COMMENTS APPEAR TO CONFIRM KENNETH ZOHORE'S FALL FROM GRACE

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:18 pm

What Neil Warnock's comments tell us about Kenneth Zohore's fall from grace and Cardiff City's striker situation
By Dominic Booth

Friday 14th September 2018

The issues facing the Bluebirds boss ahead of games against Chelsea and Manchester City

From seemingly stuck with no centre forward options to appearing spoiled for choice, Cardiff City need to find the right formula up front.

Particularly in their next two games against high-flying Chelsea and Manchester City, it's a balancing act for Neil Warnock.

The veteran boss has not been fooled into thinking the striking situation has been resolved — despite scoring two goals and displaying far more attacking verve against Arsenal — and has spoken at length about his options.

With Danny Ward the only Cardiff striker to have netted this season, Bobby Reid looking good in a slightly deeper role but both Kenneth Zohore and Gary Madine struggling, it's worth analysing Warnock's comments in his pre-Chelsea press conference in more detail.

So what do Warnock's comments tell us about...

... who will start up front against Chelsea?

Warnock: "The best strike force is Danny Ward and Bobby Reid at the moment.

“They’ve been improving not just in the games but in training as well and they’re relishing the prospect. They’ve both stepped up when I've asked them."

No nuance there. But can Cardiff afford to play the version of 4-4-2 they fielded against Arsenal? Would that leave the midfield exposed against Jorginho and company?

... why Warnock thinks two strikers could work at Stamford Bridge?

Warnock: “It depends how you look at it. If you look at the stats, Bobby (Reid) covers every blade of grass, 12k or whatever it is that he’s running. So he's quite capable of doing that.

“And he’s such an enthusiastic boy, we love him in training and I think him and Danny are a great partnership.

“Danny has got goals in his locker as well. At the moment, it’s a no-brainer and whether we can get away with that, I’ll know more in the next few weeks because we can't play any better teams really."

Warnock is clearly of the view that Reid operates more as a link between attack and midfield, doing the legwork for Ward to poach goals higher up.

Yet this method is a departure from the normally rigid 4-3-3 that Cardiff played in the Championship — and a blow for Kenneth Zohore who seemed the most comfortable fit to spearhead that system.

It's clear Warnock has been developing a more creative, more attacking tactical gameplan for the Premier League, which is admirable.

... why do Cardiff have to be more attacking?

Warnock: "I made my decision (on the formation for Arsenal) the week before. We'd played three games then and not scored a goal.

"We'd had a few chances, I know, but not as many as I would have liked, and I felt overnight we had to change quickly so that we've got an opportunity to build in the coming games, which we did against Arsenal.

"It's now a bigger challenge to see if we can play against the top teams with a not too dissimilar system. You've still got to tweak one or two things against the top teams because you're not going to see the ball for long periods."

It's obvious, despite Warnock's positive outlook following the three blanks at the start of the season, that he virtually ripped apart his Premier League blueprint and came up with a new approach.

His comments over the past fortnight have suggested he understands the need for more expansive, possession-based football in the top flight. That's the only way Cardiff can survive and the Yorkshireman knows it.

.. who is Warnock's Number One striker? And where does Zohore now stand?

Warnock: "With Danny, it's been like having a new player because he just didn't play last season. He had a hell of an injury and his world was turned upside down to miss that length of time.

“But everything has changed for him. Family-wise as well, he's got a new family.

"And the opportunity to play in the Prem(ier League). I said to him: 'who would have thought 18 months ago when we were changing in not the nicest of dressing rooms at Rotherham that we’d be scoring against Arsenal and managing against Arsenal.

"He's here on merit and I think Danny get can better, as well as Bobby now we're playing him in the right position."

This, strangely, says more about Zohore than it does Ward. Warnock will always back his players and often stay quiet about those who aren't in the good books right now.

Zohore fluffed his lines when presented with starting opportunities against Newcastle and Huddersfield and is most certainly down the pecking order as things stand.

A fortnight ago Warnock admitted he didn't know his first-choice frontman, saying Zohore "theoretically" should be the man. But he's edged away from that argument largely due to Ward and Reid's Arsenal performance.

With no mention of either the Dane or Madine, the two must now be patient and impress Warnock in training to force their way into his plans. Odd how quickly things can change in football, but Zohore is no longer the main man.

... Victor Camarasa's role in the new system?

Warnock: "We look at Victor against Barcelona playing in that role and if you can play that against Barcelona you can play against anyone!

"So my language barrier wasn't too bad talking to Victor about what I wanted him to do.

"He's such a lovely lad and he listens. I thought that enabled us to have a slightly more attacking threat.

"We saw him the week before the season started playing for Real Betis against Bournemouth and we didn't think we'd have any chance of loaning the lad. It just came up.

"And he was so keen to come. His partner had been in Cardiff and loved Cardiff, they've even brought their dogs over!"

