Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " Your first ever CITY game?? "

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:37 am

Rotherham United, I reckon 1969-70 season. 2-2 draw having been 2-0 down. I know Toshack scored the equalizer. I got a vague memory it was Leighton Phillips debut but I might be completely wrong about that.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:38 am

Crewe (H) 3-0 Thorne 2 and Earnie

Bob Bank Sitting

Cant remember the year, but it was our first season in the Championship, (Last at Division One)
2003/04 possibly season?

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:43 am

Sad b*stard as I am I just checked it out. It was Rotherham 67-68 season. It was indeed Leighton Phillips debut. He came on as sub and scored with his first touch. Rotherham were actually relegated that season.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:09 am

Bedwas Bluebird wrote:QPR Home (1969/70 Season). I'd settle for the same score this year as we won 4-2 that day

Same as me Bedwas - seems a mighty long time ago now and boy have there been some emotional times in between :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:24 am

we lost 2-1 to peterborough in Div 2. 1994 i think.

Re: Your first ever city game??

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:43 am

placid-casual wrote:v Arsenal 1974 Fred Keenor Cup. Night Game :ayatollah:

That sounds an interesting match, can you remember any details about that night :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:45 am

Wycombe Wanderers. Not sure what year, maybe 2000 or 01,02. feck knows

Re: Your first ever city game??

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:04 pm

welshie wrote:V Spurs in a pre-season match back in either 91 or 92 can't remeber, think it was 91.

Was this actually an end of season 'testimonial' for someone??

If so, I haven't done a 'pre-season' game since. Spurs promised to bring their big guns (Gazza, Lineker, etc) and the best they could muster was Paul Stewart (who, in fairness, gave it a go)

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:19 pm

the infamous leeds F.A cup game 2002

age 13, the old lady wouldnt let me go until i was older cos the 'aggro'
great game, got hooked straight away
if only games were like this these days :ayatollah:

my good friend liam got me a ticket, bob bank block F
hes banned now unfortunately and hasnt seen the new ground :(

roll on.. i wonder what my last game ever will be, fast forward 60 years, im gona have a random punt at Barry Town, all welsh champions league final, at the nou camp
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:36 pm

City v Villa, April 1960.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:04 pm

lincoln blue wrote:City v Villa, April 1960.

Was that the one with Graham Moore's winner sending us to the old First Division in front of 55,000?

My first game was @1971. I am embarassed to say I cannot recall who it was against; might have been Palace or Carlisle but it was 1-1. I think Bobby Woodruff scored. I was sent down to the bottom of the bob bank and stood on some bricks.

My first away game though I can recall - away at Hereford when Robin Friday got sent off and Peter Sayer got 2 to earn us a 2-2 draw.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Behind the grange-end goal.Cardiff City1 Wolves9(nine).I think it was 1953.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:52 pm

mine was in about 1971 72 we played west ham in the league cup my father took me down because at that time i loved everything about the hammers even my bedroom was decked out in their colours and west ham won 2-1 but a few years later i went down the city with my mates and never looked back,now i hate west ham as much as the jacks i got my reasons for that ever since i went to upton park in the late seventies horrible bunch of pricks

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:08 pm

Danny Says wrote:
lincoln blue wrote:City v Villa, April 1960.

Was that the one with Graham Moore's winner sending us to the old First Division in front of 55,000?

My first game was @1971. I am embarassed to say I cannot recall who it was against; might have been Palace or Carlisle but it was 1-1. I think Bobby Woodruff scored. I was sent down to the bottom of the bob bank and stood on some bricks.

My first away game though I can recall - away at Hereford when Robin Friday got sent off and Peter Sayer got 2 to earn us a 2-2 draw.

Yes that was the game, what a way to start. I didn't want to be there, a classmate bullied me into going and at the end of the game everyone was going on about "promotion" and I had to ask what that meant cos I didn't have a clue. Happy days.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:22 pm

1969-70 Sheffield Utd at Home. I'm sure it was a 3-0 win. :)

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:01 pm

1989 Welsh cup 5th round
I was 16, In the away end with 60 Aberystwyth fans. Pringle jumper, Joe Bloggs jeans, Kappa jacket.
Lost two nil. Our mini bus was stoned in the car park...
I was hooked!!! :lol: :lol:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:07 pm

i have only been to 3,F.A cup semi final,F.A cup final and play-off final :D :D :D

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:22 pm

City V Shrewsbury 1993 with a mate and his mums boyfriend. We have been going down ever since

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:32 pm

not sure if it was my first game but earliest memory is Sunderland in 1975 which I think ended 1_1, remember gary bell playing for city and being squeezed into barriers when we scored, must have been 35000 there!
also recall always nicking in over the railway line where the bigger kids propped up railway sleepers against the Grangeend. We had to climbup them which was feckin frightening, and then big lads used to lift us up and over into the stands with our legs dangling over the parapet !! Happy Days :D :old: :D

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 pm

Not sure if anyone can help me out because I cant remember the opposition or the score? It was the game that got us promoted from the 4th division in the 1987-1988 season but I'm not sure if it was actually the last game of the season. I think we won 2-0 or 2-1 and I'm sure Kevin Bartlett scored. I was standing on the Bob Bank and there was a pitch invasion at the end of the game.

