Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" DJ's views on a Reserve Team . "

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:07 pm

I asked a board member to put the question regarding to have or not to have ( which is the case ) a Cardiff City reserve team to Gethin Jenkins at their meeting this week and this is the official reply .......

Recognising it is a matter more for Dave Jones, we nevertheless asked whether it would make sense to have regular reserve team fixtures, particularly to benefit players returning from injury and to give players not regularly playing in the first team, match practice. Gethin assured us that the decision not to engage in regular reserve team fixtures was a football, not financial, one. Apparently, Dave’s view is that such fixtures only increase the likelihood of players picking up injuries but one-off games are arranged when necessary, like the recent one against Bristol Rovers

so there we have it in black and white now .......................... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: DJ's views on a reserve team .

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:22 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:I asked a board member to put the question regarding to have or not to have ( which is the case ) a Cardiff City reserve team to Gethin Jenkins at their meeting this week and this is the official reply .......

Recognising it is a matter more for Dave Jones, we nevertheless asked whether it would make sense to have regular reserve team fixtures, particularly to benefit players returning from injury and to give players not regularly playing in the first team, match practice. Gethin assured us that the decision not to engage in regular reserve team fixtures was a football, not financial, one. Apparently, Dave’s view is that such fixtures only increase the likelihood of players picking up injuries but one-off games are arranged when necessary, like the recent one against Bristol Rovers

so there we have it in black and white now .......................... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tell that to Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea,Notts Forest, Leeds, Liverpool,Arsenal,QPR,Newcastle, etc etc etc etc

COMMENTS PLEASE

Re: Sticky: " DJ's views on a Reserve Team . "

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:27 pm

IF we can get promoted I believe there is a premier reserve team league and I guess we would consider playing in that as we will have to have a larger squad ?

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:32 pm

I believe we should have one and if we had, had one the last few seasons our players would of been fitter after injuries, thats just one of many of my reasons/opinions.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I believe we should have one and if we had, had one the last few seasons our players would of been fitter after injuries, thats just one of many of my reasons/opinions.

Annis Im with you on this un , how else can players get match fit if they dont play in the 1st team , plus how can DJ assess any current player in a match situation if they again dont feature in the 1st team ? Koumas is the best example ever of a player needing game time :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:36 pm

what aload of old TOSH how do you know if a player is match fit until you put im in a match :(

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:36 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I believe we should have one and if we had, had one the last few seasons our players would of been fitter after injuries, thats just one of many of my reasons/opinions.

Annis Im with you on this un , how else can players get match fit if they dont play in the 1st team , plus how can DJ assess any current player in a match situation if they again dont feature in the 1st team ? Koumas is the best example ever of a player needing game time :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Great that you Asked the Question, well done Martyn, I strongly believe in a Reserve Team :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:44 pm

I was lucky , only got my e-mail into Mike ( Dreamlike ) at the last minute .............. at least we got an answer officially but not from the horses mouth ! Looks like Gethin Jenkins is being shunted sideways to allow " Eugene " Tan to become CEO . Do you think he's got the experience for this role ? :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:44 pm

I agree with DJ on this :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:47 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:I agree with DJ on this :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Out of curiosity, Why ?

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:48 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:I agree with DJ on this :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Maybe you do but how come there's 20 managers in the Prem League who dont ? :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:

Maybe you do but how come there's 20 managers in the Prem League who dont ? :ayatollah:

And every team thats been promoted in the last 12 years, All had a Reserve team :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:57 pm

From Facebook

Nigel Pepper When I watched City in the seventies there was a league of sorts for nearly all of the first and second div second teams . Surely it would keep everybody sharper , and bringing the injured on quicker .

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:59 pm

The other week, we had Bellamy, Chopra, Drinkwater and Oli, all out with injuries, some of which were long term. If you look at the players we had to come off the bench against Ipswich and Leicester, you should notice that we had very little in the way of quality, to bring on and make any sort of impact!

As well as the players missing with injuries, there weren't too many others left out of the squad, which then leaves us with only the Academy players to come in, who have their own training and league to play in as well! We would need to increase the size of our squad drastically in my opinion, to be able to fulfill a reserve league fixture list and with the current financial climate, I would prefer that DJ spent any money available to him in January, to bring in a couple of quality signings and not a lot of lesser players, merely to play reserve team football!

