Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Where's Our BLUE KNIGHT?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:58 am

Although I think it is stupid to throw £1billion at a single club at least the Red Knight Consortium are (supposedly) fans of Manchester United and have asked for the fans backing by getting them to join the Supporters Trust for Free. Over the last few days their number went from 50k to 80k.

The idea is that there are about 50 fans each chucking in about £15million and others throwing in anythin from £5 to £1million as proper investment to get rid of the current owners and pay off the massive debt. The club will then be run by the book spending what comes in, which, be honest, will be loads.

So do we have this potential? I instantly assume not. But hypothetically what would we need?

We must be talking about £40million tops to pay off debts get rid of the major shareholders and leave enough money to replace short term income streams that have been lost and a bit more for the team.

5 Investors with £5million + 10 More with £1million + 20 more with £250k. Are we that short of millionaires in this country that this would be impossible for a European capital City.

As I said, I assume we do not have that muscle amongst our fans or even just amongst our population. But it's nice to dream.

Re: Where's Our BLUE KNIGHT?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:00 am

Red Knight seems to me to get a good idea in theory, in practise...

Those millions of fans will whine like bitches when they don't have the money for the big transfers they want to see and the team start sliding down the table.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:10 am

nerd wrote:Red Knight seems to me to get a good idea in theory, in practise...

Those millions of fans will whine like bitches when they don't have the money for the big transfers they want to see and the team start sliding down the table.

Unlike Man U fans we are all aware now what overspending, by Sam and now the current board, has done to our club. Surely now we, as a collective, will be more than happy with a club run WITHIN budget. It didn't hurt Stoke or Burnley.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:13 am

Even David Sullivan can chuck in £5million, it wouldn't amount too anywhere near the 10% holding he must not go over. It's the least he can do for leaving us out to dry for so many years. :D

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:18 am

Agree - we need to work within the budget. No issue there.

My point was about Man Utd - they cut running costs, plastic supporters will moan into their prawn sarnie wrappers! Wah, I donated £1 because even though I live in Scotland, I'm a real Man Utd fan... we haven't bought Messi, wah....

The problem is, which fans would head the consortium? Who would run the club? There are plenty of governance issues arising.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:35 am

nerd wrote:
The problem is, which fans would head the consortium? Who would run the club? There are plenty of governance issues arising.

I would assume it is no different to the current situation, there are numerous shareholders and they leave the running of the club to an employed Executive Director :twisted:

We just employ a relevently educated individual who knows how to make at least half an effort into running a club.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:40 am

Wayne S wrote:
nerd wrote:

I would assume it is no different to the current situation, there are numerous shareholders and they leave the running of the club to an employed Executive Director :twisted:

We just employ a relevently educated individual who knows how to make at least half an effort into running a club.

Monkeh from the PG Tips advert? He'd be cool.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:45 am

It is certainly something that should be looked into.

£40m would be top whack so there could be room to negotiate both the share price and individual debts downwards and the price could be as low as £25-30m. If enough supporters were willing to contribute over the long term £15-20 p/m that income could be securitised and used to buy the club and pay off the debts.

All those taking part would become preferential shareholders who could eventually sell their stake and even see a return.

The scheme would result in the club living off all its own generated income without being weighed down by debt repayments of over £3m P/A.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:00 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:It is certainly something that should be looked into.

£40m would be top whack so there could be room to negotiate both the share price and individual debts downwards and the price could be as low as £25-30m. If enough supporters were willing to contribute over the long term £15-20 p/m that income could be securitised and used to buy the club and pay off the debts.

All those taking part would become preferential shareholders who could eventually sell their stake and even see a return.

The scheme would result in the club living off all its own generated income without being weighed down by debt repayments of over £3m P/A.

Have you ever thought of contacting a local reporter and with a few others putting this forward?

It would show the General fan and indeed Public that as fans we can actually think of the future......I would certainly pay £20 pm.

I think the Trust should jump onto this idea of yours.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 am

The problem is, to get control that way, the people have to be willing to sell their shares NOW.

"Well, we can buy them off you, we can guarantee XXX a month" isn't foing to cut it - the money would have to be built up before being able to do that. By which time it could be too late.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:16 am

nerd wrote:The problem is, to get control that way, the people have to be willing to sell their shares NOW.

