Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Vacant Cardiff Job is not an Attractive one for Managers,Say

Thu Oct 03, 2024 3:32 pm

Former West Brom, Sunderland and Wolves striker Don Goodman believes the vacant Cardiff post is not an attractive one for managers.

"Is it an attractive job? Given the number of managers they've been through and their start to the season, I don't think it is. That might be their problem and people could turn it down."

The Bluebirds are searching for a new boss, with interim manager Omer Riza having thrown his hat in the ring, but believes that given the number of managers who have been fired from the post in recent years, thinks some could even turn it down.

The former player turned commentator also threw four names into the ring with regards to possible candidates Vincent Tan and Co should be looking at.

"Cardiff City had got off to their worst start in 100 plus years and are looking for their 12th permanent manager in 14 years under Vincent Tan. It's an indicator that the hierarchy is not reliable in picking the right man for the job" Goodman told Grosvenor Sport.

"Cardiff have just tamely fallen away since they were relegated in 2019 and you have never really given them a chance of being able to compete at the top of the Championship.

"They have just one win and morale must be on the floor. It's going to take one heck of a turnaround from the new manager. They can either go down the experienced route with someone like Rob Page, Ryan Lowe and Gary Rowett or go for a younger manager with someone like Steven Schumacher.

"Is it an attractive job?

“Given the number of managers they've been through and their start to the season, I don't think it is. That might be their problem and people could turn it down."

Re: Vacant Cardiff Job is not an Attractive one for Managers

Thu Oct 03, 2024 4:10 pm

Can say that about several clubs in championship who changes coach frequently. Plus average time in job 9months so can say championship is unattractive to any coach? bulut was 7th longest in championship before going! Job is a difficult one due to Tans expectations but the fans expectations are also equally high .... as said earlier bristol coach on way out if lose couple of games more maybe after losing to city?

Thu Oct 03, 2024 4:14 pm

Absolute bullshit.

Many managers who are good enough would their arm to manage any Championship club.

This is a lazy view from a pundit because a new manager hasn't been appointed. I'm definitely not a fan of Tan but the plan was always for Riza to have these three games, so this is just a lazy comment from Goodman.

Thu Oct 03, 2024 4:42 pm

Rob Page ? As if
One of the worst managers I’ve ever seen
Get a f*cking grip

Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:19 pm

I never listen to much that Don Goodman says.

Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:55 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Absolute bullshit.

Many managers who are good enough would their arm to manage any Championship club.

This is a lazy view from a pundit because a new manager hasn't been appointed. I'm definitely not a fan of Tan but the plan was always for Riza to have these three games, so this is just a lazy comment from Goodman.

Totally agree

Thu Oct 03, 2024 6:03 pm

I agree, Ned; and the one question I would ask is ‘Who was the last manager gotten rid of that we (the supporters) didn’t want or agree with…?

The ‘problem’ for me, lies with the recruitment process; and the ability of those chosen to get the job done…!

Thu Oct 03, 2024 6:34 pm

Sven wrote:

I agree, Ned; and the one question I would ask is ‘Who was the last manager gotten rid of that we (the supporters) didn’t want or agree with…?

The ‘problem’ for me, lies with the recruitment process; and the ability of those chosen to get the job done…!

This.

Thu Oct 03, 2024 7:06 pm

Sven wrote:

Spot on.

Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:36 am

Richy roofer ccfc wrote:Rob Page ? As if
One of the worst managers I’ve ever seen
Get a f*cking grip

2nd that f.cking awful manger out of his depth.

Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:12 pm

I don’t think it is attractive, not with Tan and co in charge. Let’s see, what managers we have had in the last 10/15 years have gone on to be successful? Have we ever even had one. They barely work again. It’s like the graveyard of managers.

Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:46 pm

Ole went on to manage one of the biggest teams in Europe and got them to a second place finish in the premier league and a europa league final.

Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:56 pm

goats wrote:I don’t think it is attractive, not with Tan and co in charge. Let’s see, what managers we have had in the last 10/15 years have gone on to be successful? Have we ever even had one. They barely work again. It’s like the graveyard of managers.

I'm not fan of Tan but here's what all his managers went on to do:

Malky - Wigan and Scottish PL

Solskjaer - Man Utd

Slade - Charlton and Coventry

Trollope - Premier League assistant manager

Warnock - Middlesbrough

Harris - currently at Millwall

McCarthy - Blackpool

Morison - got back in the EFL

Hudson - Premier League coach

Lamouchi - Saudi club's manager

So all of them went on to manage at EFL level at least.

Not fair to say it's a graveyard from managers.

I will repeat that many decent managers would love to manage a Championship club, regardless of the state they're in or the owner.

Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:29 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
goats wrote:I don’t think it is attractive, not with Tan and co in charge. Let’s see, what managers we have had in the last 10/15 years have gone on to be successful? Have we ever even had one. They barely work again. It’s like the graveyard of managers.

Solskjaer - Man Utd

Warnock - Middlesbrough

McCarthy - Blackpool

I will repeat that many decent managers would love to manage a Championship club, regardless of the state they're in or the owner.

The truth is very few ex championship managers go on to do big things not when poached by a premier league club! Ones who go onto bigger things usually do so with same club.....

Sat Oct 05, 2024 7:08 am

He’s right about Tan but completely wrong about the club…
Cardiff are a great proposition for the right manager .
Unfortunately since Sir Neil, we haven’t got a manager who has been capable of dealing with the crap off the pitch whilst getting results in it

Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:04 pm

Given that many managers possess a giant ego and believe that what they do or say is always right, does anyone really believe they would be put off by having to work with Tan ? In all likelihood, as long as their salary is attractive, I'm sure managing a side with Cardiff's potential would be deemed a challenge worth taking on.

Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:57 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:

Solskjaer - Man Utd

Warnock - Middlesbrough

McCarthy - Blackpool

Malky basically went downhill, OGS only got that job because he is a united legend, no one else took him? Warnock is different, the only proper manager we’ve had in that time. All the rest have done nothing of any note, Hudson a PL coach? Crikey, that’s grasping he was a terrible manager when we had him. Just compare ours to the jacks…..

Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:20 am

MoodyBluebird wrote:Given that many managers possess a giant ego and believe that what they do or say is always right, does anyone really believe they would be put off by having to work with Tan ? In all likelihood, as long as their salary is attractive, I'm sure managing a side with Cardiff's potential would be deemed a challenge worth taking on.

They will take it for the money of course….Tan won’t employ a strong manager though, because he likes to control them, so any decent manager who wants a future won’t come here, or Tan won’t consider them anyway unless they are in the slide like McCarthy was….

Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:54 am

goats wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Solskjaer - Man Utd

Warnock - Middlesbrough

McCarthy - Blackpool

Malky basically went downhill, OGS only got that job because he is a united legend, no one else took him? Warnock is different, the only proper manager we’ve had in that time. All the rest have done nothing of any note, Hudson a PL coach? Crikey, that’s grasping he was a terrible manager when we had him. Just compare ours to the jacks…..

Yes I was thinking that about the ex Jacks managers. It really is embarrassing for a Cardiff fan.

Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:00 am

goats wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:Given that many managers possess a giant ego and believe that what they do or say is always right, does anyone really believe they would be put off by having to work with Tan ? In all likelihood, as long as their salary is attractive, I'm sure managing a side with Cardiff's potential would be deemed a challenge worth taking on.

They will take it for the money of course….Tan won’t employ a strong manager though, because he likes to control them, so any decent manager who wants a future won’t come here, or Tan won’t consider them anyway unless they are in the slide like McCarthy was….

There's enough managers out there who have gone to problem clubs its a merry-go-round ...... city's job is a very attractive one wether managers want it is an entirely different question but goodman is wrong saying its not attractive it unquestionably is...