Personally, I don't think that playing reserve team games will change their level of ability, unless you are playing in a quality reserve league, which doesn't appear to be available to us, unless (when :) ) we reach the Premiership! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:18 pm

DJ said it was a football and not a financial reason for not having a reserve team ................ Im sure that the 7 who usually sit on the bench plus the fringe players who wont get a look in plus 1 or 2 impressive youngsters from the U18 team would love some mid week competitive action , how else are they gonna prove to DJ thay they are good enough for the 1st team ? I bet Fergie loves the fact his reserve strikers get some goals midweek in competitive games rather than playing 3 and in against the defenders in training ? :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:27 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:DJ said it was a football and not a financial reason for not having a reserve team ................ Im sure that the 7 who usually sit on the bench plus the fringe players who wont get a look in plus 1 or 2 impressive youngsters from the U18 team would love some mid week competitive action , how else are they gonna prove to DJ thay they are good enough for the 1st team ? I bet Fergie loves the fact his reserve strikers get some goals midweek in competitive games rather than playing 3 and in against the defenders in training ? :ayatollah:

Not arguing with the concept Martyn, but I still don't think we have enough players to fulfill a reserve team season at the moment and I don't think that there's a reserve league, that's worthy of stretching our limited resources at the moment either!

If/when we get to the Premiership and have the money to increase the size of our squad, then I believe that it will be worth it, but not now in my opinion, although I may be wrong!

I know Annis mentioned that the teams promoted over the last 12 years all had reserve teams, but I suspect that they were all in receipt of parachute payments as well, which would have clearly been able to fund a far larger playing squad! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:33 pm

I know what you mean there .................. but I think that the reason we havnt got a bigger squad is down to money which would then give us a larger squad to warrant a reserve team , so in effect its financial just as much football . But I see ur point :ayatollah:

its Friday and Im being picky :lol:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:I know what you mean there .................. but I think that the reason we havnt got a bigger squad is down to money which would then give us a larger squad to warrant a reserve team , so in effect its financial just as much football . But I see ur point :ayatollah:

its Friday and Im being picky :lol:

:) :lol: :ayatollah:

I remember back in the 70's Martyn, when I used to play 2nd Division Welsh League football and having beaten Welsh Premier League opposition in the previous round, we drew Newport County in a S.A. Brain cup competion.
We expected to play their reserves at our home ground, but their reserves supposedly went down with a bout of flu and they put their first team out against us.
Well they got a shock, as we drew 1-1 with them and they only managed to beat us 4-3 on penalties, but we also kicked lumps out of them and this may be another reason why we shouldn't have a reserve team! :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:50 pm

I used to enjoy watching a Combination game down at Ninian Park on a free Tuesday afternoon years ago , especially when the likes of Spurs , Arsenal and Chelsea used to have 1 or 2 big names playing :old:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:55 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:I used to enjoy watching a Combination game down at Ninian Park on a free Tuesday afternoon years ago , especially when the likes of Spurs , Arsenal and Chelsea used to have 1 or 2 big names playing :old:

I use to really enjoy going to them, crowds of 200-400, see some stars coming Back from their injuries :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Vintage 63 wrote:I used to enjoy watching a Combination game down at Ninian Park on a free Tuesday afternoon years ago , especially when the likes of Spurs , Arsenal and Chelsea used to have 1 or 2 big names playing :old:

I use to really enjoy going to them, crowds of 200-400, see some stars coming Back from their injuries :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

saw Spurs 1 game and they had Chivers and Perryman playing for them ! :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Vintage 63 wrote:I asked a board member to put the question regarding to have or not to have ( which is the case ) a Cardiff City reserve team to Gethin Jenkins at their meeting this week and this is the official reply .......

Tell that to Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea,Notts Forest, Leeds, Liverpool,Arsenal,QPR,Newcastle, etc etc etc etc

COMMENTS PLEASE

Annis

It is a requirement of the Premier League that all its members operate a reserve team in a proper league.

There is no obligation to do so below that level so only a minority of teams enter a reserve league. Some London clubs outside the Premier have regular games between themselves as travel is easy and cheap.

I would love to see City have a reserve team , but can understand (if not wholly agree with ) Dave Jones` reasons for not wanting to have one.

Keith

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:31 pm

I think the whole 'reserve league' needs a complete makeover. In spain, the reserves actually play in the leagues. we need to added them to the conference or league 2 or find a suitable way of allowing players who dont play regulary to play in more competitive matches. The only thing the reserve league is good for is fitness. But its not the best, if players out of the team, were still playing on saturdays when the 'A' team were playing, they may be more happy at the club, if they putn in a good performance, then they know next week they got a chance of playing for the full squad. .....or something like that.. Thats my view anyway.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:53 pm

I don’t think we have a big enough squad to operate a reserve team in a league. I think the friendly system we use is fine for the squad we have now but we should have a game once every 2/3 weeks whereas at the moment it is only once in a blue moon.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:08 pm

since62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

COMMENTS PLEASE

Annis

It is a requirement of the Premier League that all its members operate a reserve team in a proper league.

