Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Rival fans unite to support family and build bridges

Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:38 am

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Rival ... story.html

THEY are keen rivals in the stands.

But now fans of both Swansea and Cardiff City are uniting for a charity match organised in memory of the Welsh football fan killed before Wales's game against England.

3201349 (1).jpg

Cardiff fan Mike Dye died outside Wembley Stadium before the match on September 6.

Some sections of the national media incorrectly claimed Mr Dye's death was a result of a clash between Swans and Cardiff fans before the game.

Now fans from both clubs have come together to raise money for Mr Dye's family and to forge a better relationship between the two.

One of the organisers, Swans fan Gary Evans, said: "A Cardiff fan, Carl Curtis, came on the Planet Swans forum and asked if any Swans supporters would be willing to play a game and organise it from our end.

"I checked back throughout the day and people said they were willing to play but no-one said they were willing to organise it, so I said I would help.

"We have had nothing but positive feedback from everyone since.

"After Mike's death, there was a lot of rumour in the national press about what happened and the idea came from that.

"We want Wales to unite behind the Welsh team where ever they play.

"All the money raised on the day will go towards Mike's fund, which I think has raised £30,000 so far."

Mr Evan said he wanted to see as many Swans fans as possible at the game, which will take place at Bryntirion football club in Bridgend on Sunday, October 9.

"We would love as many supporters as possible to come and watch the match," Mr Evans said. "It is to show support for Mike and his family and for the occasion itself."

Another organiser, Steve Rees, known as Reeco among supporters, said: "Within a short space of time, we have gone to about 30 fans wanting to be involved.

"It is about building bridges between the two clubs — we have had some fantastic support and it is a fantastic idea.

"We are desperate for someone to supply us some kit and maybe sponsor the shirts for the match.

"Swansea City had very kindly agreed to lend us some kit for the game but all the shirts they had have been sent to Sierra Leone for the Football Kit Appeal.

"If someone would like to help, that would be great."

Cardiff City fan Annis Abraham said: "Mike was one of my best friends and I had known him since the early 1980s.

Mix

"What some parts of the national press tried to do was unbelievable and with this we can show the rest of the UK that we can stand shoulder to shoulder and can mix with one another.

"I think this is a major step forward for both sets of fans and to show we can have a good day together.

"Mike's son Chrissy will kick-off the game and the 33 players will play 30 minutes of the match each.

"We are thinking we might have the game again in the future and get other fans involved too."

Bryntirion FC chairman Emlyn Phillips said of the game: "It's fantastic Cardiff and Swansea supporters have put differences behind them, and are working towards this worthy cause."

The match is planned to kick-off at 2pm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Rival fans unite to support family and build bridges

Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:54 am

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:15 am

This is great to see. Really looking forward to the day. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:07 am

El Tel wrote:This is great to see. Really looking forward to the day. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Same here.

:ayatollah:

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:08 am

Nice work :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:18 am

30k? woooow thats great, whats going to happen with that money?

Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Awsome mate wel done

Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:22 pm

McClane wrote:30k? woooow thats great, whats going to happen with that money?

That is a misprint - I told Gary that the last count I saw was £13k and that it was last week, either Gary misheard me or the evening post misquoted Gary.

The figure to date is £13500 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:25 pm

carlccfc wrote:
McClane wrote:30k? woooow thats great, whats going to happen with that money?

That is a misprint - I told Gary that the last count I saw was £13k and that it was last week, either Gary misheard me or the evening post misquoted Gary.

The figure to date is £13500 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

13500 is still an achievement and just goes to show how everyone has pulled together :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Fantastic! Well done all concened.