Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Did I really Dream All Of This

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:44 am

Last night I listened to a recording of the Supporters Trust meeting with TG, Gethin Jenkins and Dave Jones and I have to say that it did help lift a little of the gloom that has been over me since Sunday abject performance.

Firstly I have to say how charming a man TG is as he took all questions with good grace and answered them as best he could in quite calm and reassuring manner. Although he was never going to give detailed answers to how discussions on the debts are progressing you were left with no doubt that each and every issue is being addressed and will be resolved. He also told quite a funny story about being at airport for the journey over and as he was leaving a bookshop he heard someone shout TG, when he looked around there were some british troops, Bluebird fans, who had been on jungle training in Malaysia. The troops asked him how we got on against Norwich as they had no access to the media during the training it was really funny and as he said something he is having to learn about.

However for me the whole occasion soured when DJ became involved the discussions as he again used the opportunity to rubbish Ninian Park, you know all the stuff about he has heard so much said about the atmosphere of the ground but with the exception of a few occasions he never saw it during his time at the club. Saying things like the players were glad to leave because they didn't like the smell of the place, he also mentioned that Big guy who used to manage the club whats his name, Eddie May someone says, and DJ said yeah thats right he said to me a while back he still misses Ninian Park he loved the smell of the place, I couldn't believe it says DJ what on earth is wrong with the guy!

My parents always taught me that you will never know the value of something until it is gone and that is so true. For all of us who grew up watching football at Ninian Park the spirit of that ground will never die as it is entrenched in our memories and for me to the very core of my love of this football club.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with Eddie May other than Ninian Park and everything is stood for has left a mark on him, possibly one of the reasons he was such a popular manager with the fans. I stand to be corrected here but wasn't Eddie the first Manager asked by the fans to Do The Ayatollah, Eddie was a great manager who put together a Championship winning team on what can only be described as pocket changed compared to the riches DJ has at his disposal but he never forget the most important asset of the club the Fans and that why he had shared such a close affinity with them.

After the recording finished I spent the evening thinking about the memories I have about watching games at Ninian Park because whilst someone like DJ is only to happy to dismiss it I will never forget the old ground and it's memories for me will stay with me to the day I die, and I am absolutely proud to say that.

One of my first memories was the Cup Winners Cup Semi Final against FC Hamburg, I was only a young boy and went to the game with my Dad, Grandad and 2 brothers. That's how it was then my Grandad took my Dad to games when he was a boy and my Dad took me and my two brothers. The atmosphere that night was incredible for a young boy really to describe as raw would not be an over doing it, I remember everyone seemed to have a fag in their mouth for the entire game I understand now it was nerves, the singing the noise was incredible. Then the last minute goal a disaster FC Hamburg were through and you could hear a pin drop, the game restarted and was over in a instant. I remember my dad was holding me and he was crying, I had never seen him cry before and it frightened and upset me I asked him what was wrong and he said to me don't worry one day you will understand but for now chear for our players they have done us proud.

It took 40 years to truely understand what my dad meant sadly he was gone long before the FA cup final, the play off final or that performance last Sunday.

Ninian Park was an ampitheatre in the fullest meaning of the word a unique sporting venue and one of the only grounds where I have ever heard the fans signing from all 4 sides of the ground. This is what made it so special and it's that whats missing from the new ground and sadly I think we will never see again.

Other memories which are so clear they could have happened yesterday were that goal against Real Madrid, Tony Villiers scoring that goal against Crystal Palace, Peter Sayer scoring against Spurs (at least I think it was Peter), that John Buchanan goal against the Jacks it was mad I mean how far out was he when he hit that one, Nathan Blake scoring against Manchester City, Scott Young scoring against Leeds Utd even Eddie Johnson scoring against Doncaster.

All these are magical moments and I'm sure you will all have others just make sure you keep those memories they are part of the history and traditions of our fantastic football club. Don't let DJ's lack of respect for our past achievements affect them because whilst we have a wonderful new home ,which is a great sporting ampitheatre, it is not and sadly never will be Ninian Park.

I accept change and have fully embraced the new ground but I absolutely refuse to forget or disrespect the history, traditions and values on which on great club has been built. Do the same keep your favourite memories fresh be proud of them, embrace them and treasure them for ever. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Did I really Dream All Of This

Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:42 pm

What a wonderfull post.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:52 pm

TH63 wrote:What a wonderfull post.

Thank you just a bit of heart on sleeve stuff nice for someone to appreciate it. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Sticky : Did I really Dream All Of This

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:41 pm

brill post m8 i feel exactly the same i will never forget NINIAN PARK WHERE IT ALL BEGAN FOLLOWING THIS FANTASTIC CLUB OF OURS BLOOBIRDS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:03 pm

great post :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:47 pm

While I am a fan of Dave Jones, he seems oblivious to anything we did/achieved in the 85 years we have been a professional club before he arrived here. While I always look to the future regarding CCFC it would be nice if Mr.Jones acknowledged our past.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:10 pm

A good read there can well remember the SV Hamburg game it was the first time i ever cryed at a football game i was about 13 i went with my older cousin. :old: those were the days my friend.Never to be forgotten there were many special nights afternoons spent at Ninian Park. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:27 pm

TOP TOP post fella you can alter the path forward but you can not change the past :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:54 pm

I Really enjoyed Reading it Cheers :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:01 am

Brilliant post mate... hard to believe that Ninian park once had a capacity of 65000. I was at an FA cup match against Arsenal as a young teenager when we drew 0-0. 51,000 capacity crowd, went for a pasty at half time, left the Grange End and it was so packed I couldn't get back in, stood on the edge listening to the whole of the second half. I was also at the SV Hamburg match, absolutely gutted, Bob wilson at fault really but what an achievement anyway, I remember the programme with a picture of a city player on the cover and the headline "One foot in the final".

Other great goals - 89th minute header by Toshack against the Wurzels from a corner to win 1-0, loads of people had left the ground by then. Peter King's amazing goal from the touchline against Middlesboro, I think the result was 4-3 to city... and any one of Ronnie Bird's specials, they either hit the corner flag or burst the net... amazing memories. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:46 am

great post boss! fuckin dave jones badmouthing fortress ninian, not giving a shit bout the gypo games etc. the cunts really starting to get on my nerves! up until now, i havent minded him but im starting to change my mind about him. i used to love ol eddie may! and frankie burroughs :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:50 am

i meant burrows! d'oh! :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:06 am

Eddie May had more passion in his little toe than Jones has in his whole body, DJ best manager in CCFC history NO CHANCE.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:40 am

Made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up...

Definitely a contender for post of the year if there is such a competition Annis?