Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

37 PENCE A CAN OF STRONGBOW

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Tesco's on line for home delivery (as one does in the valleys) tomorrow there is an offer of 24 cans of strongbow for £8.97 or there abouts, works out at 37 p for a can of Bow.

How the feck can pubs keep trading when people can drink at home for 37p a can, can't get my head around it, couple of my mates are pub landlords and they really are struggling, its as if the country want to shut the traditional type pub down and just have the dining type pubs, watch this space.

Let's work it out, 13 and a half cans for a fiver and watch the telly and have a fag if you do in your own house, or down the pub £2.60p+ for a pint of bow and stand outside for a smoke, you decide.

Re: 37 PENCE A CAN OF STRONGBOW

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Gwyn, I play skittles every Thursday or Friday (fixtures pending) and our home alley is the Plough Inn at Whitchurch. There the prices are extortionate. Off the top of my head a pint is about £3.25. Not the most expensive like Guinness either, your run of the mill Fosters or Carling. I only drink 1 or 2 there now if that. They don't even have SKY to fund.

A lot of people just can't afford to drink out now. I've only been out drinking once or twice in the last 6-9 months because I can't afford it. Even when I have I've got a vodka or beers in and just gotten buzzing before going out. I don't know whether it's the landlords or the breweries or the government who are forcing alcohol prices to go up because they fluctuate so much from place to place. I would love to be able to afford to go to the pub for a few drinks more often but I can't.

Without sounding bad though, it has helped my health to improve because I drink less now. It's still sad to see so many pubs struggling though.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:41 pm

yea it mad prices now. cheaper to have few of the boys round watch football etc than go out spend hundreds of pounds on booze on a all dayers.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:50 pm

im a tied pub and it cost me over £1 a pint to bring it in wholes sale ,the super markets make huge loses on there cans but make 1000% gp on the other products its killing the pubs

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:54 pm

I'll be bolloxed on £3.70 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Wez, do you mind me asking, how much does it cost a pub to get SKY Sports installed and paid for? Is it something like £1,000 a week? Or is that way off? :D

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Zabier wrote:Wez, do you mind me asking, how much does it cost a pub to get SKY Sports installed and paid for? Is it something like £1,000 a week? Or is that way off? :D

it depends on what your rateable value is but i would have to pay 12k a year ,to make that i would have to sell around 9000 extra pints just to break even ,ive got a sky itaila and that was £1200 a year

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Yeah, it is ridiculous. To be fair, as long as you have some football on. Rarely do I go to the pub specifically to watch a game. Just have it on as background stuff. Those places in major Premiership cities like Manchester or Newcastle then I can understand because people who can't make the game will want to watch in the pubs but not South Wales and other areas without current Premiership interest.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:20 pm

There is no Premier League teams here too in Bristol, but like S.Wales many plastic Premiership fans, Boards outside many pubs advertising the big games and people do go in them just for the football, I've seen it for myself.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:22 pm

Gwyn at least a 100 pubs a Week have been Shutting in the UK Over the last 3 years.
With All the New Laws and Tax's etc, They Just Cant Survive .

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:40 pm

when we went to qpr we were in the caz bar in paddington 2.10 a pint of jon smith fosters and carling not bad for london

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:42 pm

No free beer for us if we win the league then Wez ? :lol:

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:46 pm

I think its fair to say the Breweries are setting the prices....making the pubs sell their beer and setting a high starting price. So the pub adds a bit on to make a profit, but the brewery takes the lion share.

But being expensive the pubs dont have many customers and sell less. Less customers creates less atmosphere and people can't see the attraction of paying for expensive beer.

I asked a landlord why the breweries dont lower the prices to help the pubs attract people and sell more beer. Seems a sensible idea to me.. ?

BUT

He said they dont care about the small pubs..not much profit from them even when full. The breweries prefer to plough resources into the large city centre pubs that attract large numbers. All the beer is in one place, one set of expenses, staff, and all the customers in one place.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:29 pm

pub prices are (scandouls) bad, i can get a case of beer for £8, and sit on here and talk shit allnight, everyones a winner :ayatollah: :lol:

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:31 pm

On a slight aside, I think the prices in the Ninian are very good for a pub :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:33 pm

Would the pubs be allowed to buy a load of those cans, and then sell them?

Even at £1 a can I reckon they'd get a fair few people in there.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:34 pm

ninianblue wrote:pub prices are (scandouls) bad, i can get a case of beer for £8, and sit on here and talk shit allnight, everyones a winner :ayatollah: :lol:

Apart from those of us that have to listen to you! :lol: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:57 pm

sam salim wrote:I'll be bolloxed on £3.70 :lol: :lol: :lol:

74p :lol: :lol:

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:57 pm

wez 1927 wrote:
Zabier wrote:Wez, do you mind me asking, how much does it cost a pub to get SKY Sports installed and paid for? Is it something like £1,000 a week? Or is that way off? :D

it depends on what your rateable value is but i would have to pay 12k a year ,to make that i would have to sell around 9000 extra pints just to break even ,ive got a sky itaila and that was £1200 a year

Wez... whats a sky italia?

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:45 pm

Daya wrote:
wez 1927 wrote:

Wez... whats a sky italia?

its owned by sky uk but broadcast in italy ,the premiership games were in english com untill a few months back but really it the same as sky but cause its an european card its not illegal yet to show in public

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:21 am

Why cant we have Independent pubs who sell cans of beer for about 1.00 each

A few landlords have come into my Asda lately to buy stella and Carling so it obviously goes on.

Thank god for wetherspoons 1.49 Ruddles 1.80 Son of a Bitch

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:42 am

I know Kooler's in Merthyr sells cans! :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:26 pm

Be careful, the price will change if the delivery can't be made today (which it won't because of the snow). If you placed an order for it today and the delivery couldn't be done until tomorrow, then you'll be paying tomorrow's price for it (the original price) which will probably be a tenner more expensive. Seen this on Watchdog and to be honest, even if there was no snow today, Tesco would probably say that they're out of stock and can't do the delivery until tomorrow to con us.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Be careful, the price will change if the delivery can't be made today (which it won't because of the snow). If you placed an order for it today and the delivery couldn't be done until tomorrow, then you'll be paying tomorrow's price for it (the original price) which will probably be a tenner more expensive. Seen this on Watchdog and to be honest, even if there was no snow today, Tesco would probably say that they're out of stock and can't do the delivery until tomorrow to con us.

just ordered 5 crates, being delivered tomorrow :P the offer is on till new years eve :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:25 pm

tripper wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Be careful, the price will change if the delivery can't be made today (which it won't because of the snow). If you placed an order for it today and the delivery couldn't be done until tomorrow, then you'll be paying tomorrow's price for it (the original price) which will probably be a tenner more expensive. Seen this on Watchdog and to be honest, even if there was no snow today, Tesco would probably say that they're out of stock and can't do the delivery until tomorrow to con us.

just ordered 5 crates, being delivered tomorrow :P the offer is on till new years eve :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

That's class, let's hope they deliver them to you tomorrow! :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:17 pm

I know a landlord who is back and fore the supermarkets with his trannie like a proverbial blue arsed fly. good luck to him aslong as the pub stay's open!

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:31 pm

I know it's all down to personal taste, but I cannot understand why people drink Strongbow. It's got to be the worst cider on the market and has been for years. It tastes like it's been made in a laboratory by men in white coats.

I'm not a huge cider drinker but I do love a decent pint of it. Stuff like Thatchers, Gwynt y Ddraig, Aspells, Westons Organic are head and shoulders above the likes of Bow, Magners etc.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:33 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
tripper wrote:

That's class, let's hope they deliver them to you tomorrow! :ayatollah:

doesn't matter if they don't turn up till thursday, plenty in the fridge to keep me going :lol: :lol:

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:36 pm

harold pinta wrote:I know it's all down to personal taste, but I cannot understand why people drink Strongbow. It's got to be the worst cider on the market and has been for years. It tastes like it's been made in a laboratory by men in white coats.

I'm not a huge cider drinker but I do love a decent pint of it. Stuff like Thatchers, Gwynt y Ddraig, Aspells, Westons Organic are head and shoulders above the likes of Bow, Magners etc.

Yes but Mongbow is traditional RAMS booze...got to agree Westons is great and that Cornish Rattler stuff!

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:40 pm

Do youselves and your tastebuds a favour, and support a South Wales business while you're at it.

http://www.gwyntcider.com/gyd/index.php/bottled

Quality cider, made in Pontypridd.