Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Neil Warnock ‘

Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:13 am

On this day in 2016, Neil Warnock was appointed our manager

Sum up your thoughts on him
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Neil Warnock ‘

Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:46 am

Reply:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:46 am

Reply:

Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:02 am

A great manager back then, but not a great person.

Not right to bring him back, just look at what happened with him at Boro and Aberdeen. But people choose to ignore that.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:02 am

Great championship manager not sure he's the best in the premiership .

Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:15 am

Gareth Hughes has it right.

1) Keep it Simple
2) Play in Opponents half
3) Attack with Pace
4) .... and stop pissing around at the back.

Adopting this process might not necessarily get us promoted but it will stop us conceding stupid points.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:56 am

Loved him as a manager and his passion,did brilliant for us and for Plymouth Argyle.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:57 am

I remember asking Lex Immers, a couple of months after NW was appointed, what NW was like as manager.
Lex replied that he was “ruthless”, but that he would get City promoted, in due course.

Lex didn’t last very long under Warnock!

Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:06 am

He seemed a good man manager and got us promoted, Things have moved on since then though.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:13 am

Probably our best manager in recent times but he did some very dodgy deals with a lot of agents made a lot of money in the process this time not for me we need a younger head still like Schumacher

Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:50 am

Purely on what he achieved in his time here, I think he was absolutely brilliant. He lifted the spirit of the club almost immediately, comfortably removed the threat of relegation and followed that with promotion to the PL, initially playing the most dynamic football we'd seen in years.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:52 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:A great manager back then, but not a great person.

Not right to bring him back, just look at what happened with him at Boro and Aberdeen. But people choose to ignore that.

The Aberdeen episode was wierd certainly, but he did a reasonable job at Boro saving them from relegation before lifting them to 10th the next season. Didn't have a great start to the following season but hardly bad one before they sacked him. He then did a good job saving Huddersfield from relegation at the end of the the following season.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:45 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:Purely on what he achieved in his time here, I think he was absolutely brilliant. He lifted the spirit of the club almost immediately, comfortably removed the threat of relegation and followed that with promotion to the PL, initially playing the most dynamic football we'd seen in years.

Well said not to bothered about dodgy deals, just happy with what he did for us,
galvinised the fans club etc and brought mostly great times promotion how could anyone argue otherwise might hwve even stayed up if a bit more money was spent snd ee where shy of a point or 2 of staying up.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:26 pm

Saved the club for a short while but we’ve slipped back in to a divided, bitter fanbase.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:51 pm

Right up there alongside Malky as the best manager we've had. Warnock perhaps edges it coz his squad on paper should never have won automatic promotion.

Only downside is that Warnock never bought players with a project in mind, he bought them for the here and now so when he left, he didn't leave us with a great deal

Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:46 pm

If there was VAR and not the Sala tragedy; we'd have stayed up.

City legend for me.

You hear about some of his iffy deals etc but ultimately he was a success.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:09 pm

To old.Bring Malky back.
The most stupid decision taken by Tan in his tenure.Even worse that changing to red.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 7:18 pm

Never forgive him for the negative crap away to relegated Fulham in the premiership. Still believe if we had won we would have survived and Brighton down. Also Purchasing Murphy for £14 million you must be on something.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 7:22 pm

Grandstand wrote:Never forgive him for the negative crap away to relegated Fulham in the premiership. Still believe if we had won we would have survived and Brighton down. Also Purchasing Murphy for £14 million you must be on something.

Murphy didnt work for us, but he was outstanding for Norwich before we signed him.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:36 pm

SB 1927 wrote:
Grandstand wrote:Never forgive him for the negative crap away to relegated Fulham in the premiership. Still believe if we had won we would have survived and Brighton down. Also Purchasing Murphy for £14 million you must be on something.

Murphy didnt work for us, but he was outstanding for Norwich before we signed him.

I saw and read on this forum that the Norwich fans were amazed we paid that sum.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:24 pm

If it had to be Warnock, no signings. I still can't believe the Bacuna signing

Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:20 pm

He’s earns the title Sir Neil…transformed the club and delivered on the pitch / united us off it …
No longer manager material but would be a great director of football with someone like Nathan Jones .
NW has proved he can deal with the 3 Amigos

Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:21 pm

He’s earns the title Sir Neil…transformed the club and delivered on the pitch / united us off it …
No longer manager material but would be a great director of football with someone like Nathan Jones .
NW has proved he can deal with the 3 Amigos

Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:56 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:A great manager back then, but not a great person.

I feel it works at some clubs and doesn't at others, the same with players. Warnock didn't do well at some clubs before Cardiff like Leeds for example but with Cardiff it just clicked. Like I said you have players the same, great at one club, poor at the next, plenty examples of managers the same. Warnock done well with Cardiff, I feel Warnock likes to play football the way it should be in the correct spirit of the game, direct, not fannying about with a 100 passes in your own half. Would love to see him have one last crack and pull it off and walk into the sunset. :bluebird:

Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:08 am

Neil Warnock is the championship GOAT in my opinion. I don’t care what dodgy business anyone thinks he’s done, the simple fact is he got our club promoted and would have probably kept us in the prem if he had Sala and Chelsea didn’t get handed that W against us by the referees. He has the record amount of promotions from the championship and the camaraderie he established amongst the fan base and squad was like nothing I’ve ever seen. Will always love NW for what he accomplished in his time with us. Best manager we’ve had in my lifetime with Dave Jones being second best!

Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:28 am

Not sure we have the players to play the Warnock way. I felt he was a blue…