Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

This is not the best squad we've had for years.....

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:04 pm

I see a lot of people say that we should be walking this league, with players like Bellamy, Whittingham, Chopra, Bothroyd, Burke that we should be in a Newcastle-like domination run of form, but if we're being honest, we do have a great front liine, and a fairly good midfield. But the current defensive line-up in the team is unsettling to say the least.

Hudson, Gyepes, Quinn, Naylor and Blake are all League One players at best. If we had a solid defence, then yes we'd walk this league. But it's clear when they don't perform it knocks the confidence of the rest of the team. If we were keeping consistent clean sheets, then I have no doubt the rest of the team would quickly find their form again. With the defence we have I feel there's too much pressure on players like Bellamy and Chopra to perform, just so we can get a result.

Never mind Parkin, Vaughan and Routledge, get some decent centre-half's and a new left back in DJ! Build solid foundations and take pressure off the shoulders of out front-line.

Re: This is not the best squad we've had for years.....

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:20 pm

ON PAPER WE ARE GREAT, PITY WE DONT PLAY ON PAPER

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Dave Jones Said it is and on this point I virtually agree with him, The Squad over All including Gerrard is one of the Best Squads Weve ever had, THE PROBLEM LIES WITH THE MANAGER.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:42 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:ON PAPER WE ARE GREAT, PITY WE DONT PLAY ON PAPER

Roy, Spot on. :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:46 pm

MyNameIsAled wrote:I see a lot of people say that we should be walking this league, with players like Bellamy, Whittingham, Chopra, Bothroyd, Burke that we should be in a Newcastle-like domination run of form, but if we're being honest, we do have a great front liine, and a fairly good midfield. But the current defensive line-up in the team is unsettling to say the least.

Hudson, Gyepes, Quinn, Naylor and Blake are all League One players at best. If we had a solid defence, then yes we'd walk this league. But it's clear when they don't perform it knocks the confidence of the rest of the team. If we were keeping consistent clean sheets, then I have no doubt the rest of the team would quickly find their form again. With the defence we have I feel there's too much pressure on players like Bellamy and Chopra to perform, just so we can get a result.

Never mind Parkin, Vaughan and Routledge, get some decent centre-half's and a new left back in DJ! Build solid foundations and take pressure off the shoulders of out front-line.

i would have to agree with this mate we have great forward thinking players but come to our defence and its diabolical. to me the likes of chopra bothroyd bellamy and whittingham have to much pressure on them cos there is no faith in the defence keeping clean sheets (rightly so) but also the team needs to start defending as a team start from the front. :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:50 pm

beckett wrote:
MyNameIsAled wrote:I see a lot of people say that we should be walking this league, with players like Bellamy, Whittingham, Chopra, Bothroyd, Burke that we should be in a Newcastle-like domination run of form, but if we're being honest, we do have a great front liine, and a fairly good midfield. But the current defensive line-up in the team is unsettling to say the least.

i would have to agree with this mate we have great forward thinking players but come to our defence and its diabolical. to me the likes of chopra bothroyd bellamy and whittingham have to much pressure on them cos there is no faith in the defence keeping clean sheets (rightly so) but also the team needs to start defending as a team start from the front. :ayatollah:

But then if you Both Disagree it means your Disagreeing with Dave Jones ?

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Jones has had 5 years to bolster our defence. It seems he can only sort out going forward, but not taking care of the defence.

For a former defender, it's shocking.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
beckett wrote:

But then if you Both Disagree it means your Disagreeing with Dave Jones ?

yeah i suppose i am tbh. its all good having gret flair players but if u cant keep clean sheets u will loose games. u need one or two guys in the team who are there purley to defend and brake up play i.e shaun derry not many people dont like him but does a gr8 job gives good balance to qpr and stops other teams flair players from playing. the only defender good enough for us is mcnaughton and also 1 out on loan to hull :roll:

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
welshcitydragon wrote:ON PAPER WE ARE GREAT, PITY WE DONT PLAY ON PAPER

Roy, Spot on. :ayatollah:

We can't play on fecking grass at the moment never mind paper :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:56 pm

aled

this is the whole reason he has pissed me off.
Our defence was not great last year and it should have been strengthened with another centre half and two full backs but it is weaker now than it was last year.
Everytime i watch us im waiting for us to concede and even now he is still looking to sign more strikers first.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:37 pm

steve davies wrote:

aled

this is the whole reason he has pissed me off.

Of course I agree with the Defence being not good, But DJ kept Saying its the Best Squad ever, we pay Hudson £14,000 a Week, Now Jones picked that Defence.
Our defence was not great last year and it should have been strengthened with another centre half and two full backs but it is weaker now than it was last year.
Everytime i watch us im waiting for us to concede and even now he is still looking to sign more strikers first.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:48 pm

I personally think our overall play this season has gone backwards on the two previous seasons, at present i'd settle for a play-off place, just can't see us being top two.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:09 pm

My honest opinion of Jones pre-season signings:

Koumas: Finished. Barely played in 18 months. Huge gamble enough said.
Keogh: Never a centre forward/ target man/ goal scorer. Headless chicken. Bigger version of Warren Feeney.
Riggot: Another massive gamble. Career wrecked by injury.
Drinkwater: What's happened to him for Christs sake?
Bellamy: Well lets be totally honest lads time to take off those rose tinted specs, you can see why Mancini wouldn't put him in his squad. Shadow of the player he was.
Naylor: Total crap. Can't defend, slow, flat footed going into the tackle, offers nothing going forward.
Heaton: Underwhelmed by him when he was with us a few seasons ago. The best of a bad bunch when it comes to our GK's. Scares me marginally less than Marshall does.

So to state what must have been obvious to Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles and Lenny Peters, no sign in that little lot of strengthening the defence. Can anyone explain why Gerrard was sent out on loan? I still can't get my head around that one.