Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

You Can't Please Everybody!

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:58 am

We’ve accused Dave Jones for ages now, of not having a “Plan B!”
I’ve said before, that in order to have this elusive “Plan B,” you have to have the personnel to be able to carry it out!
Prior to this season, we certainly did not have the personnel, or squad in depth, to be able to have a “Plan B” and sometimes, we didn’t even have the personnel to have a “Plan A!”
DJ may well have stumbled upon a “Plan B,” when Chopra got injured at home against Doncaster this season, where he ended up playing a 4-5-1 type formation, which then worked well for several games, until we picked up a load of injuries to key players and a long term injury to Drinkwater, who was playing superbly alongside Oli at that time!
DJ then tries a “Plan B or C” against Swansea, which blows up in his face and he gets severely criticised for changing his “Plan A” and attempting another plan.
Let’s not forget that against Swansea, DJ had no choice but to change his team, as we had Jay suspended for needlessly picking up at least 4 out of his 5 bookings! This wasn’t DJ’s fault!
Okay, I don’t personally think that DJ made the right decision in leaving Burkey on the bench against Swansea, but at least he tried a different plan, even if it looked like he was trying to revert to the original successful “Plan B, post the Doncaster game!”
We can’t have it all ways, as it has often been identified on here, we don’t have a reserve team, (or enough personnel for a reserve team IMO), in order to practice a “Plan B or Plan C,” so the only place to practice a different formation, or playing somebody in a different position, is to either try it out in a League match, or risk getting more of our players injured, in a hastily arranged friendly match!

We’ve also long criticised DJ for not having back up for Jay and as soon as we bring in a proven Championship striker in Jon Parkin, for a paltry £100,000 to fill that void, we criticise DJ again!
I know that DJ can be a miserable and surly git, but I think that we’ve all also forgotten, that as well as having to deal with team matters, DJ also appears to be running day to day matters within the club now, along with trying to attract new players into the club! I know that he’s got a good training team behind him, but this is surely putting more and more pressure on him!
Whilst he comes across as being grumpy to say the least, perhaps we should try and cut him some slack at the moment, realise that whilst things aren’t going so well on the pitch, he’s working his socks off behind the scenes to resolve those issues and hope his transfer dealings come to fruition!

He has also been criticised for not showing the fans any respect or recognition, but this also cuts both ways and don’t forget, he has never asked for recognition or praise himself!

Yes, I know that we’ve got some big games coming up, but we’ve won some big games this season already and I cannot see any reason why we shouldn’t start winning some more big games soon!

I’m sure that there are many more matters he has to deal with, than those which I’ve listed, but whilst we know he’s getting paid a pretty penny to do so, I think it's clear that he's not going to be sacked during this transfer window at least, so anyone chanting Jones out etc., can only have a destabilising affect upon the team as well!

I think it’s now time to get off his case and get behind him, the team and other staff, which we should start tonight against Leeds! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Come on then shoot me down yer Buggers! :) :ayatollah:

Re: You Can't Please Everybody!

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:02 pm

I think there's a stark difference between having a Plan B and trying something which is doomed to fail. The Swansea game reminded me of the Allies Market Garden operation in World War II!

I do see your points though and I think our fans are divided into...

- Those who will always find something to have a go at Jones about.
- Those who feel he has had enough time and now we need to change before it is too late.
- Those who are losing faith but still feel Jones can turn it around.
- Those who will support Jones no matter what.

I am bordering between the middle two. My opinion changes as I hear a different fan's arguments for or against Jones. It's not an easy subject.

For the 90 minutes we play though, whoever is in charge gets my support. All I can do is hope that others have the same opinion.

Re: You Can't Please Everybody!

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Everything in the original post is undeniable fact.

Brilliant post. :ayatollah: