Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" THURSDAY 30th DECEMBER 2010 UPDATE "

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:42 pm

James Vaughan’s name has been bandied about for a few days as a certain signing and I take my share of responsibility by adding fuel to the fire by declaring he will be our first January signing. I have had information from someone who is very close to the player and he confirmed that a deal was done for £1million ( payable in 2 lots of £500k ) plus add on’s ( appearences and promotion ) and a 2 and half year contract.

With stories coming out of Liverpool that no such deal has been done I have again spoken with a contact and have been told again that the deal has been agreed. I have it on good authority that the story in the Liverpool paper was done as a result of a text received from someone working at Everton rather than an interview of any kind.

Obviously until the paperwork is signed then the player could end up elsewhere and I am aware of interest from Leicester and Derby but again I am being told that ‘ it is a done deal’.

There is a sticking point at the moment but it is not expected to ruin the deal, Everton now want more of an upfront payment than what City have offered.

Travelling back from Watford I told the 20 or so Neath Port Talbot Blues that Andy O’Brien was a target of DJ’s and that DJ will make a move early in January, going on stories today it seems that is the case. This presents a problem for Leeds Utd who are convinced, I am told, that Andy will be extending his current loan deal with them which ironically ends on January 4th.

O’Brien sometimes trains with Leeds and at other times with Bolton and today I can confirm that Leeds believed he was training with Bolton as he did not turn up for training in Yorkshire.

I have had it confirmed that Andy O'Brien was at CCS today.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/l ... 6675848.jp

Another player that City are in talks with is Wayne Routledge from Newcastle, City made an approach and have been in talks with Newcastle over a proposed move, surprisingly the Geordies are willing to leave Wayne go but much work is to be done on the fee and how it is paid. Newcastle want in the region of £2million for Routledge and that they want the money up front.

I understand that Vincent Tan has turned down DJ’s request to fund the deal outright and it has been left to City officials to secure the deal. It is my understanding that City are offering part payment now and the rest in the summer. The deal is not dead but Newcastle want money up front as there can be no assurance that City will have the money in the summer.

Jonathan Woodgate has been named on here as a target also of Dave Jones and this came about as a result of Woodgate’s friendship with Craig Bellamy. The pair have been friends for many years since their days at Newcastle together, I understand that Woodgate and Bellamy were talking last week about Woodgate’s immediate future and he told Craig that Spurs were letting go out on loan.

Bellamy asked Woodgate to consider coming to City and Woodgate said he would fancy it. Bellamy informed Dave Jones of Woodgates comments and Dave made the approach through the appropriate channels. It is a matter of how a deal can be negotiated and how it is paid.

Dave Jones has got a massive couple of weeks ahead of him with the transfer window due to open and obviously the lack of positive results. More so there are stories of unrest within the camp and talk of splits in the dressing room. If this is true then DJ has to get hold of the dressing room and even shift players out whom maybe upsetting the cause. On current form it is understandable for anyone to believe that there is a problem and as manager of the squad, ultimately the buck stops with him.

So much so that after the match at Watford, Dave Jones and his coaching staff stayed in the dressing room for a whole hour and quarter after the final whistle, the players had left the dressing room a good half an hour before anyone of the management team appeared.

If it means selling a player or players to allow harmony then so be it because you can have the greatest players in the world but if they don’t gel or there is a rift they will never be a successful team. I believe that Dave will sell a player or 2 in the transfer window and there will certainly be players going out on loan.

Dave Jones has to be ruthless now as he knows his job and our success rely on his decisions over the course of the next few weeks.

Cardiff City have had record takings in the club shop for the month of December and the club officials are overjoyed at the number of sales recorded especially as what is traditionally their best day for sales ( the Saturday before Christmas ) our game was called off against Burnley.

Also for the period from August to December City recorded their highest ever numbers through the turnstiles in our history. The information has been passed on to TG who is thrilled at the figures presented to him.

