Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

For me He was outstanding and controlled the game and is get

Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:46 am

For me He was outstanding and controlled the game and is getting better every game Rubin, he just needed to start games and be given a run.

WE HAVE FINALLY PRODUCED A QUALITY CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYER:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: For me He was outstanding and controlled the game and is

Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:19 am

He just hasn’t any weapons. Primarily he is a passer. He makes tanner appear much better than he is by putting ball where he needs to be, with more a little more gas up top we’d see that passing range even more effective

Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:23 am

Agreed with op. He dictated the pace and ALWAYS wanted to go forward.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:29 am

Agree 100%. He showed everyone what he's capable of, we now need a manager who can bring the best out of him week in week out.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:48 am

He definitely fitter this season and works a lot harder

Technically he has always been very good but is more consistent this season now he is a first team regular

Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:15 am

He played really well last night, bags of skill. Millwall just couldn't cope with him.

We just need more goals. As a 10, he should be on the score sheet more.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:29 am

My critisim is a bit safe on the passes and seems to not want to shoot. First half he had the ball and could of crossed into the box, pass it in front of Tanner or cut in and take a shot, but he held on to the ball and then it went backwards when we had players in the box.

Hopefully the more games he plays he gets more confidence to play forward balls and have a couple of shots. Footwork was excellant last night quite often went past two players

Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:54 am

He now needs to learn to pace himself, he was knackered by the 75th minute, although he still made some quality plays up until he went off.

he needs to be more confident when in front of goal as he can smash them from 20 yards with ease, we saw that against Southampton.

now hes gotten over the growing pains issue he's starting to show his quality. Bright future ahead for Rubin

Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:57 am

Always been a Rubin fan from very first time I saw him for us. I appreciate I do have rose tinted spectacles with our local/Welsh players! But easily my favourite player for us. Easily the most forward thinking, creative and exciting player in a blue shirt over the last few seasons. And does need that trust from his gaffer and therefore a run of games.
Some points.

Would have progressed far more in a more offensive fluid team, Bulut stifled and criticised him, coached the shit out of him.

Because he has been a fluid player in a static sideways team, trying things, he often unfairly has been made a scapegoat and criticized, assessed more than any other player

Decision making at critical moments still needs to improve, assists and goals stats back this up, hes admitted this himself, a few moments last night where he could have made the difference with a moment of quality, I saw his head in his hands he knows this

As a 10 the solution to our historic yet to be solved isolated striker issue, is that he gets closer to the 9. In and around his fringes, he doesn't do enough of that, he drifts out wide to support the winger time after time, and as we dont really have box to box midfielders, when he looks to cross theres hardly any bodies in the box, thats where he should be or around the D or penalty spot. Last season he was coming deep a lot picking up the ball from the centre backs, that has lessened this season.

Or should he play deeper? encouraging us to be more forward thinking from deep? Bringing players into play?

He is putting in a shift, work rate improved, hes not pacy but neither was Ramsey. He is making the 10 position his own now at City, need to do the same with Wales.

:ayatollah:

Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:02 am

I disagree.

Too many bad decisions. Lost the ball about five times in the first half.

Should have scored at least one of his chances.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:07 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:I disagree.

Interesting. What would you give him out of 10?

Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:08 am

Man of the match for me,
Worked more than any other player in our side goutas had a good game,
but colwill worked his socks off "well done lad" not 100% perfect but what player is,
some fans want messi but he drops bollocks also mislaid passes etc.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:11 am

SB 1927 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:I disagree.

Interesting. What would you give him out of 10?

He had the right intentions and was dangerous to the opposition. But the OP used the word outstanding, which I can't agree with.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:13 am

tangledupinblue wrote:Always been a Rubin fan from very first time I saw him for us. I appreciate I do have rose tinted spectacles with our local/Welsh players! But easily my favourite player for us. Easily the most forward thinking, creative and exciting player in a blue shirt over the last few seasons. And does need that trust from his gaffer and therefore a run of games.
Some points.

Would have progressed far more in a more offensive fluid team, Bulut stifled and criticised him, coached the shit out of him.

Because he has been a fluid player in a static sideways team, trying things, he often unfairly has been made a scapegoat and criticized, assessed more than any other player

Decision making at critical moments still needs to improve, assists and goals stats back this up, hes admitted this himself, a few moments last night where he could have made the difference with a moment of quality, I saw his head in his hands he knows this

As a 10 the solution to our historic yet to be solved isolated striker issue, is that he gets closer to the 9. In and around his fringes, he doesn't do enough of that, he drifts out wide to support the winger time after time, and as we dont really have box to box midfielders, when he looks to cross theres hardly any bodies in the box, thats where he should be or around the D or penalty spot. Last season he was coming deep a lot picking up the ball from the centre backs, that has lessened this season.

