Grujic's Weird Performance?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:31 pm

Grujic’s performance for Cardiff last night was totally weird…
By Jordan Chamberlain

Wednesday 14th February 2018

Cardiff City beat Bolton 2-0 last night, putting them level on points with third placed Derby.

Marko Grujic, on loan from Liverpool until the end of the season, started as the holding midfielder in a 4-3-3, and racked up some quite bizarre stats!

Firstly, he won ALL 15 of his 15 aerial duels. That’s insane for a centre-back, let alone a midfielder.

But the rest of his game feels like it was a little all over the place…

Not only did he only complete 60% of his passes (abysmal for a midfielder), but he had five shots off target, as well!

(Jurgen Klopp would be infuriated to know he was having potshots from outside the area every 15 minutes….)

However, he did complete three tackles, which is a decent defensive contribution considering the headers won, too.

What this kind of performance proves, if anything, is that Klopp was right to assume Grujic too raw at the moment to compete for Liverpool!

He clearly has unbelievable physical traits, but he needs to develop his understanding of the game tenfold.

And a Liverpool midfielder needs 85%+ passing stats, too. But the main thing is he’s getting consistent minutes. We should be grateful to Neil Warnock for that.
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Grujic's Weird Performance?

Postby welshrarebit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:57 pm

All this while thE rest of us thought it was his best performance in a city shirt so far.

Plus - one of his long range shots was pretty close to target.
welshrarebit

Postby langstoneBlue » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:11 pm

Be nice for some comparison, rather than abysmal for a midfielder.

I have to laugh at some of the reports and coverage, I was away with work so was watching Soccer Special. At one point mid way through the second half they asked (Tony Cottee?) how Jamie Ward was doing on his debuts his response was doing well although in and out of the game, no mention of being substituted on 30'mins? I sure most arnt even watching the game just looking at game stats
langstoneBlue

Postby blue lagoon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:12 pm

A lot of people not actually there to witness a good performance. Same role as maniche(???) at utd. Doing the dirt work and keep tge game ticking along.
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Postby bluebird58 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:53 pm

langstoneBlue wrote:Be nice for some comparison, rather than abysmal for a midfielder.

I have to laugh at some of the reports and coverage, I was away with work so was watching Soccer Special. At one point mid way through the second half they asked (Tony Cottee?) how Jamie Ward was doing on his debuts his response was doing well although in and out of the game, no mention of being substituted on 30'mins? I sure most arnt even watching the game just looking at game stats

worse than that - Ward went off on 11 minutes!
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby paulh_85 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:10 pm

It reads like someone who didn’t actually watch the match and just looked at the stats
paulh_85

Postby bluemun » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Grujic was excellent and his partnership with Ralls is beginning to develop. He is so calm on the ball and we need someone like that.
bluemun

Postby AfricanBluebird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:05 pm

It says a lot about the way we play when a central midfielder heads the ball that amount of times.
AfricanBluebird

Postby langstoneBlue » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:21 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:It says a lot about the way we play when a central midfielder heads the ball that amount of times.

Or how Bolton play
langstoneBlue

Postby AfricanBluebird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:55 pm

langstoneBlue wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:It says a lot about the way we play when a central midfielder heads the ball that amount of times.

Or how Bolton play

True. Fair point.
AfricanBluebird

Postby DandoCCFC » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:26 pm

He was terrific and got better as each minute on, spraying 30-60 yard passes out to the wings, remember he sprayed one with the outside of his foot.. just look effortless.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby bluespeers » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:25 pm

welshrarebit wrote:All this while thE rest of us thought it was his best performance in a city shirt so far.

Plus - one of his long range shots was pretty close to target.

I thought he was very comfortable on the ball and played fairly well, but needs to up his game a bit more and get more involved, but positive signs are there :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
bluespeers

Return to General Chat