These comments put to bed any doubts over Camarasa's role and his importance to Warnock, who is clearly impressed with what he's got.

Camarasa has played the slightly different right-sided central midfield position he was given against Arsenal before — and it showed.

He will be a crucial role in Warnock's new approach, which will be severely tested at Stamford Bridge this weekend.
Attachments
kenneth-zohore-8a01a109-06a4-4f26-95da-fec2c969db9-resize-750.jpeg
kenneth-zohore-8a01a109-06a4-4f26-95da-fec2c969db9-resize-750.jpeg (34.72 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
CAMARASA.jpg
CAMARASA.jpg (37.25 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: COMMENTS APPEAR TO CONFIRM KENNETH ZOHORE'S FALL FROM G

Postby worcester_ccfc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:34 pm

Danny Ward deserves to start. Played well against Arsenal and got a goal. He was also very impressive last season before his injury. Remember his brilliant goal at Forest.

Unfortunately, Kenneth Zohore has had plenty of opportunities this season to take his chance and he hasn’t. Should have scored at least one against Newcastle.

Bobby Reid is a more interesting one, we haven’t seen the best of him yet but I think he’d work well with Ward. If he can rediscover his form from last season, albeit at a higher level, then I think Ward and Reid can be a strong combination.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:03 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Danny Ward deserves to start. Played well against Arsenal and got a goal. He was also very impressive last season before his injury. Remember his brilliant goal at Forest.

Unfortunately, Kenneth Zohore has had plenty of opportunities this season to take his chance and he hasn’t. Should have scored at least one against Newcastle.

Bobby Reid is a more interesting one, we haven’t seen the best of him yet but I think he’d work well with Ward. If he can rediscover his form from last season, albeit at a higher level, then I think Ward and Reid can be a strong combination.

Ned, I agree :thumbright:

Kenneth Zohore certainly fluffed his lines in the Newcastle game and for such a big guy, he can't head the ball. We simply can't afford to miss guilt edged chances this season! :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Danish manager Hareide said a few weeks ago Zahore is used completely wrong in Cardiff. He need to be set up as a target and players bounce of him and have players around him. Now he is just up there all alone. Think i agree with him..
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby Steve Zodiak » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:Danish manager Hareide said a few weeks ago Zahore is used completely wrong in Cardiff. He need to be set up as a target and players bounce of him and have players around him. Now he is just up there all alone. Think i agree with him..

Problem is he must have been used wrongly wherever he has been because he is a striker who does'nt score goals. I think he has his qualities, but scoring goals is not one of them. If I remember correctly, just 9 last season, so not sure how he will equal or even get close to that this season playing against some of the best defenders in the game. We need goals to survive, and in Zohore we seem to have a striker who can't head the ball and fails to find the net. Not sure if he will ever be the answer to our goal scoring problems.
Steve Zodiak

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:31 pm

I still think he is our best striker however for now Ward deserves his place. Newcastle was the chance for Zohore and it didn't quite work although I'm not sure how fit he was. Against Huddersfield it didn't matter who was upfront while Zohore was on the pitch he had no service.

I think the deadline from icwales of a fall from grace is a bit harsh. I'd say more a slow start coming back from injury.
2blue2handle

Postby DandoCCFC » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:38 pm

Think the game against Newcastle was used a tad unfairly against Zohore, yes he had one or two real chances to score and should have done but I think it become a thing where he played really badly which I think wasn't the case, I think the chances shadowed over his whole game which simply wasn't not true.

He caused a lot of problems v Newcastle and showed he can hold the ball up and hold players off and against Newcastle it was clear he was set instructions which is obvious for a club like us to run the channels and hold the ball up dragging people like Lascelles out of position to get people like Ralls, Murphy and Hoilett up the pitch so we had more going forward which he done.

You get the periods with Zohore where he unplayable, scores and also can be very unselfish but then hits a patch but knows his place in the team has been secure because Ward was injured for the second half of the season but I think this is the real kick up the arse he needs and I think when he came on v Arsenal he shown when the going gets tough for him he can find that burst of energy and eagerness to work a bit more.. people thought that with Madine that this would kick up the arse but I think Madine obviously isn't the player to unsettle him but Ward is and it shown v Arsenal.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby RV Casual » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:Danish manager Hareide said a few weeks ago Zahore is used completely wrong in Cardiff. He need to be set up as a target and players bounce of him and have players around him. Now he is just up there all alone. Think i agree with him..

Very kind of him to tell us we play a player wrongly that he doesn't even play himself :lol: :?
RV Casual

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:52 pm

RV Casual wrote:

Very kind of him to tell us we play a player wrongly that he doesn't even play himself :lol: :?

