Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Im Sorry....Adam Matthews is not all that...

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Contraversial opinion i am about to put out but here we go.

Im not sure if anyone agrees with me but i really dont think matthews will turn into much more than a good championship/SPL player. unless im missing something but he hasnt put in many great performances of late(limted chances i know) but if he is not dislodging a depelted and struggling back for where the likes of quinn and naylor get the nod over him is he really all that.

he has never been consistant when he had the chances and recently he is diabolical costing a goal per performance. the only reason the hyp on him is because he is young coming through the same ranks as ramsey and ledley, other clubs tipping him to become just as good but im sorry, DJ hasnt played him for 2 years and i think it has cost him his carear and chance to be at a higher level.

if i were matthews id get out while he could and try and rescue himself. if i was cardiff id sell him while we get money for him. A player is onlky worth how much teams will currently offer for him and as far as were all aware the interest is almost dead in him and i can see why.

the only thing im disappointed about is when the interest was large we didnt cash in....

ok abuse me away guys :D

Re: Im Sorry....Adam Matthews is not all that...

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:04 pm

I agree. He might go on and prove Cardiff wrong but he was never going to make it here. I think we are doing the right thing in getting some money for him now if he is to go.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:06 pm

jezzy666 wrote:Contraversial opinion i am about to put out but here we go.

Im not sure if anyone agrees with me but i really dont think matthews will turn into much more than a good championship/SPL player. unless im missing something but he hasnt put in many great performances of late(limted chances i know) but if he is not dislodging a depelted and struggling back for where the likes of quinn and naylor get the nod over him is he really all that.

he has never been consistant when he had the chances and recently he is diabolical costing a goal per performance. the only reason the hyp on him is because he is young coming through the same ranks as ramsey and ledley, other clubs tipping him to become just as good but im sorry, DJ hasnt played him for 2 years and i think it has cost him his carear and chance to be at a higher level.

if i were matthews id get out while he could and try and rescue himself. if i was cardiff id sell him while we get money for him. A player is onlky worth how much teams will currently offer for him and as far as were all aware the interest is almost dead in him and i can see why.

the only thing im disappointed about is when the interest was large we didnt cash in....

i am with you on this one matey so it mite be just few of us but lets the debate begin haha :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Hope DJ has sell on clause built in otherwise he might regret it :o :o

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:09 pm

I can see where your coming from but i think he is more of a rm and should be used as cover! I reckon he is star of the future, last year when teams such as united were after him! He might not be playing well but he is a youngster still and think of players who have improved with trust from the manager one big example is charlie adam before he was at blackpool he was having a nightmare but holloway trusted him and now look liverpool want him! I think this is the wrong decision but dj, he should be getting rid of players like rae and NAYLOR, who i think is shocking! At the least dj should of put AM on loan

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Ryan_bluebird wrote:I can see where your coming from but i think he is more of a rm and should be used as cover! I reckon he is star of the future, last year when teams such as united were after him! He might not be playing well but he is a youngster still and think of players who have improved with trust from the manager one big example is charlie adam before he was at blackpool he was having a nightmare but holloway trusted him and now look liverpool want him! I think this is the wrong decision but dj, he should be getting rid of players like rae and NAYLOR, who i think is shocking! At the least dj should of put AM on loan

well this pos is getting alot off agreements :)

yeah i think your right, im not saying he wont make it i suppose but i think he stands little to no chance making it here.

i think its in both parties best interest he leaves. if we can get him in exchange then great too, if not, nice juicey sell on clause please :D

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:23 pm

ridofrid wrote:Hope DJ has sell on clause built in otherwise he might regret it :o :o

i don't get regrets not wiping his arse after a shit half the time matey :lol:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Ryan_bluebird wrote:I can see where your coming from but i think he is more of a rm and should be used as cover! I reckon he is star of the future, last year when teams such as united were after him! He might not be playing well but he is a youngster still and think of players who have improved with trust from the manager one big example is charlie adam before he was at blackpool he was having a nightmare but holloway trusted him and now look liverpool want him! I think this is the wrong decision but dj, he should be getting rid of players like rae and NAYLOR, who i think is shocking! At the least dj should of put AM on loan

Im sorry thats bollox, if man utd were after him they would have him by now....they watched him and decided hes not good enough hence hes not there and no other big clubs are banging our door down for him

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:26 pm

IsThatUJohnWayne wrote:

Im sorry thats bollox, if man utd were after him they would have him by now....they watched him and decided hes not good enough hence hes not there and no other big clubs are banging our door down for him

yeah i also agree, in not as strongly worded as that :p, but he is right, if he was any good he would be snapped up right now, bale walcott and ramsey were all signed very quickly after being discovered. matthews has been on the rader for nearly 2 years ,,,,

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:28 pm

I really do rate him and a career has got to start somewhere and obviously dj doesnt think so. It confuses me how he seems to trust naylor when most of our loses especially away have been because of him. Are any left backs being linked because im worried for rest of season if bad defending might just cost us. hopefully there is something in AM deal other wise im fuming by it :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:31 pm

So just because manu pulled out that means he aint that good?! man u are like the best club in the country andone of the best in the world, and he must have something good about him if ferguson actauly watched him

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:41 pm

Fergie and all prem clubs watch lots of players, they obviously thought hes not good enough, they cant all be wrong....look at rambo he had a choice of man u and arsenal after just a few games with us

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:00 pm

jezzy666 wrote:Contraversial opinion i am about to put out but here we go.

if he was as good as its made out arsenal or man united etc would have bought him long ago he doest need to be playing much for them to spot potential.
i think this few million story was ridsdale trying to make out to debtors that he would soon have cash to pay them. buying time thats all..

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:19 pm

I think you can put that down to Dave Jones's legendary man management skills.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:22 pm

why do people always say "sorry" before voicing they're opinions. :roll:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:22 pm

He is all that when we seem to be doing this just to get Loovens

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 pm

I think he has been badly treated by Jones yes he has had bad games but so as all our defence but Mathews was singled out and that was wrong when you had Naylor Gypes & hudson at the time playing poor.

Mathews has one big thing above the others he is young and still learning he had a great future but I blame JOnes on this one as Mathews should have been used not giving away if the rumours are true

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:16 pm

Assuming it his him who is off, there has to be a sell on clause. Matthews is fairly overrated in my opinion and showed some good gpotential when he broke in to the first team.
However, over the years we as a club have had plenty of fresh faced youngsters who have failed to deliver, thinking of Damon Searle / Lee Jarman / Gareth Abraham / Stuart Fleetwood to name but 4. They were all overplayed and failed to deliver.
Just on the off chance that Matthews does turn in to the next Gareth Bale it is vital that we put the insurance premium of a sell on in to his fee. 500K is worth a gamble to a club like Celtic or Everton but if he does become the player we all though then a 5-10 million fee moving to a bigger club like Man City / Arsenal / Man U is not beyond the realms of possibility.
5 million with a 25% sell on for us suddenly makes it good business to get rid if we could land 1.75 million ultimately down the line.
I'm not sure he will ever progress in to a great footballer though.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 pm

Remember, everything we do at the moment is geared toward promotion. Not what the team might look like in three years time.

Someone had to go, with all that Jones has brought in we need to pay for at least a part of it.

Matthews was the best bet. being that noone will pay for Gavin Rae. :lol:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:08 am

i agree dj should have played him BUT if dj did not play another player and he came on and done the same as mathews im 100% sure he would get stick... why should it be different because he is welsh