Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHY DOES WHITTINGHAM PLAY CM?

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:19 pm

what does he offer?

ye he can pick a pass...
but he could do that from left mid where he scored 25+ goals!

why change it? there is no need.

he is far to lightweight, he can't tackle, he goes missing far to often and in CM there is no where to hide.

Re: WHY DOES WHITTINGHAM PLAY CM?

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:22 pm

why does whits get the blame all the time I feel for this player and im shocked he didnt go as he is clearly a great player and without him last year would not have got near the play offs.

But he gets a slagging off from our supporters is shocking Im stunned he is used in all different possitions and he does what he can that is around him he can score goals sets loads of goals too but somehow gets slagged off.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:22 pm

In CM he shouldn't be the one making the tackles too often, that's where Olofinjana let us down today. But for most of the game he was out at RM and he was shocking. Note to DJ: don't play Whittingham on the right. Hopefully that's a lesson learnt and he'll stick to him playing on the left where he is definitely best.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:25 pm

valleyrambill wrote:why does whits get the blame all the time I feel for this player and im shocked he didnt go as he is clearly a great player and without him last year would not have got near the play offs.

But he gets a slagging off from our supporters is shocking Im stunned he is used in all different possitions and he does what he can that is around him he can score goals sets loads of goals too but somehow gets slagged off.

yes excatley, left mid.

not cm, he's not a one and never will be one.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:30 pm

One answer to you could be the ball he played to Chopra for the winner against Leeds.

But Whitts at home is a different animal from Whitts away. Too often away from home Whitts is a luxury player who doesn't get the time on the ball he needs and therefore he is rarely as effective when playing away. He's never going to go flying into tackles and the defensive side of his game is poor and for that reason I think he's much less effective away from home.

In away games where we have our backs against the wall ( which seems to be EVERY away game now) I would not play Whitts but would probably play Drinkwater instead.

Oli has lost it it seems and to have Whittigham and Mcphail in the midfield when playing away is asking for trouble.