Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If/when Bothroyd is suspended/injured

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:56 pm

How will we cope ?

What line up ahuld we go for.

Chops up front on his own ? Play Keogh ? Chops and Bellamy ?

Its still my biggest fear that he'll get injured/suspended and now its been reported on the radio he's a doubt for Monday.

Can we play without a target man - because Keogh is NOT a targetman (better than Etuhu mind :lol: )?

Re: If/when Bothroyd is suspended/injured

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Chops upfront on his own with Koumas playing just behind him.

Not 100% sure it would work, but worth a try.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:35 pm

Oli can play targetman role! The only problem being we then need a holding midfielder of Oli's standard. :?

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Lawnmower wrote:How will we cope ?

Its still my biggest fear that he'll get injured/suspended and now its been reported on the radio he's a doubt for Monday.

Can we play without a target man - because Keogh is NOT a targetman (better than Etuhu mind :lol: )?

I have said since August we need proper cover for him.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:00 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I've been saying it since August 2008 ;) :lol:

Its never been addressed and will cost us points. Its the key position to sort come January.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I've been saying it since August 2008 ;) :lol:

Its never been addressed and will cost us points. Its the key position to sort come January.

Tim

Keogh is Not good enough in my opinion.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:20 am

Keogh and Chops together IMO

Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:21 am

We will have to change the way we play as we haven't got a target man. When the time comes I think we will play Chops and Bellers up front with Burke, Oli, Drinks, Whitts in midfield.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:05 am

call somebody up from the reserve team ? oops forgot we havnt got 1 AND Nathan Jarvis is out on loan .............. seriously tho why not try Chops and Bellamy running the channels aslong as the City back 4 dont hoof long balls for the invisible Bothroyd ?

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:32 am

Forever Blue wrote:Tim

I agree, he's not good enough in the Bothroyd role. The problem is, that I don't think there's many players around who can play in the Bothroyd role. He's a big target man with a great touch, pace and he can finish and our play revolves around him when he plays.

It must be hard to find a player to cover him as they're clearly not going to play if he's fit. I think Jones has gone for different types of players to try and cover Bothroyd over the last couple of seasons who can just about cover Bothroyd if required but their best position is elsewhere. I'd say both Keogh and Etuhu are wide players who can play up front at a push.

The problem I think we have is that we're too reliant on hoofing the ball up to him or down the channels to him, especially when we're under pressure. When he's not playing we do this to whoever replaces him and it doesn't work, we should be changing our style of play when he's not around instead of expecting whoever replaces him to be a like for like replacement. If we happen to be under the cosh then we never get out of it as we don't win the ball upfield and it comes straight back at us putting us under even more pressure. We have the ability in midfield to pass the ball out of trouble we just don't do it. Our midfield is full of footballers, sometimes we just don't use them enough.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:12 pm

X-ray today.

http://www.cardiff.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... p?a=218002

Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:44 pm

only player i've seen in bothroyd's position which is similar,is emile heskey!he aint gonna drop down a league and play 2nd fiddle to bothroyd!could you name any decent cover for bothroyd!he's very talented in the role he plays.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:27 pm

asz wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Tim

I agree, he's not good enough in the Bothroyd role. The problem is, that I don't think there's many players around who can play in the Bothroyd role. He's a big target man with a great touch, pace and he can finish and our play revolves around him when he plays.

It must be hard to find a player to cover him as they're clearly not going to play if he's fit. I think Jones has gone for different types of players to try and cover Bothroyd over the last couple of seasons who can just about cover Bothroyd if required but their best position is elsewhere. I'd say both Keogh and Etuhu are wide players who can play up front at a push.

The problem I think we have is that we're too reliant on hoofing the ball up to him or down the channels to him, especially when we're under pressure. When he's not playing we do this to whoever replaces him and it doesn't work, we should be changing our style of play when he's not around instead of expecting whoever replaces him to be a like for like replacement. If we happen to be under the cosh then we never get out of it as we don't win the ball upfield and it comes straight back at us putting us under even more pressure. We have the ability in midfield to pass the ball out of trouble we just don't do it. Our midfield is full of footballers, sometimes we just don't use them enough.

asz, you're spot on. We need to change our style and start using Macca, JK, and Whitts - all extremely good passers of the ball - to ping balls over the top of the opposition's defence for bellers and chops to run onto. Attack them with pace!

Or the other option is to buy a overated 5millin pound target man who is somewhere close to Jay, which i cannot see happening!! I still think we should of kept hold of Josh Magennis for this season......he could of been Jay's replacement and hapily sit on the bench!!