There is no obligation to do so below that level so only a minority of teams enter a reserve league. Some London clubs outside the Premier have regular games between themselves as travel is easy and cheap.

I would love to see City have a reserve team , but can understand (if not wholly agree with ) Dave Jones` reasons for not wanting to have one.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Well that Answers everything, If its a Requirement then it must be good for football clubs and not cause injuries to your own team.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:10 pm

On My Facebook

3 hours ago · Comment · Like · Share
Donna Kennett likes this.
Nigel Pepper When I watched City in the seventies there was a league of sorts for nearly all of the first and second div second teams . Surely it would keep everybody sharper , and bringing the injured on quicker .
3 hours ago · Unlike · 1 person
Roger Phillips I can remember watching City v Spurs (late 60's I think) Leighton Phillips impressed me for City and a certain Graeme Souness was brilliant for Spurs--they both went on to have brilliant careers in football.
2 hours ago · Like
Paul Mond Hammond we dont exactly have a big pool of players, so i get DJ's reluctance.
however mix and match with some of our youth could surley be great for city, in seniors fitness and valuable experience for our youngsters??
about an hour ago · Like
Nigel Pepper God knows our defence subs could do with a regular outing so to encourage the first team backs to pay more attention when they play. We are winning but we all know about goal difference and what it can mean!
about an hour ago · Like
Nigel Pepper I agree with anon totaly.
about an hour ago · Like

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:24 pm

I would love to see CCFC have a reserve team..... def believe its part of having a successful team, helping players coming back from injury and helping up and coming players improve their game..... would also i think be good for 1st team players, knowing that there was a team of reserve players fighting to get into the 1st team.... really keep the 1st team on their toes :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Hi Keith,

Well that Answers everything, If its a Requirement then it must be good for football clubs and not cause injuries to your own team.

How does that answer everything? The counter argument is, the regulatory bodies below the Premier League don't enforce a Reserve league because they don't believe its necessarily a good thing.

If we enter a reserve league, I believe we are pooled with the likes of Exeter, Bristol and Yeovil. If we want a friendly with these teams then we can get that arrange quite easily, as proved a few weeks back.

I saw a lot of Reserve Football during the beginning of DJ's reign and it was shit. They'd have been just as good playing a training match between themselves, it was that bad. There are two many matches in our main league to fanny about in a reserve league against lower league journeymen and youngsters, who often kicked lumps out of players and would mean they end up missing proper games.

There are benefits of a Reserve League and I agree with it in principle, but I would steer well clear until we are in the Premier League. At this stage I believe we would have access to more respected opponents, aswell as having a larger squad who could cope with it.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Dan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Hi Keith,

How does that answer everything? The counter argument is, the regulatory bodies below the Premier League don't enforce a Reserve league because they don't believe its necessarily a good thing.

If we enter a reserve league, I believe we are pooled with the likes of Exeter, Bristol and Yeovil. If we want a friendly with these teams then we can get that arrange quite easily, as proved a few weeks back.

I saw a lot of Reserve Football during the beginning of DJ's reign and it was shit. They'd have been just as good playing a training match between themselves, it was that bad. There are two many matches in our main league to fanny about in a reserve league against lower league journeymen and youngsters, who often kicked lumps out of players and would mean they end up missing proper games.

There are benefits of a Reserve League and I agree with it in principle, but I would steer well clear until we are in the Premier League. At this stage I believe we would have access to more respected opponents, aswell as having a larger squad who could cope with it.

It does not matter if its Shit, it gets Our Squad Fit, 98% of Football League Clubs have a RESERVE TEAM, ARE THEY ALL WRONG ?

Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Dan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Hi Keith,

It does not matter if its Shit, it gets Our Squad Fit, 98% of Football League Clubs have a RESERVE TEAM, ARE THEY ALL WRONG ?

Of course it matters if its shit or not, I'm not sure how much Reserve team football you saw when we last entered but it was utter trash and was no more productive than a 11 a side kick about against the youth team. You seem to have ignored the part about our players getting kicked and missing games as was prominent last time we were involved.

At the moment we play games on our terms, when our highly paid management team decide its appropriate. Not when we are forced too by a two-bit league system. Why take it out of our control and be governed by something we don't have to be.

As far as I'm aware Dave Jones isn't against reserve team football in general, however he doesn't belief its beneficial for us, with our squad, to enter the league we have the option to and based on previous experience I don't blame him.

I haven't even touched the fact that half of the mickey mouse teams would cancel the matches on the morning of the games and backlogs forming.

As for 98% of football league teams having a reserve team... That's down to their managers isn't it. Its not always a good thing to copy and follow suit.