Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FROM 4,000 TO 24,000 CROWDS

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:17 pm

" FROM 4,000 TO 24,000 CROWDS "
I know We have gone on and on about This Subject, BUT LETS REM THIS

In the 80's and 90's CARDIFF CITY WERE VERY POOR ON THE PITCH and Mostly a Division 4 Side.
Average Crowds of 4,000 as low as 1,400, SO YES There were many many games where the Atmosphere was Pathetic, But ANSWER THIS ONE IF ANY TOP TEAM PLAYED US or WE HAD OVER 18,000 WHAT WAS THE ATMOSPHERE LIKE THEN ? AWSOME IN MY OPINION :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
I FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS CLUB BECAUSE OF ITS GREAT SUPPORTERS,I HAVE KNOWN FOR Over 37 Yrs :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Now Back to This New Flat Pack IKEA STADIUM, Average Crowds over 22,000, Many Over 24,000 Crowds, Playoff last Season, Top 2 This Season, I Can only Rem Say 5 games at the most where the Atmosphere was Awsome and They were Some of the Most important games in Our History.
Now Back to the other 25 games, Massive Crowds, Team in Play Offs last Season and Now Second in the Division This season, SURELY THE ATMOSPHERE SHOULD BE AWSOME EVERY GAME, WERE ON OUR WAY TO THE PREMIERSHIP, Every Week Fans moan how terrible it is down there.

SO WHAT IS WRONG ?

I believe its where the Fans Sit and the New TYPE of Fan that Does not want to participate in any kind of Atmosphere, I welcome Everyones Comments :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Some people are making out that We want trouble because we want an Atmosphere, They are SO WRONG, I FELL IN LOVE WITH CARDIFF CITY BECAUSE OF ITS PASSIONATE FANS, That Followed them in the 70's/80's and 90's, They are still there, like at Leeds This week, But Sadly at the home games we are Being Killed off. :cry:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25211 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Cardiff/ :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Sticky: " FROM 4,000 TO 24,000 CROWDS "

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:22 pm

I may get slated for this but i think its armchair supporters finally getting out of their armchairs and watching football in Cardiff.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:23 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:I may get slated for this but i think its armchair supporters finally getting out of their armchairs and watching football in Cardiff.

Yes thats Def one Reason in My Opinion :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:24 pm

With all the new fans coming down the atmosphere should get better not worse, We have'nt lost any of the old fans.
We have come along way over the years, 24 Years and counting for me. :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:27 pm

All seater stadiums are mainly to blame for me! When you could stand up you could all group where ever you wanted to create an atmosphere and them who didn't want to be involved would keep on the fringes of the group! But with all seater stadiums season ticket holders buy the seats with the best view rather than the best noise!So people are scattered around rather than grouped up! So when its a big crowd for a big game you have to sit where you tickets say's!Just my oppion!!!! :old:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Kanester wrote:With all the new fans coming down the atmosphere should get better not worse, We have'nt lost any of the old fans.
We have come along way over the years, 24 Years and counting for me. :ayatollah:

I personally think it will but at Ninian Park there were established 'singing areas' Grandstand blocks A and B and obvioulsy the Grange End and if you attended a City game in these areas you knew you would be in the midst of a great atmosphere.
But with all these fans staggered across the stands and not in one mass unit the hardcore singers in the areas where they are need to persuade fans that this is a great way of supporting your football team. But this process will take a couple of seasons to sort out give it 3 years max from now and i think we will have a comparable atmosphere to Ninian Park.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:33 pm

i think its where everyone has split up since ninian park.. I stand in the corner of the canton at the back and theres just no go in anyone, middle of the canton is often noisy ish and we hear some noise coming from the ninian but its shite... maybe its all the plastic supporters who just come and bought season tickets because of the thought of promotion... get us back down by the away fans and turn ccs into a cauldron

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:37 pm

sam salim wrote:All seater stadiums are mainly to blame for me! When you could stand up you could all group where ever you wanted to create an atmosphere and them who didn't want to be involved would keep on the fringes of the group! But with all seater stadiums season ticket holders buy the seats with the best view rather than the best noise!So people are scattered around rather than grouped up! So when its a big crowd for a big game you have to sit where you tickets say's!Just my oppion!!!! :old:

