Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

RESERVE TEAM

Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:56 am

I notice in our match day programmes that Page 3 always has a list of directors and football management
Paul Wilkinson is listed as Reserve Team Manager....I wonder what he does?

Re: RESERVE TEAM

Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:03 am

lisvaneblue wrote:I notice in our match day programmes that Page 3 always has a list of directors and football management

Wilkinson is No3 behind Terry Burton.

If ONLY WE HAD A RESERVE TEAM, TO ME THIS IS ONE OF DJ's BIGGEST MISTAKES.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:08 am

Forever Blue wrote:
lisvaneblue wrote:I notice in our match day programmes that Page 3 always has a list of directors and football management

Yea I know who he is..just amussing that his job title is Reserve Team Manager.. when we don't have a Reserve Team!
So how many team managers do we need for the one team we do have?

Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:32 am

lisvaneblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Yea I know who he is..just amussing that his job title is Reserve Team Manager.. when we don't have a Reserve Team!
So how many team managers do we need for the one team we do have?

DJ on Basic £760,000 a year(with Bonuses £1 Mill)
Terry Burton £250,000 a year(Dont know his Bonuses)
Paul Wilkinson £100,000 a year(Dont know his Bonuses)
Plus we have about at least another 5 Back room staff coaches, BUT DONT HAVE A RESERVE TEAM, To me thats a Joke.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:50 am

so can somebody tell me if the other 23 Championship clubs have reserve teams or not ? :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:53 am

[quote="Forever Blue"][quote="lisvaneblue"][quote="Forever Blue"][quote="lisvaneblue"]I notice in our match day programmes that Page 3 always has a list of directors and football management
Paul Wilkinson is listed as Reserve Team Manager....I wonder what he does?[/quote]

If ONLY WE HAD A RESERVE TEAM, TO ME THIS IS ONE OF DJ's BIGGEST MISTAKES.[/quote]

So how many team managers do we need for the one team we do have?[/quote]

DJ on Basic £760,000 a year(with Bonuses £1 Mill)
Terry Burton £250,000 a year(Dont know his Bonuses)
Paul Wilkinson £100,000 a year(Dont know his Bonuses)
Plus we have about at least another 5 Back room staff coaches, BUT DONT HAVE A RESERVE TEAM, To me thats a Joke.[/quote]

That adds up to around £1.4 miliion just for the 3 most senior team managers. We have a squad of 28 I think..that means it costs 50k a player just to mamage them! Crazy. With that sort of management cover we could easily run a reserve team and it would keep the players match sharp

Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:54 am

Vintage 63 wrote:so can somebody tell me if the other 23 Championship clubs have reserve teams or not ? :ayatollah:

Martyn, I think We are prob one of no more than 3 Clubs out of 92 Clubs who have not got one.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:59 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Vintage 63 wrote:so can somebody tell me if the other 23 Championship clubs have reserve teams or not ? :ayatollah:

Martyn, I think We are prob one of no more than 3 Clubs out of 92 Clubs who have not got one.

probably down to money again Annis , so assuming CCFC did have a team where is the most likely place they would play home games ?

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:05 am

Vintage 63 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

probably down to money again Annis , so assuming CCFC did have a team where is the most likely place they would play home games ?

Martyn, It would cost no more than £500 coach hire per away game(say 10 a season), They dont stay in hotels, they have take away food.
No its because DJ does not believe in RESERVE TEAMS and he was Honest enough to come out and say it.
Ask Alex Ferguson about Reserve teams or any other Successful manager what they think about Reserve Teams.
Its not just about playing quality reserve teams each week, its about 90 mins of getting fit.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:14 am

I guess they would play at Athletics Stadium?

When my father first took me down the City , I am sure the reserves were in the combination and the youth in welsh league ?

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:23 am

i think dj pulled out of reserve games because we bearley had enough for a match day let alone a reserve game, money was tight, lots of injuries and we hardly had any players at the time so it was best to not take part in the reserve games which in a way makes sense, also blame riddler on that part if we had a big sqaud (double the size now) then im sure we'd have a reserve team back

didn't we have the smallest squad in the league at some point??? but i suppose its easyier just to blame dj and not to look at all the facts

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:31 am

the facts now tho show unfit and injured City players not getting game time to improve fitness ....... how many reserve team goals has Keogh scored this season , maybe we would have seen a different Koumas and Drinkwater ????

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:18 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I don`t think that`s anywhere near right Annis , if you refer to reserve teams who actually play in a league as opposed to ones like us who arrange the occasional reserve friendly.

All Premiership clubs MUST have a reserve team - it is a rule of their membership. But I think only about 8 or 9 Championship teams play their reserves in a league (split regianally). Lower division South East clubs play regular friendlies against each other as they are easy to arrange at short notice due to the short distances involved. But I don`t think the majority of other clubs do.

I would estimate that , overall , less than half the 92 clubs have a reserve team playing in a league.The only way to check would be to look at each club`s official website.