I understand why some supporters feel annoyed by the club's decision to give all fans who went to Watford the chance to buy items in the club shop at a bigger discount but I know it was done with the best intention and it was not simply a marketing ploy.

Sales for the Leeds Utd game on January 4th are selling very well and as such the Ninian Stand and the Family Stand are near sell out and the Canton Stand has limited availability. It is only in the Grandstand are you most likely to get seats sat next together but I would advise anyone wanting to be at the game to get your ticket now, the ticket office is open on New years eve also so there is no excuse. Premier seats are available to buy but only through current members.

On Tuesday at the full time whistle many of our players clapped our support and acknowledged our fantastic support again. I am told that this happened as a result of feedback the club has received through this forum and certain officials made it clear to the management and players that supporters have become annoyed at the apparent lack of appreciation from the pitch and thankfully many players did make a gesture.

Our academy has been left in a bad way since Sam Hammam left ,it was severely underfunded during Peter Ridsdale’s tenure and despite him inheriting a top academy bringing through some top players he allowed it be run down and now it is at its lowest. Sam was funding the academy to the tune of £1million per year and never once asked the fans for help, Peter Ridsdale never funded the academy during his time and eventually asked the fans for help through the Academy Foundation and he employed people to run the Academy Foundation. Unfortunately when you employ someone then you have to pay them wages and I understand that as a result only 10% of the money donated actually makes it to the actual academy.

We have an initiative running at the moment which is being backed by Director Steve Borley and we guarantee that every penny raised will go to the Development centres which feed the academy and towards equipment that will help our youngsters with their training programmes.

It is the intention to directly purchase the first pieces of equipment in January which will help support our youngsters in their development. Steve Borley has again has for his gratitude and thanks to all the members who have been instrumental in raising thousands of pounds so far.

Join the initiative here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27677 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

The House of Sport which was built by Steve Borley at a cost of £2million is now in half shares with Vincent Tan. Tan bought 50% of the project and now has the opportunity to purchase the rest of the build. This was the investment I told you about recently that Tan had made for further investment in our club.

Newport County enjoyed the House of Sport again today as they used the facilities to train on.

As of writing this update no agreement has been reached between Langston and the club, this in my opinion is the worst news for the club and us the fans. The club had an opportunity to reduce the debt by millions and appear not to want to take the offer that is in front of them. There is always tonight and tomorrow to conclude a deal but even the most optimistic will believe that no deal will be done.

What Langston do next is anybody’s guess but I would imagine that they will be left feeling disappointed at the situation. They were asked to name a price to reduce and settle and to give a timeframe, to me it seems that Langston have remained patient with the club and I would guess that the patience is now wearing thin.

Re: STICKY : " THURSDAY 30th DECEMBER 2010 UPDATE "

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:53 pm

excellent update carl cheers :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:53 pm

cheers carl your a legend :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:54 pm

carl how confident are you on all 4 of these players arrving and more???

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:55 pm

Excellent update again carl thanks :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Cheers Carl another awesome update, well chuffed i was online at the time :D :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:57 pm

Geat Read Carl

Thanks for the Info - Its very much appreciated

Keep up the good work & happy new year to you & your family

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:00 pm

Nice one carl.....

Cheers for the update!

Annis mentioned another big name signing will be completed tonight - when will this be announced?

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:00 pm

Cheers Carl - Great post.
Any news on Bothroyd or is it all being kept quiet? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:01 pm

unrest in the camp then :lol: Happens every season with us, just a bit earlier this season. Care to name names? :lol: . So will be a fair bit of movement in the transfer market - in and out. Big gamble by Jones - shit or bust I suggest. As you say the Langston thing is a bit worrying 30 or so hours to go yet mind - it'll go to the wire, bit of Russsian Roulette going on :lol:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:01 pm

Cheers Carl :ayatollah:

With city looking at Routledge does that mean that Bruke will be one of the players sold?
Cant understand why you would let a debt go back up to £20 odd million if you could pay £7 million today. Maybe thats why Tan is a Billionaire and iam not :lol:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:02 pm

Nice one Carl :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Thank you Carl, internet highlight of the week for me :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Cheers Carl - Great Update as always.