My older brother took me along as a 12 year old and I was hooked on the City forever. :ayatollah: My brother however never went to another game!

My first football match was a couple of years earlier when I went with my dad to the Wales v Scotland game in 1985 when Jock Stein died. I was standing on a bucket in (what became) the family stand at Ninian Park. I remember it was packed with p1ssed Jocks in our area even though it was supposed to be a home family area.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:02 pm

My old man took me in 1958, but I can't remember which game it was, he took me the following season to the Aston Villa game at Ninian and we got promotion to the 1st. Division that season, he also took me to see Arsenal play City the following season, but I was only eight in 1958 and it is a blur, but I do remember Derek Tapscot playing. :old: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:14 pm

Cardiff City vs York City

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:14 am

first home cardiff v gillingham 82
first away wokingham v cardiff 82/83
most memorable home result LEEDS :D
most memorable away result middlesborough FA cup run
most memorable incident away, hard to decide on but,
there was one in swansea, midweek game all hell broke loose when a whistle went off in their end and the place rained golfballs.
or portsmouth the day the clock went down :ayatollah:
saying that mind wokingham was a day out too, shopping ;) in reading first, then hunted down by chelski was my first and only arrest that day,(its not big or cleaver kids) lol

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:16 am

Cardiff 1 - 1 Crystal Palace in 1973 or 74 ??? We stayed up and they went down :old: :ayatollah: :old:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:17 am

The Premier 1 wrote:first home cardiff v gillingham 82
first away wokingham v cardiff 82/83
most memorable home result LEEDS :D
most memorable away result middlesborough FA cup run
most memorable incident away, hard to decide on but,
there was one in swansea, midweek game all hell broke loose when a whistle went off in their end and the place rained golfballs.
or portsmouth the day the clock went down :ayatollah:
saying that mind wokingham was a day out too, shopping ;) in reading first, then hunted down by chelski was my first and only arrest that day,(its not big or cleaver kids) lol

82/83 the year we left behind division 3 (old) finishing second to pompy, the jeff hemmermann season :ayatollah:

on that note i want say cheers to the lads who took me to that first city match, have to be out there somewhere,
(franco, paddy britten, mike, sweetman, dexy, goon & salty) cheers guys :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:48 am

I was 6, a neighbor of mine took me to Jason Perry's testamonial City vs Spurs at Ninian Park

1996!

:ayatollah:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Bondi Bluebird wrote:Not sure if anyone can help me out because I cant remember the opposition or the score? It was the game that got us promoted from the 4th division in the 1987-1988 season but I'm not sure if it was actually the last game of the season. I think we won 2-0 or 2-1 and I'm sure Kevin Bartlett scored. I was standing on the Bob Bank and there was a pitch invasion at the end of the game.

My older brother took me along as a 12 year old and I was hooked on the City forever. :ayatollah: My brother however never went to another game!

My first football match was a couple of years earlier when I went with my dad to the Wales v Scotland game in 1985 when Jock Stein died. I was standing on a bucket in (what became) the family stand at Ninian Park. I remember it was packed with p1ssed Jocks in our area even though it was supposed to be a home family area.

That might have been Leyton Orient - there was a big pitch invasion as it was promotion for us with a win. Not sure if it was the last game of the season or last home game, but it was mental :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Boxing day 1999 against Reading, my brother took me then in the uncovered Grange end where it pissed down with rain and hailstones (my brother and his mates were challenging each other who could catch the most hail stones in a cup :lol: ) Kevin Nugent scored the winner 1-0, I was more a part time supporter due to lack of money being in school or work shifts when I left school it 2004/05 I started going properly when my shifts changed and being devastated when we almost went bust but I never gave up never :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:18 pm

birmingham at ninian with my uncle who is a birmingham nut. he travels over from geneva for every single birminghan city game home and away without fail. im going to go with 92/93 somewhere around that time and we lost 1-0.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:39 pm

milly44 wrote:birmingham at ninian with my uncle who is a birmingham nut. he travels over from geneva for every single birminghan city game home and away without fail. im going to go with 92/93 somewhere around that time and we lost 1-0.

Probably the 10 April 1990, 0-1 game. crowd 3322. Relegated to the dungeon for two seasons.
Saying that, we next played them at home on Dec 28, 1994, lost 0-1 again, crowd 7420, & were relegated again!