Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

REMEMBER THIS, WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:24 pm

2006 we found ourselves top of the league after 12 games with 29 points.

We all know what happened after that. :roll:

We have made a similar start this season, but do you think we will hold our own this time around.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/Lea ... 17,00.html

Whats your views. :ayatollah:

Re: REMEMBER THIS, WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:30 pm

I dont think that squad had the quality this squad did. We were playing amazing football that season but it never really felt like it was going to last.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I dont think that squad had the quality this squad did. We were playing amazing football that season but it never really felt like it was going to last.

I agree Baz, the win against Birmingham was superb and i thought we were going to be world beaters after that, how wrong was i to think that. :oops:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Dai,

Funny story, we were playing Superb Football at that stage of the Season, This year we have been playing No where near like as well.
I believe and hope we will go from strength to strength THIS SEASON :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Dai,

Funny story, we were playing Superb Football at that stage of the Season, This year we have been playing No where near like as well.
I believe and hope we will go from strength to strength THIS SEASON :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I agree mate, we are not there on merit this time around where as in 2006 we were playing quality football, if we are 2nd now after playing the last 6 or so games below par, look out when we start playing well. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:46 pm

nobby wrote:

I agree mate, we are not there on merit this time around where as in 2006 we were playing quality football, if we are 2nd now after playing the last 6 or so games below par, look out when we start playing well. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Bit harsh to say we arent 2nd on merit, we arent playing brilliantly but then I havent seen any team we have played stand out. We are second on merit but I fully believe we have another level to step up to yet

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:51 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
nobby wrote:

Bit harsh to say we arent 2nd on merit, we arent playing brilliantly but then I havent seen any team we have played stand out. We are second on merit but I fully believe we have another level to step up to yet

We have only played 3 of the teams in the top ten, and at times we have struggled against teams a lot lower than us in the league, that is why i say we are not there on merit, at times we have played terrible but have won, but that does show signs of a good team.

Im not being too critical just think we have so much more to give, :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Under DJ we usually raise our game for the big clubs (no one mention Newcastle away I still have nightmares) and struggle against the lower clubs but at least we are picking up points :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:41 am

2blue2handle wrote:I dont think that squad had the quality this squad did. We were playing amazing football that season but it never really felt like it was going to last.

I think this was the trouble. Our first 11 was one of the best in the league, but the depth our the squad wasnt there and with injuries, suspesnions and loss of form(i remember chops going a few months without scoring), we fell off.

I honestly thought at the time we beat Birmingham we were going up but didnt think about the squad situation.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:52 am

this is OUR season :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:21 am

This may sound stupid but that season we were flying and beating Wolves 4-0 we beat Brum 2-0 and Chopra was great however we got Spurs in the cup and drew 0-0 at home and nearly won it.

We then got thrashed 4-0 up there and I think it hurt our players also Mcphail was outstanding in the begining of that season
but the championship worked out he has 1 foot and it fell apart.

Look when we played Arsenal we got thumped 4-0 again we went on a terrible run after that, when you are playing well and looking to the premiership and then done over like we did against Spurs and Arsenal it hurts.

Evan Chelsea last year hurt them but over the season being the great team they are we did well to only let 4 in when you think of Wigan Stoke & Villa who had 7 put passed them plus we were the only team to score aganst them.

I hope we do not get big clubs in the cup its a great day out for us but the risk of getting a thumping can knock our players

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:57 am

Things started to change when we played Norwich on the 21 Oct, 2006, lost 0-1, i think Gilbert was sent off, & Sam announced that he was leaving our club. Coincidence or not???

Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:03 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:Things started to change when we played Norwich on the 21 Oct, 2006, lost 0-1, i think Gilbert was sent off, & Sam announced that he was leaving our club. Coincidence or not???

Just a coincidence in my opinion, as somebody else has said, we didn't have strength in depth, which we've got a bit more of now, although when we lost to Leicester and Ipswich, we had nothing to come off the bench to make any impact at all, which was the same as 2006! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:20 pm

with all the injuries we've already had, i hope we remain injury free over the christmas and new year period. Plus a big change since 2006 is that dave jones has some options now plus maybe some new additions coming in january.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:46 pm

nobby wrote:2006 we found ourselves top of the league after 12 games with 29 points.

We all know what happened after that. :roll:

We have made a similar start this season, but do you think we will hold our own this time around.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/Lea ... 17,00.html

Whats your views. :ayatollah:

I'd have taken not getting relegated after the first game of the season.

Complete opposite now

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:04 pm

defo more strength in this years squad :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:16 pm

Two ways i see this happening is we start to play well and us and QPR will pull away. Or we carry on as we are and we will get found out teams will know how to play us and we start sliding. We need to find our form in my opinion.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:47 pm

I totally agree Annis this is the year for us :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:19 pm

what we musnt do is get carried away,the hurt is all the more greater if it comes,lets take 1 game at a time and keep hoping that the team not only perform but believe in themselves :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 pm

nobby wrote:

I agree Baz, the win against Birmingham was superb and i thought we were going to be world beaters after that, how wrong was i to think that. :oops:

Agreed :ayatollah:

Re: Sticky: REMEMBER THIS, WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:54 pm

Such good memories that year, a lot of mates were away travelling and were gutted we were top then. I think its been touched on but our starting 11 was great,,,maybe the best in the league but we had nothing on the bench!!! I might be wrong but im sure roger j came on as centre forward a few times before he pushed pursey out as 1st choice centre back??

Either way, great times but so im so much more confident nowadays.....proper squad

:ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:37 am

Stronger squad this time around and for the first time I believe that DJ will be active in the Jan transfer market to make sure we can push on.Like everyone else I feel there's more to come from this side.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:14 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:Stronger squad this time around and for the first time I believe that DJ will be active in the Jan transfer market to make sure we can push on.Like everyone else I feel there's more to come from this side.

I agree, i think the team has a lot more to give, as ive said we are second in the league having not played too well the last 6 or 7 games, look out when we do start playing well. :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:52 am

Cheers Nobby :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: