Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gabbidon?

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Imo we need atleast 2 new CB's in Jan depending on Riggot and if he turns out to be any good.
there seems to be rumours circulating about danny gabbidon returning, now on sky sports too

"Skysports.com understands a number of clubs are tracking West Ham defender Danny Gabbidon.

Gabbidon's current contract expires at the end of the season and as yet no new deal has been agreed.

It means the former Wales international could leave Upton Park on a free transfer in the summer, with several interested sides waiting in the wings to sign him.

Gabbidon has been one of West Ham's shining lights in a disappointing season for the Hammers with the versatile defender proving his fitness after spells on the sidelines.

Premier League duo Birmingham and West Brom are both thought to be keeping tabs on Gabbidon's situation at Upton Park.

Former club Cardiff could also offer Gabbidon a move away from West Ham if he fails to agree a new deal.

The trio could move for Gabbidon if West Ham decide to sell him in January for a cut-price fee rather than risk losing him for nothing in the summer."

I think he could do well for us, find some form again get his confidence up playing against lesser sides and be better for it when we reach the promised land.

thoughts?

Re: Gabbidon?

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:33 pm

my money is still on Anton Ferdinand to join in January :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:39 pm

He has had his time at City - bringing him back would be a disaster.

Bit like Koumas really ;)

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:43 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:my money is still on Anton Ferdinand to join in January :ayatollah:

Let's hope not :shock: Anton Ferdinand is pretty dire and wouldn't have made it in the Prem if he had any other surname :lol:

A fit Gabbidon is exactly what we need (a bit of pace and ability) but it's got to be risky with his injury record :? Mind you he's been playing well regularly for the Hammers so perhaps he's over the worst of it :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Danny Says wrote:He has had his time at City - bringing him back would be a disaster.

Bit like Koumas really ;)

my thoughts exactly. gone are the days when gabbidon used to burst out of defence, i remember against wrexham at ninian park he ran out of defence, skinned 3 players and curled the ball round the keeper. just cant imagine him doing it anymore :ayatollah: he should just remain as 1 of our past greats :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:01 pm

It would be great to see him in a city kit again.
But he will have nothing on his old form for Cardiff and I feel if he becomes a flop his legendary status would be no more.
Best to let him keep battling it out in the premiership and we get someone different in.
Whats news on Loovens up in Celtic these days?

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Pompey wrote:It would be great to see him in a city kit again.
But he will have nothing on his old form for Cardiff and I feel if he becomes a flop his legendary status would be no more.
Best to let him keep battling it out in the premiership and we get someone different in.

YOUR ALIVE :D

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:48 pm

I agree with most. I love Gabbidon and he is such a genuinely nice guy but he's far too injury prone and because of this he will never have the chance to settle. Whoever said Anton Ferdinand is a much better shout both quality wise and fitness wise.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:52 pm

The Douce wrote:Imo we need atleast 2 new CB's in Jan depending on Riggot and if he turns out to be any good.
there seems to be rumours circulating about danny gabbidon returning, now on sky sports too

"Skysports.com understands a number of clubs are tracking West Ham defender Danny Gabbidon.

Gabbidon's current contract expires at the end of the season and as yet no new deal has been agreed.

It means the former Wales international could leave Upton Park on a free transfer in the summer, with several interested sides waiting in the wings to sign him.

Gabbidon has been one of West Ham's shining lights in a disappointing season for the Hammers with the versatile defender proving his fitness after spells on the sidelines.

Premier League duo Birmingham and West Brom are both thought to be keeping tabs on Gabbidon's situation at Upton Park.

Former club Cardiff could also offer Gabbidon a move away from West Ham if he fails to agree a new deal.

The trio could move for Gabbidon if West Ham decide to sell him in January for a cut-price fee rather than risk losing him for nothing in the summer."

I think he could do well for us, find some form again get his confidence up playing against lesser sides and be better for it when we reach the promised land.

thoughts?

I think we'd have financial problems getting Gabbidon. Last season a document listing West Ham wages was leaked, Gabbidon is on 50k a week. If we were to buy him then he'd have to take a massive paycut which maybe he wouldn't have to take if he went to a prem club.

I get the feeling he's a spent force as well, those injuries really took it out of him.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:00 pm

He is out of contract at the end of the season so his current wage isnt to much of an issue as he wont get near what he is on at West Ham

Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:06 pm

milly44 wrote:
Pompey wrote:It would be great to see him in a city kit again.

YOUR ALIVE :D

Only just managing to keep my head above the shit in scumsea ;)
I'm still about mun! Like the bad penny that never goes away.
I tried shouting at you in the last game but you couldnt have heard me.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:my money is still on Anton Ferdinand to join in January :ayatollah:

Imo i think that would be a good signing for us !! also i did like Gabbidon when he was at City however i think it may be a bad move for City because how many games would he last in a city shirt ?? at the moment he has picked up far to many injurys and is injury prone just my opinion !! We need a bit of Bollox at the back !!

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:03 pm

2blue2handle wrote:He is out of contract at the end of the season so his current wage isnt to much of an issue as he wont get near what he is on at West Ham

thats a key post there, nobody will offer him a 50 k contract in the prem now, and i doubt he would walk into any squad up there bar a couple, i think we could have a shot of signing him, and he could do well for us.. who knows though