Or should he play deeper? encouraging us to be more forward thinking from deep? Bringing players into play?

He is putting in a shift, work rate improved, hes not pacy but neither was Ramsey. He is making the 10 position his own now at City, need to do the same with Wales.

Excellent post.

Maybe a 4-1-4-1 formation would suit him better or a 4-3-3 like Man city.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:15 am

Perhaps you may change your mind - like you did with Bulut ( and Chambers ). Rubin is one of our best players - no doubt.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:31 am

MikeO76 wrote:
tangledupinblue wrote:Always been a Rubin fan from very first time I saw him for us. I appreciate I do have rose tinted spectacles with our local/Welsh players! But easily my favourite player for us. Easily the most forward thinking, creative and exciting player in a blue shirt over the last few seasons. And does need that trust from his gaffer and therefore a run of games.
Some points.

Excellent post.

Maybe a 4-1-4-1 formation would suit him better or a 4-3-3 like Man city.

Mike, with the players we have currently, Robinson is better and more effective in the pocket up front not leading the line. So playing off Kanga for example, Rubin then maybe in an advanced midfield role. That would take a 4-3-2-1 with full backs adding the width which I dont think we have the players for! So maybe my personal choice a 3-4-1-2 A good manager coming in, hopefully can fix the conundrum of Rubin and Robbo! This next appointment is huge. I hope whoever it is, is a Rubin fan and admires and promotes his natural offensive qualities rather than over focus on his shortcomings defensively like you know who did.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:36 am

mugsy wrote:Perhaps you may change your mind - like you did with Bulut ( and Chambers ). Rubin is one of our best players - no doubt.

I really rate him which is why I'm so critical of him. He has to improve his decision making and quality in front of goal.

Does slightly irritate me that he'll play a five yard pass to the player next to to him and some people are making out he's done something amazing.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:04 am

Some points.

Absolutely spot on about Rubin
:bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:15 am

Annis, the way he ghosts past defenders with no effort is a pleasure to watch.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:24 am

Awesome player keep it up Rubin :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:46 am

I see Bellamy has overlooked him again

Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:54 am

He is getting game time now , so for people like myself who rates him we cannot complain. He definitely needs to improve in areas - and I hope he takes it onboard. Main point he is good enough to be in the first 11.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:00 am

As I've said previously and last night showed got bags talent but final decision making is still poor but hopefully if he gets a consistent rum he'll learn he can shoot without fear cross without fear and even make 40yrd passes forward without fear and not feel he as to play safe..... do that he'll be new rambo.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:35 am

His choices let him down somewhat, but that's where experience comes in.

Give him a good run of games, and no doubt he will make better decisions.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:48 pm

He's got bags of talent but he needs a good manager to get him to a constant level , he still doesn't look fit but none of the players do.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:48 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:His choices let him down somewhat, but that's where experience comes in.

Needs a good coach to teach him more.

Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:06 am

wez1927 wrote:
Roath_Blue wrote:His choices let him down somewhat, but that's where experience comes in.

Needs a good coach to teach him more.

And a Barber to cut his hair to a number one and grow it back naturally, I'm not a fan of poncing around with dyed blonde hair, Robinson the same.

He played well though and is getting better.

Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:14 am

He’s a good player but I think he needs to work on his decision making. He lost the ball a fair few times as he was just trying to do everything himself sometimes rather than do an easy ball to another player .

Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:08 am

Rubin Colwill is the biggest talent and most brightest talent that Wales has produced for a long long time:

Rubin aged 22 and has now played in over 100 Cardiff City games.

"He is the biggest and most brightest talent that Wales have had for a long, long time."

That is how highly Matty Jones, Wales's under-21s boss, thinks of Rubin Colwill. So, too, do many of his ardent backers and fans of Cardiff City, who have for so long wondered why his trajectory has not skyrocketed in recent years.

“Rubin needs to start and be given the backing for his confidence and you will then see real talent.”

“I watched him against Millwall and Rubin controlled the game, start him every game.”

"For Rubin, he is still faced with that dilemma of being on the periphery of the (first-team) squad," Jones said. "He has healthy competition in front of him in the senior squad, but at the moment he's lucky to be eligible to play for the under-21s, at least then he can fall back and still have international exposure.“

"We are going to give him full backing, full support. He excites me every time I watch him play, because he can make something happen in the game. I was there on Tuesday night, seeing those moments of brilliance. I think it's the whole package we are looking to support Rubin with and making sure he is heavily motivated to do the other side of the game."

The game to which Jones alludes was Cardiff's 1-0 win over Millwall, during which Colwill was praised lavishly for sparking the hosts' attack into life on a number of occasions. Forcing a smart double save from the Lions keeper and going close with a cute free-kick from 20 yards were just some of the moments which got fans off their seats.