Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Wage caps

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Just reading that Wayne Rooney is now apparantly on around £200k a week. Now lets get some perspective here he is earning in 1 week what I will earn in 10 years , !!! AND im sure that s the same for many of us here. I feel football is becoming sick to the core and the premiership wages are now out of control. Clubs like Pompey tried to keep up with the big boys and are now crippled many others are heading in that direction, If I could change one thing in football it would be to cap wages and follow certain european countries, fans then can pay sensible money to watch what is after all a game of football.

Re: Wage caps

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:55 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:Just reading that Wayne Rooney is now apparantly on around £200k a week. Now lets get some perspective here he is earning in 1 week what I will earn in 10 years , !!! AND im sure that s the same for many of us here. I feel football is becoming sick to the core and the premiership wages are now out of control. Clubs like Pompey tried to keep up with the big boys and are now crippled many others are heading in that direction, If I could change one thing in football it would be to cap wages and follow certain european countries, fans then can pay sensible money to watch what is after all a game of football.

You are right of course , the level of pay to some players is now out of order and can`t be justified.Even average or journeymen players are paid several tens of thousands a week but seldom see regular first team action and some are more than willing to stick with that lifestyle - remember Winston Bogarde at Chelsea?

I have seen the argument that if he helps Man Utd win the Champions League it will be worth it , but the figures just don`t stack up. The likes of Man City , with their new found extreme wealth could win the Premier and the European Cup every season and still not earn enough in prize money to cover their wage bill.

Chasing the dream at all costs brought down Leeds Utd under Ridsdale (a.k.a.Voldermort) as their business plan could only ever be afforded if they qualified for Europe every season and filled the ground at every home game - hardly a prudent basis to run a club. Despite that being an abysmal failure , he then attempted a similar scheme with us :evil: :roll: which , together with the debts left behind by Sam , we will take some time to recover from even with the investment from Malaysia.