I agree with you Sam. There should be a section where you get a ticket (or season ticket) for any seat within that section. Then if a load of fans want to get together they can. Also people with Season Tickets there could take friends/guests and not have to sit apart.
The Canton end would be ideal for this. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:38 pm

The move from Ninian to the CCS killed the atmosphere. The all seater stadium just doesn't allow you to gather with your mates and the regulars who sing game in game out. There was never a dull moment in the Grange End and you were guranteed to leave with strained vocal chords. In the CCS it would have to be a rather extraordinary occasion for you to leave the ground with a sore throat and a good mood.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:46 pm

Forever Blue wrote:" FROM 4,000 TO 24,000 CROWDS "

In the 80's and 90's CARDIFF CITY WERE VERY POOR ON THE PITCH and Mostly a Division 4 Side.
Average Crowds of 4,000 as low as 1,400, SO YES There were many many games where the Atmosphere was Pathetic, But ANSWER THIS ONE IF ANY TOP TEAM PLAYED US or WE HAD OVER 18,000 WHAT WAS THE ATMOSPHERE LIKE THEN ? AWSOME IN MY OPINION :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
I FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS CLUB BECAUSE OF ITS GREAT SUPPORTERS,I HAVE KNOWN FOR Over 37 Yrs :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Now Back to This New Flat Pack IKEA STADIUM, Average Crowds over 22,000, Many Over 24,000 Crowds, Playoff last Season, Top 2 This Season, I Can only Rem Say 5 games at the most where the Atmosphere was Awsome and They were Some of the Most important games in Our History.
Now Back to the other 25 games, Massive Crowds, Team in Play Offs last Season and Now Second in the Division This season, SURELY THE ATMOSPHERE SHOULD BE AWSOME EVERY GAME, WERE ON OUR WAY TO THE PREMIERSHIP, Every Week Fans moan how terrible it is down there.

SO WHAT IS WRONG ?

I believe its where the Fans Sit and the New TYPE of Fan that Does not want to participate in any kind of Atmosphere, I welcome Everyones Comments :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Some people are making out that We want trouble because we want an Atmosphere, They are SO WRONG, I FELL IN LOVE WITH CARDIFF CITY BECAUSE OF ITS PASSIONATE FANS, That Followed them in the 70's/80's and 90's, They are still there, like at Leeds This week, But Sadly at the home games we are Being Killed off. :cry:

The atmosphere has died since all seater stadiums have come in.
Our away support is loud as we all stand up and sing.
Our ninian stand is like a morgue as they sit down.
The Canton stand is noisy because we all stand up.
Seats have killed off the atmosphere
:cry:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:08 pm

My earliest recollections of NP are from the season when we got promoted (82-83) and games v Pompey (7000), Brentford (9000), Lincoln (8000) and the final game v Orient (11000). All great atmospheres.

Other games that stick out are cup games v Chelsea (8000) and QPR (14000) as well as the legendary games v Leeds and Man Citeh.

A small crowd at NP could generate a good atmosphere whereas at the CCS it is difficult to get the whole ground going.

The reason for this is the new fans and this was evident at Wembley v Blackpool where our fans were poor. Whilst we want to welcome new fans we are loosing some of our old identity. The hard core Ninian Park fans have been split up in our move and unless things change the football atmosphere could be lost forever.

The way to change things would be to be lenient on standing in certain areas of the ground. Move away fans to the Family Stand (half of it) and make the Canton Stand the family area (as it was at NP)

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:18 pm

Don't get me wrong, I think its great the crowds we are getting now, but in the days annis is talking about, you virtually knew everyone in the section you sat in because fans were few and far between !

Annis do you remember the girl with a strong valleys accent who sat at the side of you (grange end) on the bob bank, who would constantly say c'mon city get stuck in, she didn't miss many games !

Another good one for you annis would be the lowest crowd in league history for city, we sat on a freezing cold bob bank on a tuesday night, I think it was darlington or doncaster, the tannoy announcer said the crowd was something like 890, but can't find this fact anywhere, perhaps it will be in the new book just published !

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Yes the atmosphere is shit compared to Ninian Park but it's still one of the best in this league. Only way to improve this to make it electric is for more people to play their part. Never hear a peep from most of the Ninian Stand (apart from the block near the away fans) and the Grandstand wont even clap. Shame on you :D

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Not true about the Grandstand, Im in there and a few us around me join in !

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:27 pm

The Trooper wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think its great the crowds we are getting now, but in the days annis is talking about, you virtually knew everyone in the section you sat in because fans were few and far between !

Annis do you remember the girl with a strong valleys accent who sat at the side of you (grange end) on the bob bank, who would constantly say c'mon city get stuck in, she didn't miss many games !

Another good one for you annis would be the lowest crowd in league history for city, we sat on a freezing cold bob bank on a tuesday night, I think it was darlington or doncaster, the tannoy announcer said the crowd was something like 890, but can't find this fact anywhere, perhaps it will be in the new book just published !

:lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I Rem Well, They are Fantastic/Great/ASWOME MEMORIES :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Lincoln and Bury are also 2 of our Lowest ever as well, about 1,400 at each game. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:34 pm

From Facebook

Nigel Pepper In the seventies we usualy managed 22.000 and a great atmosphere , ESP in the Grange End. I think people will take time to adjust to the new ground. It's very different to the old Ninian park , it will take time but people will start to feel home. Just wait for the ground when it's been altered so there is allmost 40,000 at matches.
39 minutes ago · Like

John Clarke me and the boys from llanishen go in the ninian right by the away fans, thought it would be a cracking atmosphere, but fed up of telling fans to sing up and get behind the boys, they look at me gone off, used to go in block a in np and atmosphere was banging, now its sit down and shut up, stewards dont help , have a row with em every home game, dont understand it surely they want us to be passionate, cos the players definitely do, blooooooooooooobirds
25 minutes ago · Like

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:53 pm

Needs to be a concerted effort on HERE. As in get your season tickets in the
Ninian by the away fans OR in the Grange End. If LOADS of 'singers' get tickets
near the Away lot then the stewards dont have a hope.

Maybe a survey/poll where everyone can agree to get tcikets for a certain area/areas?

If your not a singer, dont want to add to the atmosphere except by polite clapping
then sit somewhere else.

This site has a fair bit of fan power now.... use it for next season!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:09 pm

taffyapple wrote:Needs to be a concerted effort on HERE. As in get your season tickets in the
Ninian by the away fans OR in the Grange End. If LOADS of 'singers' get tickets
near the Away lot then the stewards dont have a hope.

Maybe a survey/poll where everyone can agree to get tcikets for a certain area/areas?

If your not a singer, dont want to add to the atmosphere except by polite clapping
then sit somewhere else.

This site has a fair bit of fan power now.... use it for next season!!!

I agree we need to Discus this more and sort it out :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:16 pm

From Facebook

Richard Holbrook thought you was piss poor v us wurzzles other week nothing like your old stomping ground! never herd you so quiet!
31 minutes ago · Like

John Clarke your rite rich, cardiff v brizzle used to be banging its shit now with all these restrictions, cant run u lot from temple meades to ashton gate anymore lol
28 minutes ago · Like

Richard Holbrook haha ok john nice one! used to love the trip to your place in the 80's no dout if we ever get our new ground it will be the same as all the others like leicester derby boro but spose thats the way it is now! remember backing you boys away from station too!lol all good days!
21 minutes ago · Like

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:24 pm

SO WHAT IS WRONG ?

There is nothing wrong - you just haven't moved on with the times about this. Its a different world, not just a different football crowd.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:29 pm

My opinion is its nothing at all to do with the ground, we know it can generate a great atmosphere and it has done in certain games so it has to be down to the fans.

I personally highly welcome the "armchair" fans, at some point we have all been new fans and we need these fans to keep the club progressing. Some maybe dont know all the words, some maybe feel uncomfortable maybe chanting when other fans maybe arent and that can kind of make a domino effect of silence.

