Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Manager

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:18 pm

Now after we failed in the final four games last season I told myself against all my disappointment and rage that I would be willing to give Dave Jones one more chance. We've improved season upon season and although we haven't gotten promoted yet we're still on the up... statistically anyway!

However, when Jones signed Mark Hudson and kept hold of the likes of Feeney, Comminges and Capaldi I was skeptical about our chances of improving this season. We started well but we always have. Chopra has been his usual hit and miss self hitting gold runs but then going dry for weeks. Basically, we've started like we always do, except maybe less consistently.

This lack of consistency has me worried. I've always been a big fan of Jones. I've liked the football we've played, I've liked how he's remained calm in times of strain and I've generally agreed with the starting line ups he picked. His work in the transfer market is neither here nor there getting bargains with the likes of Chopra and McCormack but then splashing big money or wages on more contentious players like Hudson and Eddie.

I'm stubbornly standing by my thinking that Jones should be given until the end of this season but it's becoming hard after such displays as Crystal Palace, Swansea and Ipswich this season.

The question remains though, if Jones did go, who should we get in? Darren Ferguson seems the number one choice, but what if he rejected us? Is there much else out there? I like the look of the lad at Brentford... is it Andy Scott or something?

Re: Manager

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:30 pm

Zabier wrote:Now after we failed in the final four games last season I told myself against all my disappointment and rage that I would be willing to give Dave Jones one more chance. We've improved season upon season and although we haven't gotten promoted yet we're still on the up... statistically anyway!

However, when Jones signed Mark Hudson and kept hold of the likes of Feeney, Comminges and Capaldi I was skeptical about our chances of improving this season. We started well but we always have. Chopra has been his usual hit and miss self hitting gold runs but then going dry for weeks. Basically, we've started like we always do, except maybe less consistently.

This lack of consistency has me worried. I've always been a big fan of Jones. I've liked the football we've played, I've liked how he's remained calm in times of strain and I've generally agreed with the starting line ups he picked. His work in the transfer market is neither here nor there getting bargains with the likes of Chopra and McCormack but then splashing big money or wages on more contentious players like Hudson and Eddie.

I'm stubbornly standing by my thinking that Jones should be given until the end of this season but it's becoming hard after such displays as Crystal Palace, Swansea and Ipswich this season.

In my opinion Jones has to go now. He has had well over 4 yrs and every yr he goes on these bad runs and cant get out of them. The facts speak for themselves in 90 games when 1 nil down he has come back to win only 5 games in over 4 yrs.He does not know how to change a game, he only swops like for like on the field of play.He has now 100% lost the dressing room which I know is a fact and to me that means good bye Mr Jones.

The question remains though, if Jones did go, who should we get in? Darren Ferguson seems the number one choice, but what if he rejected us? Is there much else out there? I like the look of the lad at Brentford... is it Andy Scott or something?

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:35 pm

It's funny you mention the 'coming from behind' flaw. I was actually going to use that in my argument against him stating that we've now lost that ability to hold leads after scoring first that set Jones apart from other managers.

Why do you think he's lost the dressing room? I'm not asking what evidence you have, I mean as in what were the factors that caused this do you think? It's well known he's stubborn but is this the reason or is it the fact that he's shouted off at the players when they've played badly and because they lack backbone they've not taken it well and have fallen out with him?

Personally I think Jones has got a weak willed squad. Yes, it's his fault that he's brought these players in but the players need to take responsibility. Every player says we have a great set of fans so they're obviously aware of how much we care. Why don't they repay our care and support with an equal amount of care on the field? Is this the players fault or is it Jones's job to get them motivated?

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:43 pm

Zabier wrote:It's funny you mention the 'coming from behind' flaw. I was actually going to use that in my argument against him stating that we've now lost that ability to hold leads after scoring first that set Jones apart from other managers.

Why do you think he's lost the dressing room? I'm not asking what evidence you have, I mean as in what were the factors that caused this do you think? It's well known he's stubborn but is this the reason or is it the fact that he's shouted off at the players when they've played badly and because they lack backbone they've not taken it well and have fallen out with him?

Personally I think Jones has got a weak willed squad. Yes, it's his fault that he's brought these players in but the players need to take responsibility. Every player says we have a great set of fans so they're obviously aware of how much we care. Why don't they repay our care and support with an equal amount of care on the field? Is this the players fault or is it Jones's job to get them motivated?

There are 3 groups in the dressing room now, youve got DJ 's favourites Chops.Booths,Hudson and McCphail, every one knows what ever they do behind the scenes and I mean well out of order things , they will always play and even if they dont score or play well for 10 games they will play.
You have a group who just hate DJ and they dont even spk to him.
Then there is just the normal player group, who just get on with it, but dont really listen to DJ anymore.
They have lost respect for him and his tactics, they answer back to him. There is no leader with the players who stands up to the squad and gets them geed up. I could write a book lol

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:54 pm

I have a suggestion! A book off! Annis Abraham vs Dave Jones. It could be done in a similar way that a big fight press conference weigh in is done. Think about it Annis!

I see what you mean about the divisions. It is clear even to us supporters which players Dave likes and which ones he hates. However, I don't know if I agree with you saying they've lost faith in the tactics. I think our initial tactics are great but it's when we need to go to Plan B that we struggle. Like you mentioned earlier he has no idea how to react to situations in a game, except when it is too late.

Take Sunday for instance. We were all calling for McCormack to come on earlier. From the 50th minute it was obvious Bothroyd's injury was slowing him down, whilst nothing was happening on the wings. Plus midfield was sitting too deep. Something needed to happen early doors second half be it a substitution or a strategical change. Nothing happened until an unfit Kelvin Etuhu came on with about 20 minutes left... if that.

Saying that, a view I hear from a lot of fans around different clubs is that their manager either lacks a Plan B or plays players out of position. Do you not think we've forgotten where our bread is buttered with Jones? He generally gets the starting line up, formation and style of play right. Are we getting greedy wanting a manager who can also alter his tactics perfectly throughout the game? Would he not be a top 6 manager if he could do that as well as what he currently does right?

Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:35 pm

Zabier wrote:I have a suggestion! A book off! Annis Abraham vs Dave Jones. It could be done in a similar way that a big fight press conference weigh in is done. Think about it Annis!

I see what you mean about the divisions. It is clear even to us supporters which players Dave likes and which ones he hates. However, I don't know if I agree with you saying they've lost faith in the tactics. I think our initial tactics are great but it's when we need to go to Plan B that we struggle. Like you mentioned earlier he has no idea how to react to situations in a game, except when it is too late.

Take Sunday for instance. We were all calling for McCormack to come on earlier. From the 50th minute it was obvious Bothroyd's injury was slowing him down, whilst nothing was happening on the wings. Plus midfield was sitting too deep. Something needed to happen early doors second half be it a substitution or a strategical change. Nothing happened until an unfit Kelvin Etuhu came on with about 20 minutes left... if that.

Saying that, a view I hear from a lot of fans around different clubs is that their manager either lacks a Plan B or plays players out of position. Do you not think we've forgotten where our bread is buttered with Jones? He generally gets the starting line up, formation and style of play right. Are we getting greedy wanting a manager who can also alter his tactics perfectly throughout the game? Would he not be a top 6 manager if he could do that as well as what he currently does right?

I just want a manager who knows what he's doing, and wins games to get us promoted. Tactics is a major ingredient of that improvement and Mr J hasn't a clue in that department.

StT.