Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Match report Cardiff City v Coventry City '

Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:35 pm

I felt the cold as I stopped just after the M50 for my break from my journey. It attacked my toes as I stepped out of my car and I asked the question do they allow football matches to be played in such circumstances. Even the extra hours drive with the heating on full blast could not warm up my toes so I gratefully accepted Premiers Ones offer of a pair of his socks at his place. The indignity of wearing someones else socks on top of the ones I had one was something I was willing to take the abuse for if it got out like. However the offer of borrowing some leggings to wear underneath my jeans was just a bridge to far.

A good crowd had assembled at the Ninian pub for our forum pre-match drink/talk. I felt the atmosphere was one of not expecting much. I put this down to our poor run of results of late plus the cold which was down to -10. Will this snow ever go away or should I say the black ice. You guys have been hit pretty bad down there.

We were all wrapped up as we took our seats at CSS and listened to the team line up. A few surprises came out from it. Marshall remained in goal with the fit Heaton on the bench. Well that did surprise me. Riggott name was mentioned for the first time, that surprised me as I thought he was struggling with training. He was to partnered by Hudson in central defence with MacNaughton on the right and Naylor on the left. To some Naylors selection is still a surprise. McPhail started which to me was another surprise, where is Drinkwater? McPhail and Oli with Bellamy and Whitts on the wings made up the midfield. The biggest surprise though came up front with Chopra and Keogh making up the team. No Jay? Did anyone know he was injured, think it was mentioned on here he had a reoccurence of the handstring during training. Then it was realised that Burke was missing. Burke and Jay, the 2 guys that have premier teams looking at them. Makes you wonder why they were not picked.

The game kicked off and it is fair to say that it was all Cardiff who attacked down the Bellamy wing. Craig made mince meat of his opposing full back and sent some tempting low crosses into the area. Some desperate defending by the visiting defence stopped Cardiff taking an early lead. From another Bellamy attack Chopra found himself on the edge of the box with his back to the goal. A lovely turn left his marker standing but his low shot went wide.

Most of the early pressure came from the Bellamy wing, left side, but its was from Whittingham wing that saw the first of many class saves from the Coventry goalkeeper Westward. From a Whitts set piece found the debutant Riggot who flicked the ball goalbound producing a perfect reflex save from Westward.

Cardiff controlled the game at this stage with some free flowing passing in midfield that set Bellamy loose down the wing. One such move 21 minutes into the game saw the first Cardiff goal. The passing combination of McPhail amd Oli found Bellamy in space again. Craig sent another low cross back across the Coventry area where Oli was waiting on the 18 yard line. Oli cooly side stepped the ball into the top corner of the goal giving Westward no chance. A richly deserved lead.

Cardiff continued to dominate for the rest of the half with the same flowing movements from midfield that allowed Chopra to test Westward again a couple of times with both efforts producing world class saves. With Westwards contract with Coventry terminating in the summer, whats the chances of him following us into the premier, with us?

Although Cardiff dominated the game Coventry just before half time did hit the post. From a cross by the corner flag the ball swung away from the goal and was met by a Coventry head on the 18 yard line. The header directed the ball to the goal and looked like going nowhere as there was enough cover on the goal line. However the ball was allowed to carry on in its path and created a heart stopping moment as it was allowed to hit the post.

The ref blew his whistle for half time with the score Cardiff City 1 Coventry City 0.

After the restart it was the visitors that came out more lively. The infamous Marlon King causing a few problems down the Naylor defence line. One such move allowed Kimg to send the ball across the Cardiff penalty area and behind the defence line. The cross reached an unmarked Coventry attacker who should have easily put the ball in the net but fortunately sliced wide.

The next move saw the Cardiff fans all put their hands on their heads, no it was not the Ayatollah, as Westward pulled of another world class save from Bellamy.

After this Coventry had a good spell but produced very little. In fact is was Chopra again who had the next real chance as Cardiff started to get back into the game. As Cardiff passed the ball around the Coventry area the ball found Chopra free with only Westward to beat. Chopras snap shout prodcued the best save of the game from Westward who somehow managed to turn the ball away for a corner.

Coventry brought on the giant hulk Platt as they went for an equaliser. They did managed to get the ball in the Cardiff goal as they had another period of pressure. However the lineman put his flag up for offside and that was the last chance they had.

After the offside goal Cardiff took the initiative again with their free flowing football where Bellamy was making a nuisance of himself down his wing. One such move on the 83 rd minute saw him cut inside the Coventry defence and from 20 yards he let go a powerful shot that hit a Coventry hand in the area. The home support were about to shout for a penalty but then realised the ball had gone into the net. I would say Westward had the shot covered but the hand had deflected the ball into the net. There was a bit of confusion at the time but soon the home supporters realised the goal was given and the celebrations started.

There has not been much said about Keogh so far but he had worked his socks off in this game. He did some good moves with Chopra and Bellamy around the Coventry box. One such move he lifted the ball over the Coventry defence, this just before full time, leaving Bellamy with only Westward to beat. A half volley from Craig produced another world class save. Its save to say this Westward guy was the man of the match.

The referee brought the game to an end with the result Cardiff City 2 Coventry City 0.

Summing up. A deserved win. Every player out in a shift. I'm glad to report there where no silly mistakes although MacNaughton entertained us when he stepped on the ball and ended up going flat on his face.

There has been some negative comments about the team and manager. Rightly so with the last few results before this game. Todays game has dampended some of that negativity but remember its only one game. DJ used that sentance after the Jacks game. Lets see what the next few games bring us.

Re: Sticky: ' Match report Cardiff City v Coventry City '

Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:43 pm

Great Report Ian, Much Appreciated :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:04 am

Who is this Westward? Its Westwood. :lol:

Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:39 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Who is this Westward? Its Westwood. :lol:

:lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:55 am

Excellent as Usual Ian, Cheers for that :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Who is this Westward? Its Westwood. :lol:

Outstanding keeper. Pleased with the teams performance. With Mcphail in the midle of the park we passed the ball around a lot more, something I think we should always try to do. No need for this long ball nonsense we use on a regular basis.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:49 pm

This match proved that we CAN play well without Bothroyd. Lets hope they can remember this in future. Presumably Burke will be in for Bellamy tomorrow, if he is over his virus.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:51 pm

Cheers Ian, That game already seems a distant memory.