Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MacBook Pro v Windows

Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:56 pm

Anyone got a MacBook Pro?

I want to get one but the price is very high. This will be my first Mac, a number of my friends have Mac's and will never go back.

Any opinions from people that have Mac's? Also does anyone know if they are releasing a new 2011 range soon?

Re: MacBook Pro v Windows

Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:59 pm

i have a Macbook, and yeh ill never go back to pc. they are amazing machines. well worth the extra money...if you can afford it. :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:00 pm

Davidreesevans wrote:i have a Macbook, and yeh ill never go back to pc. they are amazing machines. well worth the extra money...if you can afford it. :ayatollah:

Last longer as well?

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:15 pm

Your friends are right.

Been working in computer retail for the last 12 years, the Windows horror stories over that time that I have witnessed has been alarming, and still continues today. Viruses, cheap components, spyware, junk, malware, hackers, security issues, compatibility issues, registry problems, blue screen of death, driver issues and most importantly of all a clumsy, unreliable, slow pathetic excuse for an OS. If you dont look after your windows machine properly which most people dont, then your machine will start dying a slow death. If you dont look after your Mac like me, then it still and always works full tilt nontheless!!!

Everyone where I work either has one or wants one! You get what you pay for. The Macbook Pro is awesome, a joy to use and an investment as well as a purchase. If you have the readies go for it :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:25 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:Your friends are right.

Been working in computer retail for the last 12 years, the Windows horror stories over that time that I have witnessed has been alarming, and still continues today. Viruses, cheap components, spyware, junk, malware, hackers, security issues, compatibility issues, registry problems, blue screen of death, driver issues and most importantly of all a clumsy, unreliable, slow pathetic excuse for an OS. If you dont look after your windows machine properly which most people dont, then your machine will start dying a slow death. If you dont look after your Mac like me, then it still and always works full tilt nontheless!!!

Everyone where I work either has one or wants one! You get what you pay for. The Macbook Pro is awesome, a joy to use and an investment as well as a purchase. If you have the readies go for it :ayatollah:

I work in IT support myself for my local authority and we look after council staff and the county's schools. The majority of schools are going over to Mac and we dont hear any complaints from them but we also have the PCs that council employees use...which to be fair keep us in a job.

As you said it's a lot of money and I need opinions and egging on before forking out that amount of dough.

As you work in retail...have you heard of any new MacBook Pro due to be released? I would hate to buy the current model and the new one being released in a month or so!

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:43 pm

im not clued up on new releases etc, but have a look at the date the last two models were released, i think they normally have a new one once a year? but thats a guess, i bought my macbook and they released a new one a month later which was a bit dissapointing, but even still the differences dont tend to be that substantial so i wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. DO IT!! :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:00 pm

yeh i have a Macbook pro thought i would treat myself at christmas :P they are great and well worth all the money u pay for them :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:03 pm

If you are buying a new macbook hold on just a few months as it is rumoured that Apple will launch a new OS this year so it makes sense to buy the machine with the already installed new OS. The new OS is rumoured to be called Lion which will replace the current snow leopard.
Don't do what i did and bought an iMac months before they released Leopard! I have an iMac running snow leopard at home and a MB pro running the same for my work/travels. Best machines I have ever used - go for it money well spent!

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:44 pm

bloo wrote:If you are buying a new macbook hold on just a few months as it is rumoured that Apple will launch a new OS this year so it makes sense to buy the machine with the already installed new OS. The new OS is rumoured to be called Lion which will replace the current snow leopard.
Don't do what i did and bought an iMac months before they released Leopard! I have an iMac running snow leopard at home and a MB pro running the same for my work/travels. Best machines I have ever used - go for it money well spent!

Just checked the release date and its expected in the summer. Don't know if I can wait that long!

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Been using windows pc's for years and recently changed to an iMac. This was mainly due to using the iphone followed by the iPad and the user friendliness of the apple platforms.

Apple are expensive compared to windows based pc's, but long term and the reliability of mac systems it will cost in and you will make savings. The design and feel of macs are also much better. Oh yes and dont forget no viruses.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:19 pm

I have a mac book, :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Better off buying the cheaper windows laptop and installing Linux Ubuntu or Linux Mint, having it dual booting with windows, you have the security and stability of Linux and the option of booting to windows if you require to, I do all my banking and purchasing in my Linux environment and stuff Like AUTOCad in Windows. Mac is basically BSD with a nice graphical front end.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:57 pm

:lol: There is NOTHING better about a Mac compared to a Microsoft machine, except looks.

They're both as good as each other. Obviously you can do more customisation with Windows machines.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Dafydd wrote::lol: There is NOTHING better about a Mac compared to a Microsoft machine, except looks.

They're both as good as each other. Obviously you can do more customisation with Windows machines.

Reliability is one major thing that the mac has over windows. Yes you can customize your windows machine but, the great problem here is that you are mixing and matching 3rd party hardware which is sometime cheap and unreliable and can easily mess up your machine to a point where it will kill it.
Everything you need is already installed on your mac and there is plenty of your favourite windows software available to run on a mac as well.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:05 pm

SA17 Bluebird wrote:

I work in IT support myself for my local authority and we look after council staff and the county's schools. The majority of schools are going over to Mac and we dont hear any complaints from them but we also have the PCs that council employees use...which to be fair keep us in a job.

As you said it's a lot of money and I need opinions and egging on before forking out that amount of dough.

As you work in retail...have you heard of any new MacBook Pro due to be released? I would hate to buy the current model and the new one being released in a month or so!

Havent heard anything yet but there is usually a new model come June or July, which means current models may fall in price between now and May

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:17 pm

Dafydd wrote::lol: There is NOTHING better about a Mac compared to a Microsoft machine, except looks.

Sorry fellah,

Your wrong. I have no particular bias here, but I work both in the customer service and technical sales side and have done for a long time, there is absolutely no contest, we restarted a sony vaio i5 laptop £999, took a hundred seconds before you could start your stuff, Macbook same price 29 seconds. 10 hour battery, Titanium casing, Brilliant LED displays, lighting fast coordination etc. Apple make the hardware and the software perfect synergy a match made in heaven, with Windows a case of to many cooks spoil the broth, for programming, gaming and customization however Windows is the one you are right, but that kind of user is a rarity in the grand scheme of things. Most people want a machine that feels good, looks good, and WORKS from the off, fast email, browsing and applications end of story. Most mac users have the same machine for 5 years or more (mine is nearly 5 yrs and I am running Logic Pro and CS4 with just 2gb RAM and its great) during which time Windows users average 2 machines.

Thing is is it worth the extra bucks? This is the only thing even Mac users srtuggle to agree on, its a lot money.

But yes absolutely the better machine.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:18 pm

BlueInHeath wrote:

Better off buying the cheaper windows laptop and installing Linux Ubuntu or Linux Mint, having it dual booting with windows, you have the security and stability of Linux and the option of booting to windows if you require to, I do all my banking and purchasing in my Linux environment and stuff Like AUTOCad in Windows. Mac is basically BSD with a nice graphical front end.

Not bad advice software wise.
But the hardware..............................?

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Also don't worry about stuff like older cameras syncing with newer mac OS they work fine. Vista on the other hand...grrrr