Wrexham
Newport County
Swansea City

and the 4 main Rugby teams in Wales being

Dragons
Blues
Ospreys
Scarlets

It is clear to see that Football has a lot more spectators than Rugby. You can just see it at Cardiff when the Bluebirds sell out 24,000 weekly, but the Blues struggle to get 5,000.

But then when it comes to internationals, Wales rugby will sell the Millenium Stadium out 75,000 EASY!

And Wales football struggle to get 15,000 in the Cardiff City Stadium.

You could say it is because Wales football are shit, but Wales rugby arent brilliant.

What do you think needs to be done for Football to be bigger in Wales that Rugby, because lets be honest as much as I hate it Rugby still is our national sport.

I reckon if the Bluebirds and Jacks get the Premiership then people will begin to realise that Football is OUR national sport.

What are your opinions? :ayatollah:

Re: FOOTBALL v RUGBY in WALES

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:42 pm

That's a good question Chippy !! For one schools need to be impartial instead of teaching the kids that unless you follow Rugby then your not properly Welsh. The Media should stop its bias towards Rugby fans, no matter what they do its not a problem. But with football they look at the smallest things to hammer football fans with.

The Rugby Internationals are just days out by so called fans that dont even know the rules the rest is attended by Rugby players themselves which i respect. If Us and the Jacks were both to get to the Prem then it would be the biggest smack in the face for the Rugby establishment EVER !!

The question who do you hate more or who do yo respect more the Rugby establishment or the Jacks ??

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:45 pm

hate both but respect rugby more then the jack cunts

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:48 pm

I think that most people go to a rugby international for the day out, not really caring about the rugby. Basically a day on the piss. The true reflection of how popular rugby is the attendances at the blues games / dragons etc games.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:07 pm

I remember a converastion with a female aquaintance some time ago.
I was having a 'heated' but friendly converastion with aLeeds supporter.She overheard us talking and commented that she loves going to see Wales playing rugger but didn't worry if Wales won or lost.She didn't understand how we could care so much about our teams.
This summed it up for me. It is just a social event for most people.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:11 pm

football is something i go to every week, wales rugby is something i may go to one maybe twice a year with about 10 mates and get absolutly shit faced on an all dayer. abit like the football you may say :lol:

i want wales to do well, and i love rugby. but people like me get priced out of attending wales games regulaly and with beer it becomes far to expensive, id rather save it up to watch the city.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:34 pm

milly44 wrote:football is something i go to every week, wales rugby is something i may go to one maybe twice a year with about 10 mates and get absolutly shit faced on an all dayer. abit like the football you may say :lol:

i want wales to do well, and i love rugby. but people like me get priced out of attending wales games regulaly and with beer it becomes far to expensive, id rather save it up to watch the city.
good sensible post of our twins from newport :D well done lads keep it up :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:40 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:
milly44 wrote:football is something i go to every week, wales rugby is something i may go to one maybe twice a year with about 10 mates and get absolutly shit faced on an all dayer. abit like the football you may say :lol:

good sensible post of our twins from newport :D well done lads keep it up :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

thankyou sir, your wisdom over a costa coffee must have worked wonders :D

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:44 pm

yes and another sessionin my house sorting out my many items of merchandise went well :D all done and many thanks :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:48 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:yes and another sessionin my house sorting out my many items of merchandise went well :D all done and many thanks :ayatollah:

cheers for helping out a poor newport boy :cry: appreciate it.
mines to small :cry:

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:55 pm

the reason wales get 75,000 for the internationals is because its too far for the plastics to travel to old trafford,anfield and the emirates etc :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:26 pm

I will be going down for the Wales V Australia game on Saturday and want Wales to win but if they lose which is very likely i'll enjoy the day on the piss and will not care too much about the loss. Most of the people in the Stadium will be there for a good day out and will not be that bothered by the result. It is this 'social' side of rugby that Welsh International Football cannot compete with.

Although i will look forward to a good day out on Saturday the event of the weekend is our game with the Jerks and if we were to lose that i would be absolutely devastated :(

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:44 pm

It's quite simple actually! :?

It wasn't so long ago when the Welsh FOOTBALL team were one of the best supported in Europe (somebody please find the stats for me, it is true!)

Reason was that the FAW in their wisdom decided to sell tickets at very reasonable prices, I can't remember exactlly as a few beers have passed under the bridge, but it was along the lines of £15-£20 for me and £5 each for my kids.

The Millenium was a sell out most games with a bad gate of 40,000!

The massive crowds I suggest inspired the players and we came close...ish on a couple of occassions to actually qualify.

THE MISTAKE: The FAW in their not so infinite wisdom pushed the prices, the team didn't do so well and the rest is history!

MESSAGE TO THE FAW: Go back to the cut price policy....get the crowds back.....which will then follow an obvious atmosphere.....and give the team a chance.

Failing that......you're doomed. Sometimes you gotta put the cart in front of the horse to succeed......simples ;)

As for Welsh rugby...............bollox

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:46 pm

:ayatollah:

Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:03 am

Our "Great Nation" loves glory and success, and hates "quitters" or "failures" as I like to put it. Frustrating really but it's the truth.

To look back just 10 years ago, Cardiff City struggling to get crowds of 7,000 a game, we were at the bottom of the football league and going no where. We were no where basically on the map of Welsh sport, and all we had to be "proud" of was the fact English clubs feared coming down here.

Now at that time, Welsh football was on the rise and big players were coming through, beating teams such as Italy and coming close to teams like Argentina, Picking up crowds of 70,000 a game. Yet both Cardiff & Swansea were struggling to get 10,000 in the small leagues.

In my opinion, this season Cardiff have shown ambition more than any other sports team in the country, hence why we're selling out mostly every game now. Signing Bellamy surely boosted crowds as we know. But why haven't the Ospreys crowds picked up on a signing like Jerry Collins?(sp) Maybe it's the league they play in, doesn't give much to look at. Or maybe it's because crowds are now either choosing to pick the most successful region to go and support.

Also, What I have noticed these sort of days, is that rugby games are now played on a Friday Night or a Saturday Afternoon. Local League rugby is now also played on a Friday or Saturday Afternoon, where as it used to get played on a Sunday. Again this is to do with success.

Every team now in a region wears the regions badge, so they can get selected at any time and get paid a fix sum and train with the team for the week running up to the game. Maybe more and more rugby players/supporters are now looking for success in getting into the regions than rather sitting in the crowd and watching.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:16 am

Good debate, but to keep it short and simple, f**k RUGBY :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:55 am

PtB wrote:Good debate, but to keep it short and simple, f**k RUGBY :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:00 pm

Maybe it is turning already.

Still 21,000 tickets left for tomorrows game with Australia. Few years ago they would have sold this game out in hours.