Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff & Swansea Players

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Have you & the Jacks bought & sold many players between yourselves over the years?

Who was the best / worst buy? And how did the fans take to them knowing they have come from the 'enemy' ?

Would be interested to know.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Cardiff & Swansea Players

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:53 pm

The prominent figure here is Andy Legg who became a legend here after we brought him from the Jacks.

There are a number of players who have played for both clubs that none Cardiff Swansea fans would recognise such as John Toshack and David Giles. However Andy Legg is the one who has endeared himself to us Cardiff fans.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:58 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:The prominent figure here is Andy Legg who became a legend here after we brought him from the Jacks.

There are a number of players who have played for both clubs that none Cardiff Swansea fans would recognise such as John Toshack and David Giles. However Andy Legg is the one who has endeared himself to us Cardiff fans.

I never knew you bought him from the Jacks, I always remember him as a Cardiff man. Good little player with a big mop of blonde barnet :lol:

Any move between the clubs turn sour? Fans not take to a particular player?

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:03 pm

Not long ago Warren Feeney went to the Jacks on loan while they were in league one. He did quite well there scoring some important goals for them. On his return to us he was booed when he came on as a substitute. He then struggled with us and has since moved to Oldham. I'm not sure if he felt uncomfortable with his return or the fact he was not given a real chance here that is why he struggled.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:09 pm

Yeah Andy Legg was an absolute star. Didn't Jason Bowen play for Swansea as well or am I mistaken?

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Adam Matthews is actually a jack, but I don't know if he's ever played for them. We took him through our academy system, but don't know if he was in theirs or not.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:14 pm

Warren feeney also played for both clubs :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:On his return to us he was booed when he came on as a substitute. He then struggled with us and has since moved to Oldham. I'm not sure if he felt uncomfortable with his return or the fact he was not given a real chance here that is why he struggled.

I don't think the fact that he came back from the jacks and was booed was the reason he struggled and then left. He didn't fit into Jones' plans and didn't score enough goals, which is why he was loaned out in the first place. As far as I remember, he got injured playing for them and they just didn't want him to go back to them. As soon as he was loaned out, the writing was on the wall for him here.

Don't forget other Cardiff-Swansea players like Alan Curtis and Robbie James

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Zabier wrote:Yeah Andy Legg was an absolute star. Didn't Jason Bowen play for Swansea as well or am I mistaken?

yes bowen did and paul brayson

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:46 pm

John Williams
David fat tw*t Penney

Sometimes you'd think David jones is there manager

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:01 pm

C-MOB wrote:Have you & the Jacks bought & sold many players between yourselves over the years?

Who was the best / worst buy? And how did the fans take to them knowing they have come from the 'enemy' ?

Today may be a good day to mention John Charles, even if he only played for the Swansea Town schools team before joining Leeds Utd.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:09 pm

We didn't buy Legg off the Jacks, he was just an ex-jack. Players like David Penney, Nigel Stevenson, Mark Harris, Alan Curtis, David Giles, John Cornforth, John Williams, Legg, Jason Bowen, Jimmy Gilligan, Kevin Nugent, Dai Thomas, Anthony Bird all played for both. I'm sure there are many more.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:On his return to us he was booed when he came on as a substitute. He then struggled with us and has since moved to Oldham. I'm not sure if he felt uncomfortable with his return or the fact he was not given a real chance here that is why he struggled.

I don't think the fact that he came back from the jacks and was booed was the reason he struggled and then left. He didn't fit into Jones' plans and didn't score enough goals, which is why he was loaned out in the first place. As far as I remember, he got injured playing for them and they just didn't want him to go back to them. As soon as he was loaned out, the writing was on the wall for him here.

Don't forget other Cardiff-Swansea players like Alan Curtis and Robbie James

The guy that died a few years ago?

Played for QPR also. Good player.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Not long ago Warren Feeney went to the Jacks on loan while they were in league one. He did quite well there scoring some important goals for them. On his return to us he was booed when he came on as a substitute. He then struggled with us and has since moved to Oldham. I'm not sure if he felt uncomfortable with his return or the fact he was not given a real chance here that is why he struggled.

Feeney was NEVER really given an extended run in the team (ask Annis :lol: ) despite being on one of the longest contracts ever seen at Cardif City....

The Jacks wanted to keep him (so he must have been successfl) and I cannot remember why he didn't go...but (and I'm sure I'll be corrected here) he always seemed content to take his not inconsiderable wages right til the end....

Leggy was (still is!!) class :ayatollah:

Toshack went to 'manage' them and was undoubtedly successful after (ironically) being shunned by Cardiff

If only, eh????

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:41 pm

C-MOB wrote:Have you & the Jacks bought & sold many players between yourselves over the years?

Two excellent players, Alan Curtis, and Robbie James (rip)