Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Since 2010 and will VT ever get his money back?

Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:44 pm

The year is 2010 and there is good news and bad news.

We finished fourth in the Championship. We have a rich new owner in Vincent Tan but Swansea get promoted to the Premier League. So how have we done since then and was it worth it?

So after spending many millions of pounds on, and promising to keep us in the Premier League, we now find ourselves 24th in the Championship 20 places below where we first started. As an investor, this is somewhat of a disaster. But, if you want to compare non-football investor to another non-football investor one could say that even Elton John got his club promoted from the bottom to the top. So all in all £200-300 million wasted in my opinion.

Now the question is will he get any of that back and I reference the following websites.

The first is the present market value of players in the Championship according to transfermkt
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/marktwerteverein/wettbewerb/GB2

The second is the present market value of players in Div 1
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/marktwerteverein/wettbewerb/GB3

Now I guess the best way to value a football club is by its assets less its liabilities and according to Kieron McGuire, finance Lecturer at Liverpool Sports & Business Group, Cardiff City were worth £223m (£113m) by being in the Premier League in 2019 and following relegation were worth only £75m (£63.38m) in 2020.

In the premier league (2019) our playing staff represented 50% of the value of our club whereas the following year, when we dropped down to the Championship, our playing staff represented 84% of our value.

Today our playing staff is only worth £48m, some £15m down on 2020, and if the same 84% calculation was used then that would suggest a value of £57m

Now we know VT values the club at £200m but we can only attain that value in the Premier League and did so before we got relegated. God forbid if we got relegated to Div1, where the playing staff is worth £10m, then that would suggest a valuation of the club in the region of £12m - if the sane 84% criteria is used.

So based on the above the only way I see of VT getting his money back is by us getting back into the Premier League - and he is not going to do that on his own unless he decides to gamble £50m of his money in January.

He needs an "out" and the only way I see that is by asking Sam back into the club. Sell 50% of the shares to Sam for £100m now(£80m to VT and £20m for January Transfers) and when the club are back in the Premier League Sam agrees to buy the remainder of the shares for £75m.

VT might not like it I agree but, for me, this is the only way I see VT getting his money back.

Re: Since 2010 and will VT ever get his money back?

Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:53 pm

There is zero chance of him getting his money back without us being in the Premiership & even then it's debatable so I think we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:54 pm

There's just no way two characters like Tan and Sam could ever work together - neither would be willing to compromise or give an inch.

The club would be torn apart from within.

Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:57 pm

We all have our enemies but if it is a choice between recouping his money or the club being worth £12m in division 1 then does he have any choice?

I could see, or hope for a situation, where Sam is in charge of football operations and VT takes a bit of a back seat waiting to be paid

Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:12 pm

He will be begging hammam to come at this rate….£12 million in 8 months? Sam might aswell hang on and just go strong from league 1. Seems to work well for many clubs these days… :bluescarf:

Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:19 pm

Why does it always end up with Sam on here, he sold us 18 years ago!

Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:24 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:The year is 2010 and there is good news and bad news.

We finished fourth in the Championship. We have a rich new owner in Vincent Tan but Swansea get promoted to the Premier League. So how have we done since then and was it worth it?

So after spending many millions of pounds on, and promising to keep us in the Premier League, we now find ourselves 24th in the Championship 20 places below where we first started. As an investor, this is somewhat of a disaster. But, if you want to compare non-football investor to another non-football investor one could say that even Elton John got his club promoted from the bottom to the top. So all in all £200-300 million wasted in my opinion.

Now the question is will he get any of that back and I reference the following websites.

The first is the present market value of players in the Championship according to transfermkt

Now I guess the best way to value a football club is by its assets less its liabilities and according to Kieron McGuire, finance Lecturer at Liverpool Sports & Business Group, Cardiff City were worth £223m (£113m) by being in the Premier League in 2019 and following relegation were worth only £75m (£63.38m) in 2020.

In the premier league (2019) our playing staff represented 50% of the value of our club whereas the following year, when we dropped down to the Championship, our playing staff represented 84% of our value.

Today our playing staff is only worth £48m, some £15m down on 2020, and if the same 84% calculation was used then that would suggest a value of £57m

Now we know VT values the club at £200m but we can only attain that value in the Premier League and did so before we got relegated. God forbid if we got relegated to Div1, where the playing staff is worth £10m, then that would suggest a valuation of the club in the region of £12m - if the sane 84% criteria is used.

So based on the above the only way I see of VT getting his money back is by us getting back into the Premier League - and he is not going to do that on his own unless he decides to gamble £50m of his money in January.

He needs an "out" and the only way I see that is by asking Sam back into the club. Sell 50% of the shares to Sam for £100m now(£80m to VT and £20m for January Transfers) and when the club are back in the Premier League Sam agrees to buy the remainder of the shares for £75m.

VT might not like it I agree but, for me, this is the only way I see VT getting his money back.

This is by far the best way forward for us.

I believe this deal was on the table a few seasons back but Tan showed no interest showing off his stubbornest. I believe if this deal was to regenerate itself Sam would show no bad feelings to Tan and would work hard to make it all happen. Yes Tan would have egg back on his face but he would also get his money back. Surely Tan sees this his best option.

Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:25 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Why does it always end up with Sam on here, he sold us 18 years ago!

Because like him or not he is the best option for us.

Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:28 pm

But 50% of the club is worth at best £50 million probably less. Why would Sam pay more?

Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:41 pm

llan bluebird wrote:

But 50% of the club is worth at best £50 million probably less. Why would Sam pay more?

well you would have to ask Tan that but he has made that offer before.

Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:04 pm

I thought the stadium alone was worth about £80m?

Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:16 pm

Simplesimon wrote:I thought the stadium alone was worth about £80m?

It is we own it out right on a massive long lease with peppercorn rent for the land we are unlike most clubs who don't own there stadium . People ways forgot this , I spoke to sam last summer about what he valued the club and hd said around 60 million , there's no way in a million years that he will get tbe club for this , remember tan doesn't need to sell he's already said he's going to give away his wealth. He will hold on to it untill he's ready .

Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:20 pm

Your assuming he needs an out ?, Tan said he's going to give his wealth away I'm not sure cardiff is w business deal to him it's more of a hobby , he doesn't need to sell does he untill he wants too ? .

Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:35 pm

Wez regrettably you are right. If he doesn't want to recoup his money he doesn't have to. But I would hope any owner wants to get Premier League football and, if he cant get it, then let someone else who can and wants to.

Someone asked why would Sam pay more than the club is worth? A good question. The answer is because, like many of us, CCFC remains his club. It is a club he watches every match. He loves this place and to him this is unfinished business. In the past he run out of money. Nowadays he is richer than Tan.

Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:49 pm

We keep hearing that Sam is now richer than Tan. What are they worth & how has Sam gone from being poor (by millionaire standards) to having more money than Tan the billionaire?

I don't like or dislike either of them but I feel the same way about most people with enough money to buy a football club in either the championship or premiership, you just know there's some dodgy dealings there somewhere for them to have that much money.

Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:54 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:Wez regrettably you are right. If he doesn't want to recoup his money he doesn't have to. But I would hope any owner wants to get Premier League football and, if he cant get it, then let someone else who can and wants to.

Someone asked why would Sam pay more than the club is worth? A good question. The answer is because, like many of us, CCFC remains his club. It is a club he watches every match. He loves this place and to him this is unfinished business. In the past he run out of money. Nowadays he is richer than Tan.

He's not richer than Tan there's bo proof of this at all only what's said on here ,if he's richer he would of offered a lot more . I believe sams family have money but also does tans family . No doubt sam is passionate and a Cardiff fan to heart , I've has a few conversation with him last year or so . Tan won't go untill he's ready and that's a fact. Personally I'm not sure going back is the right way also the US owners are not always good look at the jacks . For the short term we need a new manager and back room team .

Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:29 am

I just can’t see Tan selling up yet and I think the prospective loss of value that relegation brings will push Tan to make money available, should we need it, in January. Don’t forget, unlike recent January windows , we seem to be clear of any FFP sanctions.

Similarly, I can’t see him hanging about with making a decision on Bulut. I hope he decides to get rid of him but,again, that will cost more money that he will want to recoup.

I strongly believe that Hammam is NOT the answer. Nor does he have a realistic idea of what this would cost not just to buy but also to turn around the club.

Whilst we may not like/rate Dalman I still think he’s likely to be able to pull a consortium together to buy the club at some point. The problem is we probably need it now rather than later.

I don’t want Warnock back as manager and I don’t want Hammam back as owner. Time to look forward, preferably not some dodgy US investment group like the Jacks !!

Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:32 pm

With the incredible wealth he earned as the owner of Berjaya, Tan managed to purchase Cardiff City Football Club in 2010. He spent £6 million acquiring 35% of the club's share, and has invested more than £200 million of his own money into the club.
18 May 2024... post .