Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

stephen mcphail

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:47 am

its no coincidence that since hes come back into the team we havent won WHY CANT DJ SEE IT grrrrrrrrr

Re: stephen mcphail

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:52 am

DEANO wrote:its no coincidence that since hes come back into the team we havent won WHY CANT DJ SEE IT grrrrrrrrr

tbh i like mcphail ... he gets stuck in and very rarely gives the ball away! ... he does try to get things going! ... i would rather oli though [with whitts] in the middle!

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:53 am

Rambo pass and move,mcphail pass and .......there lies your answer.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:53 am

Rambo pass and move,mcphail pass and .......there lies your answer.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:03 am

mike blues wrote:Rambo pass and move,mcphail pass and .......there lies your answer.

true :ayatollah: but rambo is a different league to most players!

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:15 am

sign of the times ............. didnt hear 1 single boo from the Barsnley fans aimed at him yesterday , I think they have well and truely got over losing him :lol:

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:38 am

Slows the game down when we are at our best playing at afast tempo.Another of the managers favourites and another one who wont get us promoted.JONES OUT.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:42 am

plus he's the most 1 footed player Ive ever seen since Long John Silver :lol: .............. he cant do fa with his right foot and everything HAS to be done on the left , that said Whitts and JET are just as bad for that too .

On another note Burkey needs target practice coz his shooting is abysmal at the mo !

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:26 am

Vintage 63 wrote:plus he's the most 1 footed player Ive ever seen since Long John Silver :lol: .............. he cant do fa with his right foot and everything HAS to be done on the left , that said Whitts and JET are just as bad for that too .

On another note Burkey needs target practice coz his shooting is abysmal at the mo !

You mean Jon Parkin who picked up that nickname thanks to his huge silver penis?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:27 am

AHERNE wrote:
DEANO wrote:its no coincidence that since hes come back into the team we havent won WHY CANT DJ SEE IT grrrrrrrrr

tbh i like mcphail ... he gets stuck in and very rarely gives the ball away! ... he does try to get things going! ... i would rather oli though [with whitts] in the middle!

That is a total myth and I knew someone would bring it up so I counted yesterday how many times he lost possession and he did it on TEN occasions.

As the OP said his return to the side has coincided with our slump and the exact same thing has happened in every previous year we have either blown promotion or lost an historic chance to win the FA Cup.

Basically he is too slow, can't pass forward, can't score, can't tackle and has an annoying habit of giving away free-kicks right outside the box.

What I want to know is why he is at the club never mind in the starting XI?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:28 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
AHERNE wrote:

That is a total myth and I knew someone would bring it up so I counted yesterday how many times he lost possession and he did it on TEN occasions.

As the OP said his return to the side has coincided with our slump and the exact same thing has happened in every previous year we have either blown promotion or lost an historic chance to win the FA Cup.

Basically he is too slow, can't pass forward, can't score, can't tackle and has an annoying habit of giving away free-kicks right outside the box.

What I want to know is why he is at the club never mind in the starting XI?

IMO he's League 1 at best ? :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:38 am

I like mcphail. atleast he tries to get the ball down and play, which on that pitch is something. It must be very disheartening for him to look up and see f**k all movement all the time. he gets his foot in as well. much prefer mcphail to whitss.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Numpties, all of you. If you honestly think our midfield is better with Whittingham in the middle you need shooting. Saying that his centre midfield performances recently have been much better lately but he still rarely goes for headers and on Sunday he even let the ball bounce and backed off instead of going for it.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:15 pm

milly44 wrote:I like mcphail. atleast he tries to get the ball down and play, which on that pitch is something. It must be very disheartening for him to look up and see f**k all movement all the time. he gets his foot in as well. much prefer mcphail to whitss.

I echo these sentiments mate. He's not the best player around but the pitch and lack of movement seriously hamper him. He was at his best that one season when he had a man sweeping up the damage in the centre and he had free reign to pick out Chopra's runs. Recently he's had to play deeper and do the dirty work which isn't his game. When he finally does win possession he has little options available. Saying that, he's not the best mover off the ball either!

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:21 pm

milly44 wrote:I like mcphail. atleast he tries to get the ball down and play, which on that pitch is something. It must be very disheartening for him to look up and see f**k all movement all the time. he gets his foot in as well. much prefer mcphail to whitss.

Glad someone else is talking sense in this thread mate. I don't think Mcphail has had a bad game since he came back in the side. He was our best player for me yesterday. Once Chops went off him and Whitts had no movement to pass forward to.
He closed down everything and put his foot in on numerous ocassions as well.