Happy New Year to you and your family :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:08 pm

Thanks Carl for the nice and early update. Happy new year to you and your family :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:09 pm

ackers1927 wrote:Cheers Carl :ayatollah:

With city looking at Routledge does that mean that Bruke will be one of the players sold?
Cant understand why you would let a debt go back up to £20 odd million if you could pay £7 million today. Maybe thats why Tan is a Billionaire and iam not :lol:

Loopholes? unsecured debt? adjourned court cases? he obviously has found or knows something? :lol:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:10 pm

Tan buying into the house of sport is great news. I think it shows that he is looking at the long term future of the club.

Happy new year to you and your family Carl :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:19 pm

Merlin wrote:Nice one carl.....

Cheers for the update!

Annis mentioned another big name signing will be completed tonight - when will this be announced?

any comments on this carl, who is this other signing?? :roll:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:20 pm

brewer918 wrote:

Cheers for the update!

seconded

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:21 pm

I personally think Tan is going to screw Langston over like he did with Ridsdale. He will find a technicality or something. It's interesting that Tan seems to be financially backing Jones with Vaughan, but isn't willing to fork out a bigger fee to allow Jones to sign Routledge. It seems Tan is still a bit undecided with Jones as if he was fully backing Jones, he would provide funds to allow Jones to sign Routledge.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:23 pm

welldone carl, im finding this strange with the langston deal,it seems obvious to me we should do a deal :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:24 pm

ihatealiens wrote:unrest in the camp then :lol: Happens every season with us, just a bit earlier this season. Care to name names? :lol: . So will be a fair bit of movement in the transfer market - in and out. Big gamble by Jones - shit or bust I suggest. As you say the Langston thing is a bit worrying 30 or so hours to go yet mind - it'll go to the wire, bit of Russsian Roulette going on :lol:

malasian roulette more like :D

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Cheers carl! Great read as always!! :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:29 pm

VT obviously has a plan, investing in many area's suggests he is here for the cause.
I do wonder what his thinking is behind sam/langstone? He must have seen something
in all the dodgy documentation that makes him not worried about it. I know its unsecured,
but it surely appears like he doesnt care about it one bit. After all the millions he has already
pumped in, whats another 5 or 7???
As for routledge, plain weird as i am sure he is in Newcastle starting 11? Just cant see it.
Woodgate in defence would be a winner mind. good update. :)

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:41 pm

thanks for the update carl.
hope you are wrong about routledge----the greedy b*stard left us in the lurch before and we should not touch him with a bargepole.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:45 pm

interesting news, so I guess VT isnt going to step down even if we dont get promoted...if Routledge deal is done im certain Burke is leaving, as he is probably one of those who causes unrest in team with his bitching about Scotland or what not

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:48 pm

brewer918 wrote:

Cheers for the update!

"I have had it confirmed that Andy O'Brien was at CCS today."
Do you think that might be Carl's hint as to the second signing?

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:51 pm

alexc wrote:
brewer918 wrote:

Cheers for the update!

"I have had it confirmed that Andy O'Brien was at CCS today."
Do you think that might be Carl's hint as to the second signing?

i think the andy obrien signing is seperate!! i thought perhaps it maybe a seperate player again!!

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:52 pm

Carl

An outstanding update. It's fantastic that a clubs supporters have this amount of inside information on the club we all love. Never known it in all my years.

Keep keeping us updated. U know how much it means to all of us.

Nice seeing u and ur daughter on Tuesday. Hope to be at Ninian on Tues before dirty Leeds game.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:54 pm

cheers carl, :ayatollah: