Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Decent point, but theres a major factor...

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:35 pm

...being overlooked, which I believe is the lack of consistency in regard to team selection. If you look at the clubs who occupy the positions within the top 6 and around us you could almost call their weekly teamsheet man for man.

If you try and attempt doing the same for us, its a lot more challenging because DJ rarely (if ever) selects the same combinations and concept of play. We're in January and the perception I have of our approach to the games is that DJ is still nowhere near knowing what his best team, formation etc is.

This is reflected in the countless changes he makes week in week out, with the majority of decisions unhinged from injuries or suspensions. Kev Mac has played everywere across the backline, Darcy has played everywhere across the backline and in centre midfield, Whitts has played everywhere across midfield, Bellers has been on both wings and played upfront...the lists goes on on and on - I'd love to say this is testament to the flexibility of our players, and to an extent it is. However I believe the motive for these decisions lays with DJs deep rooted confusion as to how he wants to shape and navigate his team

This creates a lack of cohesion in our general play, passing, and the relationships of players within each position on the pitch i.e. centre midfield, upfront...etc etc. Consequently, we see stop start affairs (which is what we've become accustomed to in the last few months) and by the time we hit 70-75 mins the absence of flow to our game almost certainly results in us having to retreat and spend the final quarter of the match with our backs to the wall.

Considering the aforementioned you could draw the conclusion that we are living on our 'star' names alone, and merely trundling on as a team of individuals devoid of any direction - we get away with it at home, but not so much away. This could be a huge factor in the Malaysians stance on funds for this month, they may have identified this and adopted a more conservative stance? Not fully trustworthy of DJs competency hus far, but not unhappy enough to sack him??? Seems strange to doubt DJs efforts in the transfer market because he's absolutely brilliant in getting the players in - but thats where the magic stops for me.

Nevertheless we didn't get beat today against a very good team at this level. I just hope DJ proves me wrong :ayatollah: