Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Could Chopra play for Wales

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Would chops be eligible to play for Wales on the residency rule as he has not had a senior cap for any country?

Do you think that he would be worth considering by Gary Speed?

Re: Could Chopra play for Wales

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:59 pm

You do understand none of the home nations use the residency rule, right?

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:02 pm

nerd wrote:You do understand none of the home nations use the residency rule, right?

Wasnt england gonna call up arteta though :? :?

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:08 pm

nerd wrote:You do understand none of the home nations use the residency rule, right?

What was the situation then when England were going to call up Almunia too, this was based on the residency rule.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Pinster25 wrote:

Wasnt england gonna call up arteta though :? :?

No, that was media speculation.

None of the home nations use the residency rule for the simple reason that long term, England would get a massive player pool, everyone else cock all... Speed wouldn't be so dumb as to try for Chopra ( Indian till he didn't get the cash, remember ) because long term Wales would get fucked over...

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Well if it is a rule , why cant Wales use it ? Im sure if it was the english that have the same kind of problem ,they would use it.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:14 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:Well if it is a rule , why cant Wales use it ? Im sure if it was the english that have the same kind of problem ,they would use it.

Sigh...

Ok, you want to effectively restrict Wales' player pool to Cardiff, Swansea players, non-league Welsh club players; with those diehard Welshies at other clubs who would only want to play for their nation ( ie a minimal amount ) added.

Spot the obvious problem?

The rule exists and can be used; all home nations have agreed not to.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:14 pm

What about Matthew Le Tissier and Graeme Le Saux who were from the Channel Islands?

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:20 pm

When was this agreement made?

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:25 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:What about Matthew Le Tissier and Graeme Le Saux who were from the Channel Islands?

Considered fair game.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:26 pm

wdb2721 wrote:

When was this agreement made?

The agreement was made when the FIFA change re residency came in; been in place for quite a while.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Michael owen could of played for wales but chose england.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Ok well didnt know they had all said they wouldnt use it.
As for M O NO he couldnt have play for Wales, He has said that himself when they ask him about it.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:45 pm

Didnt england grab Zola Budd when she wanted to run for england , but she was south African ?
O wait ,I see that cos england is ok for loads of player, it would be great for them would it not ? if that rule stays as it is cos then they still have more choice than say Wales or scotland Ireland ? and then they will aways be number one ! O,Right I got it now.mmmmmmmm

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:01 pm

wdb2721 wrote:Would chops be eligible to play for Wales on the residency rule as he has not had a senior cap for any country?

Do you think that he would be worth considering by Gary Speed?

No, he's injury prone enough now.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 pm

I looked at the rules once and I saw it as yes he could play on residency. However, I asked Jason Turner at the time and he said no he couldn't. That was a good enough answer for me, if Jason says he couldn't then trust me, he couldn't.

I did ask loads of players though over lunch if they would play for Wales, if they could, and Chopra said he would definitely.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:49 pm

I am not so sure about the pro's and con's of this rule. Sure England would have some advantage but at any time they can only have 11 players on the pitch. So, as a player, would you choose to play for maybe 2 or 3 games for England or would you prefer to have a long International career with one of the other Home Countries

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Not using the residency rule only suits England.

Wales would not lose players on residency to England. Welsh internationals of that standard are few and far between and will often get caped at an early age for Wales in any case.

Wales are missing out on players like Chopra, Roger Johnson, Jerome, Whittingham, to name just a few. The Jacks could probably add a few too like Pratley. Players who may never get in the England side, but would fly in the Welsh squad.

Whether or not you want players playing for Wales under residency is a different matter.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Magners wrote:Not using the residency rule only suits England.

Wales would not lose players on residency to England. Welsh internationals of that standard are few and far between and will often get caped at an early age for Wales in any case.

Wales are missing out on players like Chopra, Roger Johnson, Jerome, Whittingham, to name just a few. The Jacks could probably add a few too like Pratley. Players who may never get in the England side, but would fly in the Welsh squad.

Whether or not you want players playing for Wales under residency is a different matter.

Only missing out on those if they wanted to play for Wales.

On the flip side, Bellamy, Giggs, Bale and in 3 years time Ramsey would potentially all be playing for the Saes.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:19 pm

nerd wrote:

On the flip side, Bellamy, Giggs, Bale and in 3 years time Ramsey would potentially all be playing for the Saes.

Would we have missed out on these 4. Wales would have capped these 4 before they were 18, way before they were good enough for England. Once your capped thats it you can't change.

The big difference is, these 4 boys are Welsh and are good enough to play international football for their country. On the flip side the other players I mentioned are English but are not good enough to play for their country. So do they miss out on International football or play for another country they have a connection with. The connection being they lived there for 4 years.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:27 pm

im sure rob earnshaw is south african but he can play for wales because he was at cardiff for 5 years or has he got a welsh granparent or summin

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:30 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:What about Matthew Le Tissier and Graeme Le Saux who were from the Channel Islands?

i think they had the option to play for wales, england or scotland

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:31 pm

As much as i want good players playing for wales, id rather them to be welsh!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

thomas9990 wrote:im sure rob earnshaw is south african but he can play for wales because he was at cardiff for 5 years or has he got a welsh granparent or summin

no his mother is welsh

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:35 pm

I don't think we would have missed out. At the end of the day if you are Welsh and you truly believe you have Welsh blood flowing through your veins then you would not want to play for anyone else.

I have lived in England now for 5 years. I can't think of anything worse than representing England at anything. That's not being racist or Anti English. I am just Welsh through and through.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:36 pm

Magners wrote:
nerd wrote:

Would we have missed out on these 4. Wales would have capped these 4 before they were 18, way before they were good enough for England. Once your capped thats it you can't change.

The big difference is, these 4 boys are Welsh and are good enough to play international football for their country. On the flip side the other players I mentioned are English but are not good enough to play for their country. So do they miss out on International football or play for another country they have a connection with. The connection being they lived there for 4 years.

Wales would only have capped them if they agreed to play for Wales rather than waiting to play for England. Giggs having an English parent could have been capped by them before us. Bale would have qualified when turned 17, having in England 5 years....

Turning your point back on you, you name players we *could* gain - who says they'd want to?

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:51 pm

The big difference is, these 4 boys are Welsh and are good enough to play international football for their country. On the flip side the other players I mentioned are English but are not good enough to play for their country. So do they miss out on International football or play for another country they have a connection with. The connection being they lived there for 4 years.[/quote]

Wales would only have capped them if they agreed to play for Wales rather than waiting to play for England. Giggs having an English parent could have been capped by them before us. Bale would have qualified when turned 17, having in England 5 years....

Turning your point back on you, you name players we *could* gain - who says they'd want to?[/quote]

I agree these players may not want to come.

However history suggests that players not good enough to play for their national team England will play for another country they have a connection with. I will use Ireland to back up my case. Ireland do not have the residency and parents before grandparents agreement that Wales has with England. Hence the following have all played for Ireland.
Paul McGrath - English
John Aldridge - English
Andy Townsend - Englsih
Tony Cascarino - English
Kevin Kilbane - English
Liam Lawrence - English
Ray Houghton - Scottish
You can go on and on with Ireland.

Also I can not think of one Irish player who has played for England.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:03 am

Also -
Synod Inn Zidane.
Evan The Cuckoo
Samuel Unwaith Eto
& Ken Wynne Jones is from Tregaron