Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Wales or 'Cymru'?

Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:31 am

Anyone else fed up with the Football Association of Wales pushing 'Cymru' out everywhere? It WALES and always will be.

Cymru is for the welsh speakers only, surely?

Or, are the Football Association of Wales going to rebrand as the Football Association of Cymru?

Will those behind 'Cymru' request that titles such as the Prince of Wales be renamed to the Prince of Cymru?

The Welsh speakers are already trying to ruin the names Snowden and the Brecon Beacons, with some unpronounceable words.

I have no problem with the word Cymru, when it's used in the Welsh language, but for most of us, it's not used.

Re: Wales or 'Cymru'?

Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:45 am

A non issue for me.

Far more pressing thoughts like 'what will it take to get Siopis back to September '23 form?' or 'The Romans gave us the blueprint for how to make roads, 100s of years ago. Why are overweight council employees throwing tarmac around on repeat?' or 'I wonder where Chris Burke is, right now. I wonder what he's up to.'.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:06 am

WALES

Without a doubt and that’s what the whole of the world know us as.

It’s taken years for them to recognise Wales, so they need to stop this for a few, outspoken.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:37 am

Not bothered either way.

I'm a proud welshman and one of my biggest regrets is not being able to speak Welsh.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:01 pm

I feel Welsh is being forced upon us by a noisy influential minority. Adverts in Welsh on English speaking TV and YouTube etc. We spend a fortune on it and , in my humble opinion, it could be better spent on more pressing matters. BTW Welsh used to be spoken right up the west of GB right into central Scotland.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:25 pm

Woodruff wrote:Anyone else fed up with the Football Association of Wales pushing 'Cymru' out everywhere? It WALES and always will be.

Or, are the Football Association of Wales going to rebrand as the Football Association of Cymru?

Will those behind 'Cymru' request that titles such as the Prince of Wales be renamed to the Prince of Cymru?

The Welsh speakers are already trying to ruin the names Snowden and the Brecon Beacons, with some unpronounceable words.

I have no problem with the word Cymru, when it's used in the Welsh language, but for most of us, it's not used.

I totally agree with you. The organisation has slowly been taken over by the language lobby. They jumped on the bandwagon in 2016 and those on the FA who don't feel comfortable with it are afraid to speak out. My wife and two sons are both fluent Welsh speakers and I was for many years a governor of a Welsh medium school so its not as if i am anti Welsh language. What I am against is having things imposed upon me by an unrepresentative clique

Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:58 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Anyone else fed up with the Football Association of Wales pushing 'Cymru' out everywhere? It WALES and always will be.

I totally agree with you. The organisation has slowly been taken over by the language lobby. They jumped on the bandwagon in 2016 and those on the FA who don't feel comfortable with it are afraid to speak out. My wife and two sons are both fluent Welsh speakers and I was for many years a governor of a Welsh medium school so it's not as if i am anti Welsh language. What I am against is having things imposed upon me by an unrepresentative clique

Absolutely this - it is being imposed on us. I'm not anti-Welsh language, but I have no interest in it at all and will never learn it. It serves no purpose to most people in Wales.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:01 pm

Forever Blue wrote:WALES

It’s taken years for them to recognise Wales, so they need to stop this for a few, outspoken.

You're right - it's hard enough trying to tell people where or what Wales is.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:11 pm

Wales for me. I’ve always called our country Wales and I will continue to do so.
It’s great we have 2 languages here and if peoples want to use Cymru that’s great. I exercise my choice to use Wales.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:13 pm

JJ1927 wrote:

I totally agree with you. The organisation has slowly been taken over by the language lobby. They jumped on the bandwagon in 2016 and those on the FA who don't feel comfortable with it are afraid to speak out. My wife and two sons are both fluent Welsh speakers and I was for many years a governor of a Welsh medium school so its not as if i am anti Welsh language. What I am against is having things imposed upon me by an unrepresentative clique

They are trying to get their teeth in to
Rugby too but haven’t had as much luck there yet.

I’m very proud we have 2 languages and it’s great people wish to learn it and use it. However a significant number of people don’t know it and won’t learn it. This mission creep of eliminating English words is wrong and divisive.

Wales. Snowdon. Brecon Beacons.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:18 pm

Cymru for me. Wales actually means foreigner.
I think it’s great that the original labels are being used for Yr Wyddfa and Bannau Brycheiniog before the english version was imposed on us.
The more the language is used (written and orally) then the better, it is a language that defines us.
If you don’t want to speak Welsh then fine but a little historical education might reduce for fear of the Welsh language.
Cymru Am Byth.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:25 pm

I don’t think anyone is scared of the language. I’m certainly not.
English words aren’t being imposed on us. Perhaps a few centuries ago, even a few decades ago maybe. But not now.

It’s great it’s being kept alive and it absolutely should be encouraged. But we aren’t lesser citizens because we have not been raised speaking it and our life priorities and Choices mean it’s not important for us.

