Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A telling statistic

Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:01 pm

Anyone pay any attention to the statistics they show on the big ( :lol: ) screen at half time and at the end of the game?

I've noticed that in a lot of our home games recently the opposition have had a greater share of the possession than we have. Now whilst I accept that the game is about goals not possession it must be a concern that in most games the opposition have more of the ball than we do.

Of course in simple terms without possession you won't score!

I think that the main reason for this statistic is that we always seem quite haappy for the opposition to have plenty of the ball particularly in midfield and often deep in our own half where the tactic seems to be to stand off the other team and wait for them to make a mistake or for the ball to run loose. We rarely seem to make a tackle and never seem to put any pressure on the opposition midfield.

When we get the ball in midfield most other teams are right in our faces, hassling and pressuring us into making mistakes which usually come quite quickly, with possession lost again and another period of chasing shadows as they play around us.

We seem to wait for things to happen when the opposition has the ball rather than making them happen.

But then what do i know? I've never played the game at the highest level :ayatollah:

Looks like our end of season slump may have started a little early this season.