Thing is at Ninian Park most people had sat by the same people for years and years and years and generated an atmosphere with these new friends.
Its still all new at CCS, this is only our second season, I still dont know the people around me and they rarely chant although I will have a go. I think in time the atmosphere will improve.

Swapping the Canton and grange would improve atmosphere in my opinion but im still not sure the pros out weigh the cons for example the club have said it would cost a lot more in police costs to swap them and that would be selfish of the club especially as (as mentioned in Carls update (http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewt ... =2&t=25250) the youth academy is being ignored, thats where my money would go if we had it and no on policing.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:14 pm

bluebird58 wrote:

SO WHAT IS WRONG ?

There is nothing wrong - you just haven't moved on with the times about this. Its a different world, not just a different football crowd.

Well I dont want to belong in A MORGUE, LETS SEE THEN IF PEOPLE LIKE YOU KEEP GOING IF THEY ARE EVER GET RELEGATED, You might say Bluebird 58, But I NEVER EVER SAW YOU IN THE 80's and 90's. You read the football Echo.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:08 pm

I only ever supported a Scottish team until I went to my first Cardiff game v Hull in 1993. Think the crowd was 6000 or 7000 but I was totally knocked out with the atmosphere in the Grange End. Went a few weeks later at home to Plymouth and I've been hooked ever since. It wasn't the team perfomance (we lost both games) but the atmosphere that made me want to go as often as possible. I think we lost 7-2 to Cambridge that season ,a game I also attended.
I honestly think somethings died a bit since those days which may be because of the new stadium and everyone being split up.However nights like Leeds are as good as anything I've ever experienced in the past, if only we could transfer that to home games. Hopefully the Norwich game will have a good atmosphere and The Jacks game will take care of itself.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:

SO WHAT IS WRONG ?

Well I dont want to belong in A MORGUE, LETS SEE THEN IF PEOPLE LIKE YOU KEEP GOING IF THEY ARE EVER GET RELEGATED, You might say Bluebird 58, But I NEVER EVER SAW YOU IN THE 80's and 90's. You read the football Echo.

I'll still be there, no matter what.
In the 80s I was exiled in England working, and in the 90s chose to play sport rather than watch.
From 1966 - 1977 I was there - down to the old 3rd division and all (Remember Tony Evans and Adrian Alston?)

I returned to watch regularly from around 2001, and had season ticket for last 4 years. The Bluebirds were always my team wherever I have lived. I cheer, shout, sing and hurl abuse along with the best when I'm at the game.

And morgue or not I bet you'll keep going as its in your blood like the rest of us!

See you in the Ninian Park tomorrow! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Bluebird 58

WELL THEN WE DEF NEED MORE FANS LIKE YOU THEN and that means YOU HAVENT MOVED ON EITHER :lol: :lol: :lol:

See you in The Ninian Park Tom :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:14 pm

Phil Thornton coined it nicely fella:

"pay up, sit down, shut up, f**k off "

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:15 pm

northside of risca wrote:Phil Thornton coined it nicely fella:

"pay up, sit down, shut up, f**k off "

THATS WAYNE NASH SAYING :lol: :lol:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:58 pm

SO WHAT IS WRONG ?

its the same all over the land, atmospheres are only created at local derbys and high profile fixtures.

i dont know why you think we should be any different.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:08 pm

swapped seats (me and my daughter) beginning preston game , from ninian stand to canton due to pricks sitting behind me giving me grief every time i stand(when we score !) " we didn`t have people standing last season" they moan, WHAT THE f**k ARE WE WATCHING, SNOOKER OR FOOTBALL ? WANKERS, rant over :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:39 pm

SO WHAT IS WRONG ?

http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewt ... =2&t=25211 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

2 points.

1) If it's down to where the "singing" fans sit (i.e. they need to be next to the away fans), then why is it that the Kop at Anfield creates such a good atmosphere when they are at the opposite end of the ground to the away fans?

2) If it is down to all seater Stadia then I must be imagining the atmosphere created by Stoke fans at their all seater stadium?