Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Latest on James Vaughan

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks for the update Carl. I am not sure about players from lower league. Some turn out to be brilliant, i.e. Roger Johnson. And some turn out not so good, i.e. Solomon Taiwo. You pay your money and you take your choice.
I would like to see Vaughan signed as he is a good player and would be a good addition to the forward line. Soon the injuries and suspensions are going to mount up and we need good players to come into the side, not kids or the over the hill mob.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:54 pm

taffyapple wrote:
carlccfc wrote:The deal with Vaughan is at a crossroads as I have already stated on here before.

The deal City offered was £500k up front and £500k based on appearances.

Everton are happy with the £1million figure but they want it guaranteed, not based on if he makes so many appearances.

Everton want so much now and so much at a later agreed date.

So the deal is not dead but just needs fine tweaking from possibly both sides.

worries me this. he is probably only a couple more injuries away from wrecking
his career. On paper this looks a good deal for Everton. Why are they concerned
about Vaughan playing enough games??

good question that taff why they concerned about how many he will play. maybe they want there money faster ? maybe Vaughan will be a sub.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:55 pm

bluebirds23 wrote:
taffyapple wrote:
carlccfc wrote:The deal with Vaughan is at a crossroads as I have already stated on here before.

Everton are happy with the £1million figure but they want it guaranteed, not based on if he makes so many appearances.

good question that taff why they concerned about how many he will play. maybe they want there money faster ? maybe Vaughan will be a sub. but lets see what happens never straight forward with city lol

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Cheers Carl it was great to finally meet you, annis milly and a few more members from this mb in the ground at stoke :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:32 pm

DinasBluebird wrote:
carlccfc wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:any news on other possible transfers?
:ayatollah:

There are two players from a lower league club that we are looking at, which will be in tomorrow's update.

Anthony Pilkington of Huddersfield please ;)

Good shout, worth a punt

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:44 pm

Hope I'm wrong but with this Vaughan deal you can just see one of our rivals nipping in ahead of us with the cash up front that Everton are looking for. If we want the guy why don't we just give them what they are asking for FFS? What does it look like to Vaughan himself with all this procrastinating? Was given the impression that this was a done deal yonks ago.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:45 pm

moonboots wrote:Hope I'm wrong but with this Vaughan deal you can just see one of our rivals nipping in ahead of us with the cash up front that Everton are looking for. If we want the guy why don't we just give them what they are asking for FFS? What does it look like to Vaughan himself with all this procrastinating? Was given the impression that this was a done deal yonks ago.

Better players than him around for less than 1 million.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:49 pm

dorsetblue wrote:
moonboots wrote:Hope I'm wrong but with this Vaughan deal you can just see one of our rivals nipping in ahead of us with the cash up front that Everton are looking for. If we want the guy why don't we just give them what they are asking for FFS? What does it look like to Vaughan himself with all this procrastinating? Was given the impression that this was a done deal yonks ago.

Names? And are we in for them??

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:53 pm

moonboots wrote:
dorsetblue wrote:

Names? And are we in for them??

I have absolutely no idea mate - Why don't you wait to see what Uncle Carl says tomorrow but I know we are interested in Austin and also Hammill is available for 500k - so thats two for the price of 1. Vaughan has done nothing to warrant a million pound price tag.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:03 pm

that kid who is lighting quick for bournemouth can't remeber him name, bartley?

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Woody CCFC wrote:that kid who is lighting quick for bournemouth can't remeber him name, bartley?

Marvin Bartley mate - not a good footballer at all - fringe player for Bournemouth - fast ? yes but usually cannot control the ball - he's like a modern day Steve Mardenborough. Posted earlier though that the Cherries Centre half and captain Pearce is a great player, very much in the RJ mould.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Two players from the lower leagues Defenders??

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:43 pm

taffyapple wrote:

Everton are seriously skint - they need the money! And they need it now!

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:43 pm

Interesting that Carl says , "There are two players from a lower league club that we are looking at, which will be in tomorrow's update." which would suggest two players from the same club from a lower league.
Curiouser and curiouser said Alice
:ayatollah: :D :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 pm

Hope its carlie austin and Bradley Wright Philips

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Is it possible we could sign a player who is not injury prone ... not much to ask DJ

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 pm

NJ73 wrote:Why are you even trying to sign him?

It's not as if you need another striker :?

mind your business

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:11 pm

Austin will go elsewhere.

Bradley WP has found his level, it won't be him either.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 pm

it'll be interesting to see who these players are from lower leagues. can't imagine it being charlie austin or Bradley WP :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 am

If the reports are true and that Bothroyd is staying until the end of the season then where is Vaughan going to fit in?

Will Keogh's loan be cancelled?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:00 am

It's a squad situation! :roll:

The bigger the squad the more options, and more incentives for squad players to play well to keep their place.

The lack of options has held us up for past few seasons.

Kepgh is a useful squad player.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:10 am

Dorset Blue

Hammill is a winger ...so different position to Vaughan (but I would like us to sign him..a snip at £500k) and Swindon will want much more tha £1m for Charlie Austin so that's no strikers for the price of Vaughan let alone two!! Just thought that when you said that there are better players around for less than what we have bid for Vaughan you had some strikers in mind. Not trying to catch you out but just interested in who else may be around. Personally I think that £1m for a good striker is peanuts these days and I'd happily pay it for him ...not out of my own money of course!!

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 am

Defence is a must and we seemed to be linked mostly with attacking players. The Daily Mail have linked us with Dekel Keinan from Blackpool a CB and said Cardiff representatives were at the game between Southampton and Blackpool. Could we have been looking at Southampton players as well? Jose Fonte, decent CB and Schneiderlin/Lallana.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:52 am

Lallana is top quality, but where would he fit into our side? I heard we we after Schneiderlin before, so perhaps we may be renweing that area of enquiry...

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:03 pm

[quote="asjaber"]Cheers Carl, looks like it might be close :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/
yep :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:05 pm

Lee Frecklington and Craig Mackail-Smith (both Peterborough)

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:29 pm

Lee who?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:06 pm

moonboots wrote:Dorset Blue

Hammill is a winger ...so different position to Vaughan (but I would like us to sign him..a snip at £500k) and Swindon will want much more tha £1m for Charlie Austin so that's no strikers for the price of Vaughan let alone two!! Just thought that when you said that there are better players around for less than what we have bid for Vaughan you had some strikers in mind. Not trying to catch you out but just interested in who else may be around. Personally I think that £1m for a good striker is peanuts these days and I'd happily pay it for him ...not out of my own money of course!!

Moonboots, I was merely pointing out the fact that there are players out there that are better than Vaughan for less than a million quid. Unless Jay leaves we don't need another strike - Jay, Chops, Parkin and Keogh should be sufficient to see us through to seasons end. Hammill though would significantly strengthen the right side of our midfield where in my opinion Burke has been really poor this season.

Not sure anybody knows how much Swindon will want for Austin but he has significantly stayed fit and scored goals for 3 seasons if you count his prolific 46 in 46 for Poole. I'm not sure he will cost much more than 1 million. He is playing for a mid table league one side so they can't command stupid fees.

Strikers are out there coming to the end of their contracts like Jay - If we are looking for 2 million for Jay there is no way Austin is worth 2 million. Use an example, Scott Sinclair signed for 500k - similar track record to Vaughan but with a significant amount of more games both in the Prem and Championship under his belt. If he was bought for 500k, the in my opinion, Vaughan is not worth any more. Parkin cost 100k, again with a much better scoring ration than Vaughan. I'd wager a bet that if we sign Vaughan, Parkin will score more goals per appearance for us than him.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:50 pm

come on dj pull ya finger out and sign him up and lets move on to the defense :ayatollah: