Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Hand out to Portsmouth

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:58 am

The Premier League are to pay Portsmouth £32m in advanced parachute and TV payments to allow them to pay the debts and finish the season without going into admin. They will have 9 points deducted and will start next season in the Championship with only Football League money. Tax man gets paid and they have to sell all their high paid players to bring their overheads into line with income.

The Prem won't let them fail to finish the season so that the leagues integrity is maintained. Wish we could get help.

Re: Hand out to Portsmouth

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Sets a dangerous precedent in my opinion. While I hate to see what's happened at Pompey, and wouldn't wish it on any other club, the Premier League have to take a long, hard look at themselves for letting it get to this stage

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:03 pm

so wrong on many levels!!!

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:10 pm

This suggests to me that there a belief that Portsmouth would not only go into administration but be wound up.

HMRC are playing hard ball and the FA have toold them that they will sort it out. The threat of point deductions have done nothing to halt the overspending and non payment of taxes. The FA have therefoore had to step in.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 pm

I think you are right. The HMRC want to make an example and establish a precedent to deter other clubs from taking the "easy" option of Administration to avoid tax debt. Squeaky bum time for all at CCS.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:20 pm

This help might be questionable but at the end of the day it saves a famous football club, so good luck to them.

BTW if Pompey got promoted next year wouldn't they have to pay the second seasons parachute payments of £11m back?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Where do they draw the line over hand outs though? What if other clubs went to them with reasons that they claim are just as justifiable to receive a hand out?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:Where do they draw the line over hand outs though? What if other clubs went to them with reasons that they claim are just as justifiable to receive a hand out?

I reckon this siutation may bring a major change in the rules governing clubs and how they are run. They will bail out Pompey and say, "That is it" no other club will be bailed out.

They may then go down the line of only spending AT MOST your income.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:Where do they draw the line over hand outs though? What if other clubs went to them with reasons that they claim are just as justifiable to receive a hand out?

What about other clubs like Southampton. Its a dangerous move if they do this.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:00 pm

The Rhooster wrote:

I suppose it's slightly different as it's the Premier League bailing them out and not the FA or Football League.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:01 pm

Wayne S wrote:
The Rhooster wrote:

I suppose it's slightly different as it's the Premier League bailing them out and not the FA or Football League.

agreed but lets have the entire league playing on a level field.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:08 pm

The Rhooster wrote:

And, if we're talking Premiership, what about West Ham? They have crippling debts and could be forced the same way as Pompey. Do they get bailed out too? And I'm certain other clubs wil come forward as there are so many of them with huge debts. What about Man United as well? They have massive debts. Will they be treatred differently? No reason that they should if they go to the Premier League for help. Maybe then the Premier League will realise that these clubs huge debts are a problem that they could have prevented if they'd been more vigilant about who buys these clubs and what methids they use to go about buying them

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:12 pm

VBoy wrote:Aern't they the lucky ones. Imagine if they stepped in to help us with giving us future money early?

"Tell you what Cardiff, you can have next year season ticket money early!"
"What, you've already had it?, okay then you can have next years TV money early!"
"Oh so you've mortgaged that as well I see. Tell you what then you can have next years beer money off the bars!"
"Right, so that goes to your mates company."
"Um?"
"Ar?"
"Got it!, I know this bloke who wants to sell a shed load of books in your club shop..." :lol:

"Nope, they're on the pavement. But hang on, I haven't signed the cheque....."