Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Lest we forget

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Tomorrow marks the 44th anniversary of the Aberfan distaster in which 28 adults and 116 children lost their lives.
I actually live in Aberfan (so does Walker) and not only is this day remembered in our tiny little village, I'm sure it is remembered worldwide.

Tomorrow spare a thought for the families involved and also the brave volunteers who saved many lives.

:ayatollah:

Re: Lest we forget

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:25 pm

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:26 pm

Billy Hunt. wrote:Tomorrow marks the 44th anniversary of the Aberfan distaster in which 28 adults and 116 children lost their lives.
I actually live in Aberfan (so does Walker) and not only is this day remembered in our tiny little village, I'm sure it is remembered worldwide.

Tomorrow spare a thought for the families involved and also the brave volunteers who saved many lives.

Still remember the scenes on the TV.
How the villagers coped afterwards only god knows. :( :(

I'll never forget what was unfolding before me on the news. (even though I was only 10) The same year my brother died of leukaemia aged 8. :(
Last edited by SBF1 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:26 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:28 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:29 pm

i went there for a drive once, went the to graves to understand more and feel the place. felt a sad place to be :cry:

r.i.p to all :(

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:31 pm

Ben wrote:i went there for a drive once, went the to graves to understand more and feel the place. felt a sad place to be :cry:

r.i.p to all :(

I have about 25 years ago. the disaster happened the same year i was born. Will visit again soon HEARTBREAKING

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:31 pm

Billy Hunt. wrote:Tomorrow marks the 44th anniversary of the Aberfan distaster in which 28 adults and 116 children lost their lives.

Very well said indeed. Coming from a former mining community, the anniversary will be on my mind tomorrow and will never be forgotten.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Well Said Thomas :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:56 pm

RIP :(

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:05 pm

R.I.P All those who died during the disaster.

As a side note - Where is Aberfan compared to Merthyr? Is it like an area of Merthyr, or on the outskirts, etc?

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:21 pm

Dafydd wrote:R.I.P All those who died during the disaster.

As a side note - Where is Aberfan compared to Merthyr? Is it like an area of Merthyr, or on the outskirts, etc?

Village in Merthyr, pretty much like people saying Canton is in Cardiff

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:24 pm

sad sad day, innocent children rip

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:56 pm

I've been walking around like the cat thats got the cream since last night, But reading this has took me down a peg or 2 and reminded me that some of the things we think are so important are not at all. r.i.p to all that lost there lives.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 pm

The people who lost their lives in such a tragic way will never be forgotten, RIP.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:02 pm

R.I.P :( :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:21 pm

i can just remember it, sad day, i will pay a visit soon have done so before only live 8 miles away, r.i.p

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:48 pm

RIP :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:52 pm

Aberfan....... a name known around the world, just such a shame its for such a sad reason.......

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 pm

R.I.P. :cry:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:40 pm

Yes its a sad day in our Valley Tomorrow...Aberfan is situated opposite Merthyr Vale...between Treharris and Hoovers in Pentrebach on the old road.

I live 4 miles from the village and was in that age group at school I remember how sad it was and how my parents were making a fuss of me during that time...we had three pits in or around our village and a small school just like the one at Pant Glas Aberfan...it could have been any school in the valleys...one eerie thing I always remember is the number of children who so sadly died that day...ammounts to the numbers in that tragic date,,,(21,10,19 66 =116) 21 st October 1966.

May they rest in peace and any surviving parents or family remain strong at this difficult anniversary.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:14 am

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:52 am

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Very Sad.
R.I.P. :( :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Our thoughts are with them. RIP. :cry: :cry:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:44 pm

Proper order :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:42 pm

RIP

So sad-as a father of 4 i cannot imagine sending them off for the day and never seeing them again.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Not forgotten and never will be.

God bless to them all and their families who have carried the pain everyday since.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:29 pm

Dafydd wrote:R.I.P All those who died during the disaster.

good call EL PEZ :ayatollah: had my minute this morning at 9am :(

dafydd aberfan is passed on the A4070 on the way up to merthyr,
you can still see the shape of the mountain where it slipped.
bloke working with me was one of the 3 that bunked off at morning, they are mentioned in the BBC documentry as being on the stone wall outside the school but never going in.