Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: What is the point of S4C..?

Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:29 pm

Midfield general wrote:Complete waste of money in my book. If people want a channel which gets 0 veiwers for some of its programmes then they should fund it themselves and not be funded up the taxpayer!!!

I only ever watch it for football and rugby when there is no available alternative , otherwise I never bother at all with it .

Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:37 pm

I think they should just use BBC Wales as a Welsh language outlet and just replace the odd english programme with a Welsh one, rather than have a separate Welsh channel. This is what they used to do prior to the formation of S4C, and whilst it is annoying, it would save millions.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:43 pm

The point of S4C is to provide a Welsh language service for the 20% (and rising) population of Wales and thereby encouraging its promotion and use.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:59 pm

VCLEE wrote:The point of S4C is to provide a Welsh language service for the 20% (and rising) population of Wales and thereby encouraging its promotion and use.

Its the most subsidised channel in Europe , some programmes have as little as 40 viewers for some programmes, apparently.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Midfield general wrote:
VCLEE wrote:The point of S4C is to provide a Welsh language service for the 20% (and rising) population of Wales and thereby encouraging its promotion and use.

So could the welsh speaking population fund it themselves rather than the 80% of the population funding it too..? Whatever happened to us being a democract country..?

What makes you so sure the 80% who dont speak Welsh are unhappy about funding s4c...I think it's great that Welsh has survived as a living language and that it's still widely spoken in some parts of Wales.

Despite not speaking Welsh myself, I'm still happy to help fund s4c if it contributes to keeping our language alive.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:09 pm

It has never got zero viewers. You should try reading the article on that story better. I know because I was watching Sgorio that night.

As for what's the point of it?

Flick through your Sky channels. Al Jazeera I have no problem with, but there is so much junk on there it's unbelievable. I'd rather have S4C funded than any of that appear on my TV. And have you seen Strictly Come Dancing? Give me Sgorio anyday!! This is also why I don't have Sky.

Most importantly though, S4C was an invaluable tool when I was educating myself on the Welsh language.

And that's what it's all about.

Instead of people complaining they can't understand it, try spending a little of your time learning the language of your country. If I could sing the national anthem at the age of 5 despite neither parent being able to speak a word of the language, anybody can learn it.

It just needs a bit of self motivation and a lack of apathy. Two things which people in South Wales don't quite possess sadly.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Seriously mate, i dont think the funding of s4c warrants a national referendum :lol:

The subsidy it receives is tiny, insignificant and really pretty irrelivant in comparison to the swathing budgetary cuts announced yesterday, and Britains still ongoing and spiralling debt accumilation.

If we had a referendum for every government spending decision and departmental allocation of funds, we'd be having elections every day of the bloody week.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:38 pm

they dont even show the wales games. scrap it

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Midfield general wrote:
tommy Barry wrote:Seriously mate, i dont think the funding of s4c warrants a national referendum :lol:

The subsidy it receives is tiny, insignificant and really pretty irrelivant in comparison to the swathing budgetary cuts announced yesterday, and Britains still ongoing and spiralling debt accumilation.

If we had a referendum for every government spending decision and departmental allocation of funds, we'd be having elections every day of the bloody week.

Well tell that to the public sector workers which £75 million could go towards and save their jobs

75 mill wow thats a lot innit. Thats f all compared to the money thrown at the majority of the working age long term sicky claimants in Wales how've been swinging lead for decades.

It's also a drop in the ocean compared to the 100's of millions wasted by our far to numourous and hopelessly inefficient local authority councils...Theres plenty of other sources of far more excessive budgetary waste and ineffieciencies in this country than s4c's comparitively puny subsidy.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:16 pm

Midfield general wrote:Complete waste of money in my book. If people want a channel which gets 0 veiwers for some of its programmes then they should fund it themselves and not be funded up the taxpayer!!!

Just a Complete waste of Tax Payers money, Virtually Zero Viewings.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:37 pm

Didn't S4C show 2 live Cardiff City games last season?

You can also see the highlights for Newport County, Wrexham, and Welsh Premier every monday evening (including a live Welsh Premier game every saturday). When they are not out-priced by Murdoch's Sky, they also show live Wales games. They've also shown live u21 games in the past.

Can the BBC and ITV Wales say the same?

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:34 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:It has never got zero viewers. You should try reading the article on that story better. I know because I was watching Sgorio that night.

As for what's the point of it?

Flick through your Sky channels. Al Jazeera I have no problem with, but there is so much junk on there it's unbelievable. I'd rather have S4C funded than any of that appear on my TV. And have you seen Strictly Come Dancing? Give me Sgorio anyday!! This is also why I don't have Sky.

Most importantly though, S4C was an invaluable tool when I was educating myself on the Welsh language.

And that's what it's all about.

Instead of people complaining they can't understand it, try spending a little of your time learning the language of your country. If I could sing the national anthem at the age of 5 despite neither parent being able to speak a word of the language, anybody can learn it.

It just needs a bit of self motivation and a lack of apathy. Two things which people in South Wales don't quite possess sadly.

Well said Mate :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:42 pm

tommy Barry wrote:
Midfield general wrote:

So could the welsh speaking population fund it themselves rather than the 80% of the population funding it too..? Whatever happened to us being a democract country..?

What makes you so sure the 80% who dont speak Welsh are unhappy about funding s4c...I think it's great that Welsh has survived as a living language and that it's still widely spoken in some parts of Wales.

Despite not speaking Welsh myself, I'm still happy to help fund s4c if it contributes to keeping our language alive.

i am one of the 80percent who do not want to contribute to funding s4c

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:52 pm

If S4C cannot fund itself it should close.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:55 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:If S4C cannot fund itself it should close.

Correct Gareth, That SUMS IT UP IN ONE.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

On that basis, so should the BBC! The BBC relies on yours and my money to fund crap like Eastenders and Masterchef.

Under your theory, we'd all end up watching stuff like the X-factor because it is only those type of programmes that make any money.

The channel that gives Welsh football the biggest coverage is the S4C. That is probably most important thing to me where TV is concerned, not the 99% of drivel that is broadcasted by most TV channels.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Ger27 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

On that basis, so should the BBC! The BBC relies on yours and my money to fund crap like Eastenders and Masterchef.

Under your theory, we'd all end up watching stuff like the X-factor because it is only those type of programmes that make any money.

The channel that gives Welsh football the biggest coverage is the S4C. That is probably most important thing to me where TV is concerned, not the 99% of drivel that is broadcasted by most TV channels.

The BBC should not get a license fee. Adverts/sponsorship should pay (like Sky).

Crap like Radio 3, BBC 4 and BBC Asian Network would not exist if it wasnt for the license fee.

BBC waste millions of our money-look at how Radio 5 Live cover the same games as BBC local radio stations around the country. We pay for the likes of Ian Walsh and Ian Gwyn-Hughes to go on jollies oversea whilst 5 live also send a commentary team.

If BBC was in private sector it would be far better.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:If BBC was in private sector it would be far better.

I don't think so. It would go down the lines of ITV and Channel 4 i.e. they would show any crap as long as it brings in advertisement money. Fact is, a reality tv programme is much better financially than, say, a David Attenborough documentary or, dare I say, showing any type of Welsh football!

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:18 am

£100 million budget a year....and how many Welsh speakers????

If we put all the money we wasted on bi-lingual (yes, I said bi-LINGUAL naughty people!! :lol: ) leaflets and roadside signage into a 'pot' we'd save enough money to do something really useful....like build a few more schools or hospitals

So really the answer is "Not much!!"

:lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:41 am

But what would replace it on channel 104 on sky?! It wouldn't look right not seeing it on the tv guide page :roll: :lol: