Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How much of a rebuild does our squad

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:35 pm

How much of a rebuild does our squad really need?

We have an aging squad, a squad made of glass. And a manager who isn't cut out for English football.

I personally feel a full rebuild is needed.

We don't have a "spine" to play around, or a dedicated style of football that we need players to be able to play.

Out of the squad,there are 10 players I would like to see leave the club.

Re: How much of a rebuild does our squad

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:04 pm

The only player that I think I’d keep moving forward is Daland and he only played 90 minutes (which says it all really).

Ralls is too old to be building anything around long term, Ramsey is done. There’s not one player (apart from Ralls for sentimental reasons) I’d be sad to see leave which sums it up our current predicament for me.

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:24 am

Robertson?

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:24 am

Nonsense. We have players who have demonstrated success before joining us. Our squad isn't as bad as it's being made out.

Hovrath - Won a promotion with Luton Town
NG - Regular team of the week and up until Wintle got rightly shunted out of the club, was our best performing/most impact player
Goutas - Greek international (now finds himself on both club & country benches)
Chambers - Instrumental in Fulhams recent promotion squad
Daland - Not yet known, played minutes but is getting big praise for some reason
Left back - Yes, needs options. A weak spot.
Ralls - On the decline, but no-where near a relegation player.
Robertson - A huge tug of war to get him signed
Siopis - Greek interntional, still starting and playing well for Greece. Could be a poor mans Kante.
Colwill - Welsh international, probably our brightest 'prospect'
Turnbull - Ex- Scottish international, had an ok (significantly better than Cardiff) return stats for Celtic, including European goals & assists
ElGhazi - Only here to get fit, but a prem player
Robinson - A match winner on his day, proven at this level.

Ramsey & O'Dowda are play-off level, but not fit so excluding them.

No striker makes the list. Alot of young unknowns that aren't playing, then keep Tanner in a box until we play the Jacks and don't let him go down Chippy lane.

We have the tools, in my opinion (and I'm thinking top half finish, nothing more but certainly not relegation), we just need the motivator and tactician.

Bulut for me is the issue. Not one single player is showing signs of improvement under his coaching, and the majority are on the decline by either less of a return of G+A or being dropped from their international places.

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:51 am

Cannot think of one player that has progressed or improved under Erol Bulut, that sums up his disastrous failure as our manager

A rebuild is needed. Not just on the pitch.

Improve match day experience, more presence in the City and catchment area. More involvement with schools (put them in the red seats for free!) give the stadium a clean and a lick of paint, improve marketing, improve comms with fans, more involvement from fan groups, less draconian stewards, just reboot our model. Attract new customers,

In terms of on the pitch. Get rid of Bulut ASAP

A new attractive and offensive philosophy and stick to it, so if you change the gaffer, you target the replacement with pedigree of that style.

Positions I think need changing and improving on
GK
Full backs
2x Midfield
2x strikers

This takes money otherwise a rebuild will have to be done with loans and freebies which ultimately means its a long shot if you can improve. That kind of rebuild is simply replacing old with new . A rebuild that improves quality in those areas that we really need takes cash, we aint got any.

So my kind of a rebuild is pure fantasy football

Still, Onwards and upwards :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:09 am

Roath_Blue wrote:How much of a rebuild does our squad really need?

We have an aging squad, a squad made of glass. And a manager who isn't cut out for English football.

I personally feel a full rebuild is needed.

We don't have a "spine" to play around, or a dedicated style of football that we need players to be able to play.

Out of the squad,there are 10 players I would like to see leave the club.

This season was the big rebuild ? Tan full backing 2 year contract top 2 & 6 exspected .

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:08 am

I think if bulut. Has lost the dressing room , which seems likely and players are being played out of position or being held back or another reason. Then a simple change of manager with the right tactics and maybe a 4.4.2 and players playing to their strengths. No doubt the players have quality , just need to gel and shine together.

Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:46 pm

I agree with an above poster in that the main squad is more than capable in the Championship.

But it is the strikers that let us down and, despite so many free agents none have been signed

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=Sturm&spielerposition_id=alle&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

The problem is with having strikers who dont score is that those who would normally attack are now defending and it shouldnt be that way.

In the absence of signing others I think we should play Kanga & Reindorf as a front two and find a formation that allows us to play Robinson as well - so we effectively have 3 strikers on the pitch.

Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:34 pm

I'm not in agreement with the squad being good enough, or the statement that SB made about how good players have been until they joined us.

A players past record or achievements mean nothing.

A first gen iPhone was technical genius when it was released, doesn't mean it is now.

Hovrath - Clanger against Burnley, not comfortable with the ball at his feet.

NG - Has been shit for us this season. Thrown his toys out the pram maybe? More interested in winding up the opposition.

Goutas - Yes, good enough.

Chambers - might still be settling in, but doesn't look that comfortable.

Daland - looked solid when he played.

Left back - our weakest area apart from striker.

Ralls - Maybe not relegation, but an aging player on the decline is NOT top 6 material.

Robertson - Keep

Siopis - has been shit a lot of the time.

Colwill - needs more games in a row. Keep.

Turnbull - Past stats in the Scottish prem doesn't come into it. Its a shite league.

ElGhazi - he's gone next summer. We can't keep him. He's going back to prem.

Robinson - Sicknote Steve

Ramsey - Been shite for us this season. Big wages, always injured.

ODowda - decent if fit.

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:33 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:I'm not in agreement with the squad being good enough, or the statement that SB made about how good players have been until they joined us.

A players past record or achievements mean nothing.

A first gen iPhone was technical genius when it was released, doesn't mean it is now.

Hovrath - Clanger against Burnley, not comfortable with the ball at his feet.

NG - Has been shit for us this season. Thrown his toys out the pram maybe? More interested in winding up the opposition.

Goutas - Yes, good enough.

Chambers - might still be settling in, but doesn't look that comfortable.

Daland - looked solid when he played.

Left back - our weakest area apart from striker.

Ralls - Maybe not relegation, but an aging player on the decline is NOT top 6 material.

Robertson - Keep

Siopis - has been shit a lot of the time.

Colwill - needs more games in a row. Keep.

Turnbull - Past stats in the Scottish prem doesn't come into it. Its a shite league.

ElGhazi - he's gone next summer. We can't keep him. He's going back to prem.

Robinson - Sicknote Steve

Ramsey - Been shite for us this season. Big wages, always injured.

ODowda - decent if fit.

So it's not the manager & his tactics then? We just have old, crap players.

You might be right but most people think it's the manager & his tactics.