How about analysing out supposed superstars Bellamy, and Jay. Pair of them once again were f*cking useless for the numerous consecutive game. Hudson reverted to his old self again yesterday as well, where the hell was he for both goals and as for his miss from 3 yards?????

Is Mcphail as good as Rambo? Of course not but he is a damn sight better footballer than most.

Quinn should come out as well, Darcy and Adam Matthews are far better fullbacks.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:39 pm

AHERNE wrote:

Gets stuck in :lol: The man is too slow for the championship and too one sided :shock: , If he was any good why did Leeds let him go those years back to Barnsley :roll:

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:15 pm

come on lads the guy is the most talented footballer in the team and had another good game yesterday would some of you guys prefer the good old gareth stoker type donkeys or craig middleton and jason fowler very short memories lads and start watching games

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:19 pm

we looked better yesterday when whitts went wide and oli and mcphail were in the middle.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:34 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:we looked better yesterday when whitts went wide and oli and mcphail were in the middle.

I felt that too. Oli gave us a much better balance.

Mcphail is like marmite at our club :lol:

So many people who think he's absolute garbage and others who think he's great.

In reality, like so many other players at this level the truth is somewhere in between. McPhail has lovely control, vision and a passing range which is superb -the one ball he played for JET against Ipswich would be on match of the Day every week if Beckham had done it. BUT he hasnt got much of an engine, isnt strong, has no pace, is one footed and his shooting well.. lets just leave it as less said the better.

He can be a very good player if he has the balance around him, sadly we havent got that and really the only midfielder who had ALL the required attributes we've had, was only here for a month and is a top, Premiership player. The rest all lack something... Whitts, strength, aggression, work-rate, .........Oli, reading of the game, positional sense, balance..... Burke strength, consistency, vision, shooting......JET, vision, work-rate, aggression... I could go on with the others. Its somewhere we've really been lacking a WINNER for years. Shaun Derry is SHIT, but his workrate, aggression, tacking and general pig-headedness work alongside the more skilful team-mates he has at QPR. We really could do with someone in there who could do a similar job.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:we looked better yesterday when whitts went wide and oli and mcphail were in the middle.

I felt that too. Oli gave us a much better balance.

Mcphail is like marmite at our club :lol:

So many people who think he's absolute garbage and others who think he's great.

In reality, like so many other players at this level the truth is somewhere in between. McPhail has lovely control, vision and a passing range which is superb -the one ball he played for JET against Ipswich would be on match of the Day every week if Beckham had done it. BUT he hasnt got much of an engine, isnt strong, has no pace, is one footed and his shooting well.. lets just leave it as less said the better.

He can be a very good player if he has the balance around him, sadly we havent got that and really the only midfielder who had ALL the required attributes we've had, was only here for a month and is a top, Premiership player. The rest all lack something... Whitts, strength, aggression, work-rate, .........Oli, reading of the game, positional sense, balance..... Burke strength, consistency, vision, shooting......JET, vision, work-rate, aggression... I could go on with the others. Its somewhere we've really been lacking a WINNER for years. Shaun Derry is SHIT, but his workrate, aggression, tacking and general pig-headedness work alongside the more skilful team-mates he has at QPR. We really could do with someone in there who could do a similar job.

What i cant work out with McPhail is how he doesnt shoot-he has a quality left foot and should be worth 6 goals a season or so. The other thing is why is he so one sided-surely he should be coached to use his right foot or dont our management develop the weaknesses in our team.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:53 pm

Im just amazed that people expect McPhail who has played nearly most of his career at the lower levels expects him to be like Ramsey who was in Arsenals team and again pushing for arsenals team :lol:

McPhail is what he is, over the Ipswich and Palace game I thought he was clearly our best player, a little less so against Barnsley but still put in a shift. He is more than capable its the forward players like Burke, Jet, Bellamy, Jay, Chops who arent performing. McPhail and WItts have created enough chances in the last 3 games to win them all comfortabley

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:10 pm

One footed players? Whittingham rarely uses his right foot, I think I saw Andy Legg use his right foot twice in his entire career yet some people love these guys.

It is possible to use one foot but I do like a player thats not afraid to use his weaker foot, although David Beckham and Juan Sebastian Veron have both carved out spectacular careers out of not using their left foot!

McPhail dropped down a few levels after a bad injury, his career started very brightly at the highest level dont forget.