Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE ARK ROYAL...................

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:11 am

The jewel in the crown of Britains Navy is to be De-commisioned................ :oops: ....it just gets worse!

Re: THE ARK ROYAL...................

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:18 am

...... IN FAVOUR OF TWO NEW CARRIERS!!!

Though I do think they should name one of the new ones Ark Royal instead of after that crown-wearing German bint or her son, the Prince of nothing.

It's this bit that interested me:

The BBC has also learned that at least one of the new carriers will be redesigned so that it can deploy normal fighter aircraft that do not need a Harrier-style vertical lift capability.
The new design would allow American and French joint strike fighters to land on the new carrier.

To me this implies that we're going back on the orders of these new fangled F-35's the Yanks are making.

A bit of clarity is what we'll need from them lot tomorrow.

Sadly, they're politicians so we don't stand a f*cking chance of that happening.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:44 am

DaveSheffield wrote:...... IN FAVOUR OF TWO NEW CARRIERS!!!

Though I do think they should name one of the new ones Ark Royal instead of after that crown-wearing German bint or her son, the Prince of nothing.

It's this bit that interested me:

The BBC has also learned that at least one of the new carriers will be redesigned so that it can deploy normal fighter aircraft that do not need a Harrier-style vertical lift capability.
The new design would allow American and French joint strike fighters to land on the new carrier.

To me this implies that we're going back on the orders of these new fangled F-35's the Yanks are making.

A bit of clarity is what we'll need from them lot tomorrow.

Sadly, they're politicians so we don't stand a f*cking chance of that happening.

The F-35 has a model that is just normal take off and landing. To buy it VTO and STOL capability would cost a lot more. Cheaper to make the Carrier able to take normal jets so we won't get stuck in the position we are now where we have no fast jet options for the Carrier until 2019 as the Harrier looks like it's being binned.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:48 am

There is nothing 'jewel in the crown' about HMS Ark Royal, believe me...

I know of half a dozen lads working on here at the moment (i'm ex- Navy, submariner) and the only thing they comment on is the awful state of repairs she is in...

Many of the 'older heads' onboard were, apparentely, told at the beginning of the year that she wont be in service in 18 months time.