Bilingual absolutely. But none of this gradual phase
Out or English names hoping no one will notice and those that do get gaslight.

Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:04 pm

I don't understand those who say they're not anti-welsh but then complain when it's used. The vast majority of socials from thr faw are in English with a few Welsh words thrown in. If you live in Wales you probably use Welsh in your English everyday, so what's a few different words and on top of that you don't have to if you don't want to.

The FAW are in a good position to promote the language so they should, a few friends kids' said they wanted to start learning after hearing Ben Davies speak on the BBC in the world cup a few years ago. So cadwch y waith dda'n mynd

Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:53 am

So long as there’s no pissing in the reservoirs

Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:29 am

Agree with all that.

Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:35 am

Can’t imagine a world where I care about this tbh.

Nobody is forcing anything on anybody. And if you happen hear the word ‘Cymru’, which essentially means ‘fellow country man’, (as opposed to Wales which means foreigners), I’m sure you’ll survive

Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:21 am

tcblue wrote:Can’t imagine a world where I care about this tbh.

Nobody is forcing anything on anybody. And if you happen hear the word ‘Cymru’, which essentially means ‘fellow country man’, (as opposed to Wales which means foreigners), I’m sure you’ll survive

It IS being forced on us. As someone said, they've changed the names of Snowden and Brecon Beacons which is known the world over, they have put Welsh first in all official letters and notices, it's now first on all new road signs. And some of the road names on new estates are ridiculous and I bet even Welsh speakers have a job pronouncing them. So yes, It's being forced on us, so go on, tell us if we don't like it we can move!!!!!

Fri Oct 04, 2024 12:42 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:WALES

You're right - it's hard enough trying to tell people where or what Wales is.

Correct.

When I first moved to Spain in My Daughter’s Spanish School they had never heard of Wales, then Gareth Bale Signed fo Real Madrid and they started saying Wales, why would the Welsh FA now after over a 100 yrs complicate it all.

99% of people in Wales say Wales and then they go abroad, they say immediately they come from Wales.

I’ve never met anyone who has said Cymru.

Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:20 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:Not bothered either way.

I'm a proud welshman and one of my biggest regrets is not being able to speak Welsh.

I’m also a proud Welshman but have no interest in the language whatsoever. It’s wales for me.

Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:21 pm

Woodruff wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

I totally agree with you. The organisation has slowly been taken over by the language lobby. They jumped on the bandwagon in 2016 and those on the FA who don't feel comfortable with it are afraid to speak out. My wife and two sons are both fluent Welsh speakers and I was for many years a governor of a Welsh medium school so it's not as if i am anti Welsh language. What I am against is having things imposed upon me by an unrepresentative clique

Absolutely this - it is being imposed on us. I'm not anti-Welsh language, but I have no interest in it at all and will never learn it. It serves no purpose to most people in Wales.

Good post.

Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:32 pm

Find it very strange that people are opposed to the Welsh language. I'm not a fluent Welsh speaker by any means but I love hearing and seeing it. We should be proud of it!

Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:26 pm

It’s not correct to say anyone is AGAINST the language. We aren’t. We are against the English being purposefully phased out and dropped. We have 2 languages. They are meant to have equal status. That means using both. That means we can universally refer to Wales as Wales AND Cymru. Not just Cymru. The Brecon Beacons can remain as that officially alongside bannau brechyniog and Snowdon can remain Snowdon alongside Yr Wyddfa.

By unilaterally ditching a name to fit an agenda that some have but not others is Divisive when we should all be pulling together.

We can not change the past. How we all ended up speaking English in Wales is open to discussion about its rights and wrongs. But now, today, we do speak English. It’s not a slight against the Welsh language and the language is not the only thing that makes us Welsh. The fact we have 2 languages is amazing and it’s fantastic we can keep Welsh going. But according to stats, for most of us, English is our natural and instinctive means of communication with the world. Just leave both languages be. Support and encourage Welsh but don’t denigrate and erase the English words bit by bit.

Fri Oct 04, 2024 10:57 pm

welshrarebit wrote:It’s not correct to say anyone is AGAINST the language. We aren’t. We are against the English being purposefully phased out and dropped. We have 2 languages. They are meant to have equal status. That means using both. That means we can universally refer to Wales as Wales AND Cymru. Not just Cymru. The Brecon Beacons can remain as that officially alongside bannau brechyniog and Snowdon can remain Snowdon alongside Yr Wyddfa.

By unilaterally ditching a name to fit an agenda that some have but not others is Divisive when we should all be pulling together.

We can not change the past. How we all ended up speaking English in Wales is open to discussion about its rights and wrongs. But now, today, we do speak English. It’s not a slight against the Welsh language and the language is not the only thing that makes us Welsh. The fact we have 2 languages is amazing and it’s fantastic we can keep Welsh going. But according to stats, for most of us, English is our natural and instinctive means of communication with the world. Just leave both languages be. Support and encourage Welsh but don’t denigrate and erase the English words bit by bit.

Good points made.