Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Players Mentioned In The Echo Today...

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:07 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -27857939/

What are you opinions on them?
Would you take them back?

Glenn Loovens - NO, if he's struglling in Scotland and can't get into Celtic's team, he is not good enough for us. I wouldn't pay 2m for him either.

Mark Reynolds - havn't seen him play but he is young, and if they rejected a 750,00 bid for him, he must have something about him, worth a punt.

Kelvin Wilson - YES, big strong and very talented, out of contract at the end of the summer so shouldn't cost that much.

Montgomery - not sure, he's 29 so he's not the youngest, could do a job, gives he all and a good defensive midfielder.

Micheal Tonge - ''undoubted talent'' remind you of anyone? he's 27, wasn't to impressed with him when he played against us for preston, could do a job.

Adam Hammill - YES, quality, quick direct scores goals only 22 definatley should try and get him.

Wayne Routledge - YES, again qualty at this level, pace to burn and a bag of tricks, wages and price tag could be a stumbling block.

Leon Best - could be a handy back up for bothroyd, would be wanting a move due to carroll being the main man up in newcastle.

James Vaughan - YES for me, quick very dangerous, scored goals in a struggling team and only 22.

Steve Howard - 34, would be a great back up for bothroyd but his age and the fact we have to give him a 2 year contract could put jones off.

what do you think about the players mentioned above?
:ayatollah:

Re: The Players Mentioned In The Echo Today...

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:33 pm

id take hammill or routledge (preferably hammill), wilson, vaughan and howard

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:54 pm

I would take Hammill, Wilson, Vaughan.

If i could add the the list of players, i would also mention McGugan (Forest)

Jonny Evans (Manchester Utd, Loan) & Darron Gibson (Manchester Utd, Loan)
Ok maybe im going over the top. :lol:
:ayatollah:

Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:18 pm

There are better options!

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:13 pm

brilliantbluebirds09 wrote:There are better options!

like who?

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:23 pm

no to loovens, friend of mine who regularly watch Celtic say he a big liability
plus i dont think his heart would be in it

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:47 pm

Woody CCFC wrote:

like who?

There's always plenty of options. Unfortunately, we don't have the scouting network to look overseas. Now we have VT, hopefully funds can be put aside to give us a scouting network to search Europe for better players at a cheaper price. This is what Swansea have done and look where it's got them. Whether we like it or not, they have a squad just as good as ours with probably a third of the transfer budget and wages spent.

We should be looking at the reserve teams of the top leagues in Europe, such as Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Holland and Portugal; and be aiming to sign the top players from the leagues in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Poland etc. The right players in these leagues would probably be better than some of the players we are targetting at a cheaper price. I watch the African Nations and always think how I would love some of the African players in our team as they are mobile, physically strong athletes that never stop running. I remember being impressed by one Angolan midfield player who was still in the local Angolan league and he stood out as well as the Essien's and Drogba's and could probably have been picked up for peanuts. Restricting our targets to just England and Scotland restricts our options and this is our downfall.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:57 pm

Yea, Africans would definitely help! they have passion for football, good athletes etc.

From the list Hammill and Vaughan HELL YEA

Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Woody CCFC wrote:

like who?

There's always plenty of options. Unfortunately, we don't have the scouting network to look overseas. Now we have VT, hopefully funds can be put aside to give us a scouting network to search Europe for better players at a cheaper price. This is what Swansea have done and look where it's got them. Whether we like it or not, they have a squad just as good as ours with probably a third of the transfer budget and wages spent.

We should be looking at the reserve teams of the top leagues in Europe, such as Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Holland and Portugal; and be aiming to sign the top players from the leagues in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Poland etc. The right players in these leagues would probably be better than some of the players we are targetting at a cheaper price. I watch the African Nations and always think how I would love some of the African players in our team as they are mobile, physically strong athletes that never stop running. I remember being impressed by one Angolan midfield player who was still in the local Angolan league and he stood out as well as the Essien's and Drogba's and could probably have been picked up for peanuts. Restricting our targets to just England and Scotland restricts our options and this is our downfall.

very true, but can not see it happening unfortunatly :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:21 pm

I don't fell confident on us getting any money to buy players unless we sell Chopra,so its a couple of loans till the end of the season at best.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Routledge and Vaughan are possibles Wilson will be off to the Premier League. The rest would be low down on my list.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:26 pm

Woody CCFC wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Woody CCFC wrote:There are better options!

like who?

very true, but can not see it happening unfortunatly :ayatollah:[/quote]

I know it probably won't happen and it's a shame. Because I think there's so many bargains out there in Europe, European players are cheaper than English players and the money we invest to set up a scouting network abroad would be small change in comparison to the quality of players we could sign for cheaper prices. Players like Van Der Vaart spring to mind, I don't think Tottenham even paid 10 million for him whereas Man City fork out over 20 million plus Stephen Ireland for James Milner.

Arsene Wenger paid 500k for Patrick Vieira, 300k for Gael Clichy, 250k for Emmanuel Petit and 150k for Kolo Toure. That's 1.2 million spent on 4 world class players, only slightly over what we paid for Mark Hudson. That's just a few examples of the talent that's out there that we are missing out on.