Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE PLAYER LEAVING TO HEAD NORTH IS......( re. carls update)

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:13 am

the player leaving cardiff city to head north is ADAM MATTHEWS.

Cardiff city have accepted a £500,000 offer from celtic.

there are one of two clauses trying to be sorted, but the deal is as good as done.

Re: THE PLAYER LEAVING IS......( RE. CARL'S UPDATE)

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:15 am

I think that is a waste of talent really. He is the future. Another good young player sold. I hope there is a deal to bring a defender from Celtic. I suppose if he did not want to sign a contract then 500k is ok, but surely if we had developed him he would have been worth a lot more :roll:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:16 am

Reading on of Annis other posts - your right, it has to be Matthews.

Re: THE PLAYER LEAVING TO HEAD NORTH IS......( re. carls update)

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:17 am

Who is coming the other way?

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:17 am

Forestbluebirds wrote:I think that is a waste of talent really. He is the future. Another good young player sold. I hope there is a deal to bring a defender from Celtic. I suppose if he did not want to sign a contract then 500k is ok, but surely if we had developed him he would have been worth a lot more :roll:

when you think of the money branded about for him 18 months ago, 2/3/5 millions. 500k isnt alot.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 am

neeball wrote:Who is coming the other way?

no one at present. that is one of the points to be finalised today.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:21 am

who does Jones want from them then because i thought Loovens doesn't want to come back

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:28 am

Yes, there was talk of ther top clubs wanting him for £3m etc. Another jewel in our chest lost???

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:28 am

Forestbluebirds wrote: I think that is a waste of talent really. He is the future. Another good young player sold. I hope there is a deal to bring a defender from Celtic. I suppose if he did not want to sign a contract then 500k is ok, but surely if we had developed him he would have been worth a lot more :roll:

Good point Forest and aptly I was thinking the same when watching Chris Gunter play for Nottingham Forest against Derby County on the weekend, where he totally marked Kris Commons out of the game to such an extent that one of the best players in the Championship was subsituted for being inaffective.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:30 am

Jones needs to put personal issues aside when dealing in football. Just because they had a fallout means that one of our potentially 'prize' assets is leaving for pennies compared to what he could be worth giving experience. :evil:

I do however hope that the SPL isn't the wrong move for Matthews, as he should be in the EPL. Would be a shame to see such talent go to waste :evil:

Good Luck in your journey Adam :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:32 am

now that's what i call a update,don't care about the future lets just get to the prem now :old: looks like we have to lock up our wives :lol:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:33 am

I'll be well pissed off if thats the case, why the hell would we want someone not deemed good enough to play in their team in the 'Mickey Mouse' league.

:twisted:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:35 am

Midfield general wrote:To be honest I think he needs to move to save his career

yea i think he does to

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:38 am

themadhatter wrote:Jones needs to put personal issues aside when dealing in football. Just because they had a fallout means that one of our potentially 'prize' assets is leaving for pennies compared to what he could be worth giving experience. :evil:

I do however hope that the SPL isn't the wrong move for Matthews, as he should be in the EPL. Would be a shame to see such talent go to waste :evil:

Good Luck in your journey Adam :ayatollah:

Actually I agree with the sentiment of your post and I have never bought into Jones' claim that players have only ever left for footballing reasons rather than personal.

However, Adam is out of contract in July and I would imagine we would struggle to gain £500,000 at a tribunal. So on this occasion I suppose its a case of biting the bullet, although why Adam has refused to sign a new contract is obviously up for speculation.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:38 am

Good move for Matthews can get his career back on track, probably not a good move for us but looks like we are all about the hear and now and not looking to the future. Can't have everything I suppose

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:48 am

Dave jones wants a player to come the other way as part of the deal,but the player isnt keen to come and play for us. if that is the case the deal will still go through but the financial clauses put on the deal will become of a higher to benefit us. :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:48 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:although why Adam has refused to sign a new contract is obviously up for speculation.

Jones refusing to pick him might be one issue... he needs to learn a lot defensively, sure, but Super Kev, Quinn, Blake all ahead of him for the RB spot. Even if he did play right wing, JET, Burke even Whittingham ahead of him.

We've not loaned him out for games, no reserve team... I'd say he wants football. If we're not giving it to him, he'd not want to stay.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:55 am

He is going to do great up there.

Atleast we didnt sell a first choice player. It's still a shame though.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:00 am

milly44 wrote:Dave jones wants a player to come the other way as part of the deal,but the player isnt keen to come and play for us. if that is the case the deal will still go through but the financial clauses put on the deal will become of a higher to benefit us. :ayatollah:

i guessing you mean loovens lol :lol: well if that case i rather not have him has i want players who want to play for us and with more money for Matthews every little helps :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:01 am

to be honest if this is true I will be furious!!! When Matthews came on the scene he looked a fantastic player, and has so much potential but the way his progress has been halted has been scandalous!!! Why hasnt he gone out on loan if he wasnt going to play? He is only a kid and a few months on loan so that he could play regularly and get his confidence back could have got him firing again, just like it did for Blake last season! Whats the point of our academy producing players if they play just a handful of games for us??

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 am

Its funny how dj openly pointed the finger at matthews with all the blame in one game in an interview and hes not started a game since this was months ago yet we got people like naylor who has 1 half decent game and 5 bad ones where he gets EG/subbed at half time but nothing is said i really dont get dj sometimes but still the young lad obviously dont get on with him but who would after that slating on TV for one mistake. :ayatollah: eitherway something is better than nothing due to his contract being run down which dont give us many options.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:12 am

500k for ADAM MATTHEWS? ARE YOU f*cking KIDDING ME?!

WHAT A f*cking WASTE OF TALENT!

Jones sort your self out for fucks sake :evil: :evil:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:13 am

If it is Matthews then im not surprised, when DJ openly criticize's a player then his cards are marked, but why does DJ dislike him so much?

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:14 am

Ledley went for Nowt and now Matthews for £500,000 :evil: what is the point in the club spending all that time and money nurturing such talent to benefit other clubs without any financial reward for us. Fecking disgraceful :evil:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:18 am

bluebirds23 wrote:
Midfield general wrote:To be honest I think he needs to move to save his career

yea i think he does to

Me too - its a long time since I've had confidence in his defending. On recent form 500k looks a bit generous. Not been the same player since Routledge destroyed him at Newcastle last year. A decent sell on clause on case he becomes the next Gareth Bale is also needed.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:20 am

I can understand that he needs to move on, but not to Celtic. The Scottish league RUINS players from this league. Look at Ledley.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:21 am

Dafydd wrote:I can understand that he needs to move on, but not to Celtic. The Scottish league RUINS players from this league. Look at Ledley.

he have nice fat contract up there to

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:23 am

Midfield general wrote:Isnt his contract coming to a end soon..?

yea end of the season i think anyway

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 am

would't mind Andreas Hinkel or Thomas Rogne coming the other way and 500k for matthews. Obviously would rather keep matthews but if the kid no longer wants to be here then move on. i hope we bring in one of the above as defensive cover
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 am

shame, I think Matthews should have been a kept for one for the future, has all the right attributes to become a great player for City.