Glamorgan Cricket

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Glamorgan Cricket

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:04 pm

They are an absolute shambles at the moment

I know they have been trying to promote as many home grown players as they can over the last few years but they are getting hammered virtually every game

Latest debacle 6-3 in the second innings today looking at yet another innings defeat

I don’t really know exactly what is going on at present anyone on here shed some light why it has gone do spectacularly wrong this season??
oohahhPaulMillar

Glamorgan Cricket

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Glamorgan Cricket

Postby Bluebird-in-Jackland » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:29 pm

The top order have been awful the majority of the season. If it wasn’t for the occasional mid order score or the tail having a go it would have been a lot worse. The bowlers have been ok, but they must always feel under pressure after the batting displays.

Whilst I agree with bringing through Home talents, I read an article that we are one of the only if not the only club making profits. Would it not be worth getting some decent overseas players in for a couple of seasons? It wouldn’t break the bank and it would also help the youngsters develop.
Bluebird-in-Jackland

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:The top order have been awful the majority of the season. If it wasn’t for the occasional mid order score or the tail having a go it would have been a lot worse. The bowlers have been ok, but they must always feel under pressure after the batting displays.

Whilst I agree with bringing through Home talents, I read an article that we are one of the only if not the only club making profits. Would it not be worth getting some decent overseas players in for a couple of seasons? It wouldn’t break the bank and it would also help the youngsters develop.

Think they have had fair ammount of overseas players this season but they keep getting injured, get picked for internationals or on short contract so no continuity? Only make money because they don't pay big and get money from ecb, council wrote off couple million loan as well ! Very sorry state of affairs at moment :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby ae15 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:28 pm

It's been a bad mixture of talent too raw, and experienced players becoming too old. The loss of Shaun Marsh to injury has certainly unsettled the side even more in the second half of the season. Hogan's four day captaincy has been very questionable at times.

Few players can hold their head up high. Nick Selman was very promising opening the batting last year, and could do very well next to an experienced head, but has faltered this year. He's had to play the whole season with Jack Murphy being his fellow opener, who has shown signs up promise, scoring pretty regularly around the 25 mark, which isn't bad for a first season opening.

Our openers have been very weak for a number of years, and we need to bring in a quality player to steady the ship early on.

Kiran Carlson has probably been the most promising player this year. Only 20, he's made some decent scores in the 4 day, and flourished at times in the T20.

The bowlers have done okay, Ruaidhri Smith has developed a lot this season, Lukas Carey continues to develop. Timm Van der Gugten has been consistent.

Graham Wagg unfortunately seems to have lost a lot this season, and looks nowhere near the player he was a couple of years ago. Chris Cooke has disappointed too often in the middle order for an experienced player.

Injuries certainly haven't helped. Marchant de Lange and Shaun Marsh would have added a lot through the season.

Two good signings - an opener and a solid middle order batsmen - would help this team flourish in my opinion.

Big questions over Robert Croft now though. Three seasons at the helm and only one finals day to show for it and backwards progress in the Championship. A return for Matthew Maynard looks likely this winter.
ae15

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:43 pm

Latest score 160-8...5th innings defeat of the season on the cards

It’s not that they are losing it’s that’s they are getting hammered

None of the youngsters tried over the last 2 years look anywhere near 1st team material

Not sure where they go from here?? Luckily there is no relegation

Anyone know how many season tickets (memberships) they sold this season ??
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby Bluesman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Close the county cricket team they are shit.
Bluesman

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:06 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Latest score 160-8...5th innings defeat of the season on the cards

It’s not that they are losing it’s that’s they are getting hammered

None of the youngsters tried over the last 2 years look anywhere near 1st team material

Not sure where they go from here?? Luckily there is no relegation

Anyone know how many season tickets (memberships) they sold this season ??

