Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHAT FOOTBALL CONTACTS DOES SAM HAMMAM HAVE??

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:33 pm

This is an oft cited benefit of the proposed, and as yet non-existant return of Sam Hammam.

So could someone tell me what football contacts he has that would enable us to bring in better players than Craig Bellamy/Chris Riggott/Seyi Olofinjana/Peter Whittingham/Jay Bothroyd/Kevin McNaughton/Mark Hudson/Steve McPhail/Chris Burke?

I don't understand how a man who has been out of the game for the best part of 4 years still has relevant contacts in what is an ever changing world.

Re: WHAT FOOTBALL CONTACTS DOES SAM HAMMAM HAVE??

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:38 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:This is an oft cited benefit of the proposed, and as yet non-existant return of Sam Hammam.

So could someone tell me what football contacts he has that would enable us to bring in better players than Craig Bellamy/Chris Riggott/Seyi Olofinjana/Peter Whittingham/Jay Bothroyd/Kevin McNaughton/Mark Hudson/Steve McPhail/Chris Burke?

I don't understand how a man who has been out of the game for the best part of 4 years still has relevant contacts in what is an ever changing world.

MONEY TALKS Dave and thats what brought most of those players to Cardiff City. Dave Jones can not be the team manager and run Our Club at the Same time, the pressure is getting to him, BADLY.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:46 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:This is an oft cited benefit of the proposed, and as yet non-existant return of Sam Hammam.

We were tracking McNaughton whilst under Hammam...

Must. Not. Use. Obvious. Mark. Hudson. Joke.

Let me turn the question back to you.

What makes you think Hammam has suddenly, mysteriously lost all contacts? Did Dave Jones lose his during his long stint on the sidelines?

And even if Hammam lost 90% of his contacts... he'd still have more than the Malaysians or Jenkins...

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:52 pm

nerd wrote:We were tracking McNaughton whilst under Hammam...
Fair enough if true, I didn't know that

Must. Not. Use. Obvious. Mark. Hudson. Joke.
Which is what? He's proven himself this season to be a competent central defender.

Let me turn the question back to you.
What makes you think Hammam has suddenly, mysteriously lost all contacts? Did Dave Jones lose his during his long stint on the sidelines?
I wouldn't say he's lost all of them but surely you can see that football is a changing business. How long was Jones out for?

And even if Hammam lost 90% of his contacts... he'd still have more than the Malaysians or Jenkins...
Evidently we've been doing fine with what we've got, so does that not render Hammam's input irrelevant?

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Midfield general wrote:Im sorry but if you think Hudson has proved himself to be a competent central defender then you are living on cloud 9!!!

What is your definition of competence at Championship level?

He's certainly the best of our defenders at the moment.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:43 pm

Midfield general wrote:
DaveSheffield wrote:
Midfield general wrote:Im sorry but if you think Hudson has proved himself to be a competent central defender then you are living on cloud 9!!!

What is your definition of competence at Championship level?

He's certainly the best of our defenders at the moment.

Hang on Dave, the word 'Championship' was never mentioned previously. He's the second best defender (McNaughton ahead of him) only because the defence is awful and needs sorted asap. We need at least 3 defenders in this transfer window in my opinion.

Well we're playing in the Championship... :roll:

And I disagree, I think McNaughton has been suspect on as many if not more occasions as Hudson this season.

He's been strong in the tackle and pretty much impregnable in the air.

He's just another scapegoat though. Perhaps you should look at a lack of solid cover from the full backs and the lack of a solid defensive partner before you question Hudson's performances this season, because they are more concerning.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:44 pm

Midfield general wrote:

Well Kenny Dalgish come back into the football world after being away for far longer

Yeah, and he did brilliantly on Sunday didn't he? :lol:

No, in fairness, I think I'm right in saying Dalglish had an "ambassadorial" role at Livershite, so he's never truly been away from the backroom goings-on, as it were, at that club. Indeed, the current board used him as a consultant before they brought in Hodgson, so he's been very close to the club.

Annis, if money talks, what's the point in bringing Hammam back? The Malaysians have more money than he, who I believe once admitted he couldn't take the club further because of a lack of personal finance, and he's already shown he cannot be trusted with money, both with Cardiff and with Wimbledon.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:51 pm

Midfield general wrote:Sorry but Hudson's pace has been a liability to the team since day one. Yes we may well be playing in the championship but I believe that if the club wants to get promoted then players like Hudson should be kicked out asap

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one I'm afraid. The only massive, glaring failure I've seen fromhimthis season was the Jacks game.

Is that perhaps why he's getting the stick that he is? Because some people are still a bit sore about losing that one?

Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:10 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:
Midfield general wrote:Sorry but Hudson's pace has been a liability to the team since day one. Yes we may well be playing in the championship but I believe that if the club wants to get promoted then players like Hudson should be kicked out asap

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one I'm afraid. The only massive, glaring failure I've seen fromhimthis season was the Jacks game.

Is that perhaps why he's getting the stick that he is? Because some people are still a bit sore about losing that one?

I agree - he has been pretty decent this season apart from one or two games. However, We still need to be setting out sights at a far more higher standard. The last few games for Hudson have been strong and well organised, and he was great against Leeds, but i alway s feel very uncomfortable when McNaughton isnt playing at the back! Problem is now that other teams have sussed our left back is weak and will make a beeline for obliterating the left hand side of our defence! we need cover there faster than we do in the middle!

Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Ok then signings under Hammam's chairmanship.

McNaughton, Roger Johnson, Chopra, Scimeca, Loovens, Purse, McPhail, Alexander, Kavanagh, Thorne, Gabbiadon, Koumas (first time), Jerome, McAnuff.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Merlin wrote: The last few games for Hudson have been strong and well organised, and he was great against Leeds, but i alway s feel very uncomfortable when McNaughton isnt playing at the back! Problem is now that other teams have sussed our left back is weak and will make a beeline for obliterating the left hand side of our defence! we need cover there faster than we do in the middle!

Indeed, and I thought the defence as a unit against Leeds coped admirably with having to help out Naylor who himself looked marginally more confident because of it. Let's not forget he was up against a highly talented player in snodgrass, and had no respite on Saturday, although I wasn't there and can't comment on the specifics, a 1 goal deficit against a team who boast the likes of Pennant, Etherington (better than Ledley), Jones etc is not bad at all.

Personally, I'd go for Matt Kilgallon, out of favour at Sunderland but was a pillar of strength at Sheff United. Boro are sniffing round him on loan with a view to a permanent. I think he'd be a superb partner to Hudson.

ANYWAY... Can we get this thread back on track please... Who will Hammam help bring in who is better than we currently have?? Alan Cork is at sheffield United, does that mean we stand a better chance of getting Darius Henderson on the cheap?!