"Well, we can buy them off you, we can guarantee XXX a month" isn't foing to cut it - the money would have to be built up before being able to do that. By which time it could be too late.

Couldnt the Trust set up a fund for this .....even for a long term future project?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:18 am

ianfens wrote:
It would show the General fan and indeed Public that as fans we can actually think of the future......I would certainly pay £20 pm.

I just think the per month method may be too difficult to manage. Do you remember the annual fee you could pay to help fund Ebbsfleet, so many people dropped out after the first year.

Cash up front form investors would be the ideal scenario if there are about 5 to 10 people who can put in major amounts the momentum would then carry the idea forward to lesser investors and then to us little fans with our £50 to £500 quid investments.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:19 am

ianfens wrote:
nerd wrote:The problem is, to get control that way, the people have to be willing to sell their shares NOW.

Couldnt the Trust set up a fund for this .....even for a long term future project?

That's what Trust membership fees are meant to be for, aren't they?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:22 am

nerd wrote:
ianfens wrote:

That's what Trust membership fees are meant to be for, aren't they?

I suggest a hike then....... small amount for an annual payment.

Id have more faith if all fans got in there.

A page advert in the SWE ....surely they more than get the ad money back.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:24 am

Come on then let's have five individuals that £5million would not even dent their wallet and may still see it as a future investment. They may look at it different if they are not being asked to take over completely but be part of a larger group.

Some of these have been mentioned before and although they are not Football Fans or Cardiff linked, they have links to sport or Cardiff but probably not both.

Michael Moritz - likes to invest in stuff in Cardiff, but not known to be a sports individual.

Admiral Insurance Guy - Dunno his name, but Cardiff based and into his sport.

Who next?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:28 am

Wayne S wrote:
ianfens wrote:

I just think the per month method may be too difficult to manage. Do you remember the annual fee you could pay to help fund Ebbsfleet, so many people dropped out after the first year.

Cash up front form investors would be the ideal scenario if there are about 5 to 10 people who can put in major amounts the momentum would then carry the idea forward to lesser investors and then to us little fans with our £50 to £500 quid investments.

That is a fair comment and obviously those participating would have to commit to the long term and understand that. Personally I would jump at the chance but of course it would take 1,000's of others to join me.

I also understand the concerns raised about there would be little money avaiable now. But what is in favour of the scheme is that if we start this now it would be new money coming into the club on a regular basis which foremost would be used to service debt.

I think you would find the club would be very greatful of that and if the scheme proved itself over a period of 2 - 3 years we could have the option of securitising the income and buying the club outright.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:29 am

Wayne S wrote:Come on then let's have five individuals that £5million would not even dent their wallet and may still see it as a future investment. They may look at it different if they are not being asked to take over completely but be part of a larger group.

Some of these have been mentioned before and although they are not Football Fans or Cardiff linked, they have links to sport or Cardiff but probably not both.

Michael Moritz - likes to invest in stuff in Cardiff, but not known to be a sports individual.

Who next?

Wasn't Julian Hodge's son a City fan? admittedly im talking of some 30+ years ago.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:38 am

ianfens wrote:
Wayne S wrote:Come on then let's have five individuals that £5million would not even dent their wallet and may still see it as a future investment. They may look at it different if they are not being asked to take over completely but be part of a larger group.

Who next?

Wasn't Julian Hodge's son a City fan? admittedly im talking of some 30+ years ago.

Hmm. I'd say no. Not that he's not a fan, just, ehhh....

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:04 am

Wayne S wrote:Although I think it is stupid to throw £1billion at a single club at least the Red Knight Consortium are (supposedly) fans of Manchester United and have asked for the fans backing by getting them to join the Supporters Trust for Free. Over the last few days their number went from 50k to 80k.

The idea is that there are about 50 fans each chucking in about £15million and others throwing in anythin from £5 to £1million as proper investment to get rid of the current owners and pay off the massive debt. The club will then be run by the book spending what comes in, which, be honest, will be loads.

So do we have this potential? I instantly assume not. But hypothetically what would we need?

We must be talking about £40million tops to pay off debts get rid of the major shareholders and leave enough money to replace short term income streams that have been lost and a bit more for the team.

5 Investors with £5million + 10 More with £1million + 20 more with £250k. Are we that short of millionaires in this country that this would be impossible for a European capital City.

As I said, I assume we do not have that muscle amongst our fans or even just amongst our population. But it's nice to dream.