They are about 18 runs ahead now with last man in. :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Watched an interview last month,where the players said that the T20 was their target from the start of the season .
May be because they had nothing else to play for at that point!!! The club are losings games and money each year .
Just to add home Welsh cricketer Aneurin Donald left the club a few weeks ago to join Hampshire.
TopCat CCFC

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:56 pm

Lost again today - 9 Wkts .
TopCat CCFC

Postby Geoff Blue » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:09 am

Followed Glamorgan since the 1950's. They have had some success over the years beating the Aussies twice, but never a prolific side. This season must be their worst on record.Unlucky in one championship match to lose by 3 runs.
Not sure if Robert Croft is the right coach. Maynard was mentioned, is he not already with the club as a coach for the batting!!
Geoff Blue

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Geoff Blue wrote:Followed Glamorgan since the 1950's. They have had some success over the years beating the Aussies twice, but never a prolific side. This season must be their worst on record.Unlucky in one championship match to lose by 3 runs.
Not sure if Robert Croft is the right coach. Maynard was mentioned, is he not already with the club as a coach for the batting!!

Unless he's come back to tbe county ? but he left fairly acramoneously several years ago :old:
pembroke allan

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:10 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Geoff Blue wrote:Followed Glamorgan since the 1950's. They have had some success over the years beating the Aussies twice, but never a prolific side. This season must be their worst on record.Unlucky in one championship match to lose by 3 runs.

Unless he's come back to tbe county ? but he left fairly acramoneously several years ago :old:

I maybe wrong but I believe Maynard came back as batting coach this season (not the most successful appointment it would appear)
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby TopCat CCFC » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:56 pm

Matthew Maynard rejoins Glamorgan as batting consultant ( 8th Nov 2017 ).

Former Glamorgan captain and director of cricket Matthew Maynard is to rejoin the Welsh county as a consultant batting coach.

Maynard will take up a part-time role under head coach Robert Croft.

The 51-year-old will work with both first-team squad members and academy players in the new position.

Maynard left his post as Somerset director of cricket at the end of the 2017 season, after a reorganisation of their coaching structure.

Glamorgan's move to add Maynard to their staff comes after they collected fewer batting points than any other side in Division Two of the Championship in 2017.

He spent 20 years on the county's playing staff, leading them to the 1997 Championship title, and was in charge on the coaching side from 2008 to 2010 before a controversial reshuffle.

The above has been taken fro the BBC NEWS - As dated above .
TopCat CCFC

Postby bluebird12345 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:26 pm

Maybe we could loan out tomlin and pilkington to them
bluebird12345

Postby londonlegal » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:51 am

Money is tight. Some say far too much going into the Chief Executive’s pocket. However he’s focused on improving the financial state of the club: vital work which he’s achieving. However he’s also Director of Cricket so has to bear responsibility there.

Some say Mr Croft has lost the dressing room. However that seems to stem from two things. The batsmen’s constant batting in four dayers like one dayers. Most think they have to attack everything; rather like the England team. Yet they seriously underperformed in their declared focus of the white ball. Secondly his communication then jars a little because the youngsters don’t respond well.

Can’t help but think if he went to a better resourced club we’d see how successful he can be. The move of Donald spoke volumes of the unhappy club where he has been going backwards.

May get worse before it gets better (if it’s not rock bottom now).
londonlegal

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:25 pm

bluebird12345 wrote:Maybe we could loan out tomlin and pilkington to them

;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby TopCat CCFC » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 pm

Lost again yesterday by an Innings and 172 runs ( in under 3 days !! )

Bet they will be glad the season is over soon .
TopCat CCFC

Postby davids » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:49 pm

Fair play they're f*cking shit.

And have been for many years now.
davids

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:59 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:Lost again yesterday by an Innings and 172 runs ( in under 3 days !! )

Bet they will be glad the season is over soon .

I think that is 7 times they have suffered an innings defeat this season

But at least some honesty from captain Michael Hogan after the game saying some of the youngsters are not going to make the grade as professional cricketers
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:53 pm

I See Robert Croft has left the club today after around 30 years at Glamorgan .
TopCat CCFC

Postby dogfound » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:59 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:I See Robert Croft has left the club today after around 30 years at Glamorgan .

I think its been coming.
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:59 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:I See Robert Croft has left the club today after around 30 years at Glamorgan .

I think its been coming.
dogfound

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:29 am

dogfound wrote:

I think its been coming.

They need to spend some decent money before next season

A genuine proven head coach and at least 3 senior players to help take the pressure off the youngsters

But, have they got the money and will they actually spend it???
oohahhPaulMillar

Return to General Chat