Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City Financial Situation?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:58 am

Just a genuine enquiry to see what you lot think/know about the current financial situation at your club. My own observations are that Ridsdale has left you with one of his speciality ticking timebombs, which the Malaysians may not have the financial clout to be able to defuse. This thought is based on the fact that Jones the Moan rather than buying players during the summer transfer window bought in a load of loanees, some of which on Saturdays showing make me wonder that if the money was available he could have done better with permanent signings, such as Olifanjani and Koumas, who looked woeful. I saw that he is already making his 'failure excuses', saying that he needs FIVE players to guarantee promotion, which frankly does not bode well with his squad, especially when there are players there who may think that such a statement undermines their future at Cardiff. Stupid statement in my book. But does Cardiff have the money to sign five players or would these be further loanees, considering that he has played most of his loanee hand, by signing Olifanjani, Drinkwater, Koumas, Keogh and Bellamy on season long loans? Also I understand that there is the small matter of paying a certain ex-owner a sum of £10million by the end of the year and also that the bill with HMRC is still far from settled. It would be nice for some of you to give fair comment on what you know of the situation and also what I have read into what I have seen.

Re: Cardiff City Financial Situation?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:03 am

you obviously dont know much about our Malaysian owners, they are very rich people who only want the best for this club.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:04 am

jones has been told there is money available for players in jan

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:06 am

You must have a lot of time on your hands to research so much info on a club you don't support. :old:

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:15 am

DWQPR wrote:Just a genuine enquiry to see what you lot think/know about the current financial situation at your club. My own observations are that Ridsdale has left you with one of his speciality ticking timebombs, which the Malaysians may not have the financial clout to be able to defuse. This thought is based on the fact that Jones the Moan rather than buying players during the summer transfer window bought in a load of loanees, some of which on Saturdays showing make me wonder that if the money was available he could have done better with permanent signings, such as Olifanjani and Koumas, who looked woeful. I saw that he is already making his 'failure excuses', saying that he needs FIVE players to guarantee promotion, which frankly does not bode well with his squad, especially when there are players there who may think that such a statement undermines their future at Cardiff. Stupid statement in my book. But does Cardiff have the money to sign five players or would these be further loanees, considering that he has played most of his loanee hand, by signing Olifanjani, Drinkwater, Koumas, Keogh and Bellamy on season long loans? Also I understand that there is the small matter of paying a certain ex-owner a sum of £10million by the end of the year and also that the bill with HMRC is still far from settled. It would be nice for some of you to give fair comment on what you know of the situation and also what I have read into what I have seen.

VT is worth $1.4B (approx £900m) and Cardiff's debts are around the £40m mark. It would seem on the face of it 'financial clout' is not a problem to the Malaysians and they should easily be able to fund the Langston pay off on New Year's Eve.

Personally I have always thought VT sees Cardiff as a means to an end in bringing about his personal and lucrative wish to introduce legalised betting on football matches in Muslim majority Malaysia. No doubt if Vincent Tan did achieve his ambition and then used CCFC as a Premiership marketing tool, then funding really wouldn’t be a problem from an industry which would have an expected turnover of £400m per year.

However, I agree with you about Jones and I have always had my doubts about him. With the resources he has had this season, weighed up against the relative weakness of the Championship we should really be out of sight without the need to strengthen in January.

Of course Bothroyd and Burke may move on meaning we would require replacements which would be fair enough, but to believe another 5 players are required to achieve promotion seems either desperate or Jones just over egging in order to get a lesser amount which he would be happy with.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:00 pm

DWQPR wrote:Just a genuine enquiry to see what you lot think/know about the current financial situation at your club. My own observations are that Ridsdale has left you with one of his speciality ticking timebombs, which the Malaysians may not have the financial clout to be able to defuse.
Also I understand that there is the small matter of paying a certain ex-owner a sum of £10million by the end of the year and also that the bill with HMRC is still far from settled. It would be nice for some of you to give fair comment on what you know of the situation and also what I have read into what I have seen.

There are no ticking time bombs that the current owners can't cover. So far they've dealt with every issue when it has cropped up and put us on a much sounder financial footing. In short, there is money there but they will be prudent with how and when they spend it.

They won't risk the £10m+ they've already pumped into the club no matter what we/the manager would like. In a similar vein I have no doubt that they will resolve the £10m owed to the ex-owner one way or the other by 31st December. Not to do so would result in the sum increasing to £24m and these people did not make their money being stupid enough to lose out on £14m at the drop of a hat :lol:

Unless you know something that everyone else is unaware of the HMRC debt was settled to the satisfaction of both HMRC and the courts back in August and all PAYE payments have been made on time every month since, don't you think HMRC would have lost patience with us by now if that hadn't been the case :roll:

Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:45 pm

DWQPR wrote:Just a genuine enquiry to see what you lot think/know about the current financial situation at your club. My own observations are that Ridsdale has left you with one of his speciality ticking timebombs, which the Malaysians may not have the financial clout to be able to defuse. This thought is based on the fact that Jones the Moan rather than buying players during the summer transfer window bought in a load of loanees, some of which on Saturdays showing make me wonder that if the money was available he could have done better with permanent signings, such as Olifanjani and Koumas, who looked woeful. I saw that he is already making his 'failure excuses', saying that he needs FIVE players to guarantee promotion, which frankly does not bode well with his squad, especially when there are players there who may think that such a statement undermines their future at Cardiff. Stupid statement in my book. But does Cardiff have the money to sign five players or would these be further loanees, considering that he has played most of his loanee hand, by signing Olifanjani, Drinkwater, Koumas, Keogh and Bellamy on season long loans? Also I understand that there is the small matter of paying a certain ex-owner a sum of £10million by the end of the year and also that the bill with HMRC is still far from settled. It would be nice for some of you to give fair comment on what you know of the situation and also what I have read into what I have seen.

Put bluntly mate. The Malaysians are billionaires, and want Premiership football, and will get it!!
However, they were NOT prepared to throw a load of money into the club until they had done a
complete overhaul of the infastructure at the club. They have chipped away at inherited debt and
i think their corporate decision was to hold back and pay off creditors bit by bit until they had
cleared or at least come to agreement over the MAJOR debt. Had they immediately pumped in
millions, the people Ridsdale and Co had stitched up would immediately have shouted "where's mine"!!!

Once Langstones 10m is squared away in the next few weeks then Vincent Tan will pretty much
be home and dry. He has put his top financial men on the board and is ready to start spending
money. HMRC are done and dusted.

We have, as a club, done the honourable thing and set out to pay off creditors rather than go into
Administration and send local businesses to the wall.

The only real issue at Cardiff City Football Club now is whether Vincent Tan will trust Dave Jones
to spend Millions of £££ of his money. The money will be available, its just a question of how much
he will trust Jones with

If Neil Warnock was here now, and in charge of our crop of players we would be running away with
this division. Jones appears to be losing the dressing room

Cheers!

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:00 pm

You should realise that all clubs can survive with manageable debt. Just look at Premiership clubs.

We're making the debt manageable.