Anyone looking to get the Club at closer to its real value would be wise to focus on the debt. With equity looking increasingly worthless, buying out creditors and leveraging that in negotiations with the existing shareholders would be the smarter way to go.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:29 am

Uccello Azzurro wrote:Anyone looking to get the Club at closer to its real value would be wise to focus on the debt. With equity looking increasingly worthless, buying out creditors and leveraging that in negotiations with the existing shareholders would be the smarter way to go.

Would you take on a creditors debt against CCFC at the moment though? I think I'd rather buy out first and then negotiate with the creditors. Knowing my luck I'd take on the debt from the likes of Sam, Shine and the like and a day ater they'd go into administration. :twisted:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:45 am

Turns out our Blue Knight is one of the Red Knights

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:52 am

Nottage Blue wrote:Turns out our Blue Knight is one of the Red Knights

Has he stuck cash in though or is he just brokering the deal and then getting shares fro free like his mate PR?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:58 am

Wayne S wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:Turns out our Blue Knight is one of the Red Knights

Has he stuck cash in though or is he just brokering the deal and then getting shares fro free like his mate PR?

He's just a broker for clubs, isn't he? But, as for our club, I think he's been put on the board as support for ridsdale. It seems he's done nothing to make the Malaysians takeover here as seamless as possible, has he? I think if he had, they would be in charge now and ridsdale would be gone. But, as I have said, it doesn't seem that he's here for that, does it?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:58 pm

nerd wrote:
ianfens wrote:

Who next?

Hmm. I'd say no. Not that he's not a fan, just, ehhh....

Have I missed something....did they go broke or something?

Remember I haven't lived in Wales for years.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Slight problem with the Red Knight scheme. Man Utd are not on the stock market and therefore if the Glaziers dont want to sell, they don't have to. It's about putting an offer in to tempt them to sell. I suspect the Glaziers are able to service debt and at present have no desire to sell unless they make substantial profit...... So a sale would have to equate to at least a billion quid.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:41 pm

RobbieS wrote:Slight problem with the Red Knight scheme. Man Utd are not on the stock market and therefore if the Glaziers dont want to sell, they don't have to. It's about putting an offer in to tempt them to sell. I suspect the Glaziers are able to service debt and at present have no desire to sell unless they make substantial profit...... So a sale would have to equate to at least a billion quid.

I was listening to the news in the car on the way home last night and they were saying that, if £1billion is offered, it would equate to a profit of 25% over 5 years, something which would not appeal to them and the offer may have to be increased to succeed

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:03 pm

if keith harris had put a fraction of the effort he as put in to the red knights venture in to cardiff city i am sure we would have found new owners by now, i really can't see the point of having him on the board, what is his purpose nobody as ever explained his role, i have read about him brokering deals at west ham ,man city etc, trying to find buyers for newcastle and everton but nothing for us, he's just another leech sucking our club dry, i hope he's successful with the utd takeover then may be the parasite will f**k off ,good rid :twisted: dance

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:30 pm

the blue path wrote:if keith harris had put a fraction of the effort he as put in to the red knights venture in to cardiff city i am sure we would have found new owners by now, i really can't see the point of having him on the board, what is his purpose nobody as ever explained his role, i have read about him brokering deals at west ham ,man city etc, trying to find buyers for newcastle and everton but nothing for us, he's just another leech sucking our club dry, i hope he's successful with the utd takeover then may be the parasite will f**k off ,good rid :twisted: dance

He's there to keep Ridsdale in power here. I see no other purpose really

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Wayne S wrote:Although I think it is stupid to throw £1billion at a single club at least the Red Knight Consortium are (supposedly) fans of Manchester United and have asked for the fans backing by getting them to join the Supporters Trust for Free. Over the last few days their number went from 50k to 80k.

I dont think we'll need anywhere near that.

£5m t get the majority of the shares, £8=£10m to pay off the most pressing debts. £2-£5m working capital to make up for budget shortfalls.

THEN you need to
1. Cut costs
2. Negotiate a fair repayment profile with PMG, which can be sorted through the Premier club
3. BEG South Wales to back a board who are local football fans who want the best for the club rather than the best for themselves, and get them buying season tickets, shirts, sponsorchip etc.. in numbers AND quickly.

I would certainly back this if it happened .