That maybe the case but he's right Ken cannot play upfront with no one within 20yds of him like he's been doing, nor is he at best with ball down channels running himself to ground , he needs balls to his feet with players backing him up, why do you think we played better upfront against arsenal? Because there was two forwards its that simple :old:
pembroke allan

Postby JJ1927 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:13 pm

RV Casual wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Choose Cornelius instead. I know who I would prefer in my squad.
JJ1927

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:16 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

That maybe the case but he's right Ken cannot play upfront with no one within 20yds of him like he's been doing, nor is he at best with ball down channels running himself to ground , he needs balls to his feet with players backing him up, why do you think we played better upfront against arsenal? Because there was two forwards its that simple :old:

I simply think we played better up front against Arsenal because Danny Ward was on the pitch instead of Zohore. We played better up front away to Huddersfield when Ward came on instead of Zohore as well. This is because in my opinion, Danny Ward gives us a lot more up front. He wins more headers, he takes up better positions, he uses the ball better, he makes himself more available and most importantly, he covers more ground and works a lot harder.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:34 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:

Problem is he must have been used wrongly wherever he has been because he is a striker who does'nt score goals. I think he has his qualities, but scoring goals is not one of them. If I remember correctly, just 9 last season, so not sure how he will equal or even get close to that this season playing against some of the best defenders in the game. We need goals to survive, and in Zohore we seem to have a striker who can't head the ball and fails to find the net. Not sure if he will ever be the answer to our goal scoring problems.

He also said Zahore is very good on the head. Dont know if he was referring to his hair or his heading skills. But there is a big differnce how the whole team was set up when Zahore played against Newcastle and what Ward was doing against Arsenal. Zahore was all alone, Ward had players running around him. Im not even trying to explain this to Tonteg :lol:
If people expect a lone striker with no support banging goals, they also need to realize that these are not easy to come by, and cost a lot of money.
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:42 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

He also said Zahore is very good on the head. Dont know if he was referring to his hair or his heading skills. But there is a big differnce how the whole team was set up when Zahore played against Newcastle and what Ward was doing against Arsenal. Zahore was all alone, Ward had players running around him. Im not even trying to explain this to Tonteg :lol:
If people expect a lone striker with no support banging goals, they also need to realize that these are not easy to come by, and cost a lot of money.

It's funny because Ward seemed to have more players around him when he came on against Huddersfield. This is because of his decision making, the positions he picked up and how he used the ball. Ward only had Bobby Reid up front with him against Arsenal, we played 4-4-2 meaning Hoilett and Camarasa had to play deeper in their wide positions. The players didn't magically decide to get closer to Ward, which is what you're suggesting. :lol:
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Like i said El Tontego. No point.. If Zahore is alone up front, he is alone up front. No movement of his will change that, unless he comes down to midfield. Total different games and total different tactics when they played.. Maybe Ward is another spine in the England Squad? Notice i don't hold any of them over the other ;)
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:01 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

It's funny because Ward seemed to have more players around him when he came on against Huddersfield. This is because of his decision making, the positions he picked up and how he used the ball. Ward only had Bobby Reid up front with him against Arsenal, we played 4-4-2 meaning Hoilett and Camarasa had to play deeper in their wide positions. The players didn't magically decide to get closer to Ward, which is what you're suggesting. :lol:

Dead right players didn't magically get close to ward they were instructed to by the manager or coaches to do so? Unless of course they did it themselves which them begs question why didn't players do same for Ken? :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:09 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:Like i said El Tontego. No point.. If Zahore is alone up front, he is alone up front. No movement of his will change that, unless he comes down to midfield. Total different games and total different tactics when they played.. Maybe Ward is another spine in the England Squad? Notice i don't hold any of them over the other ;)

Whatever game and tactics used, a striker playing up top on his own gets judged on his ability to retain possession and bring other players into play. Like I said, Ward's footballing brain in getting himself into positions, making angles so he's available to receive the ball and his overall intelligence using the ball is streets ahead of Zohore. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I see it. Zohore is bigger, quicker and more powerful than Ward, but Ward seems the cleverer, better footballer to me so far this season.

It's frustrating, because I saw Zohore's performance home to Villa last season and he destroyed James Chester and John Terry that day. Zohore ran them both ragged, used his power to bully them and left them trailing behind with his pace. Zohore has all the attributes and he has Ronnie Jepson there to coach him on his game, but I personally think he lets himself down with his attitude and lack of application.

Obviously, I don't expect Zohore to run around like a mad man and waste energy, but he needs to learn when to come short to receive to feet, when to go on the shoulder of the last man for a through ball, when to stay in the centre, when to run the channel, I just think he makes too many wrong decisions with his positioning, which hold him back and make him look way more isolated than he should be. He doesn't seem hungry either and he currently looks very easy to play against because of his current lack of work rate. I find him incredibly frustrating, because I know he can perform so much better.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Scandinavianbluebird wrote:Like i said El Tontego. No point.. If Zahore is alone up front, he is alone up front. No movement of his will change that, unless he comes down to midfield. Total different games and total different tactics when they played.. Maybe Ward is another spine in the England Squad? Notice i don't hold any of them over the other ;)

Whatever game and tactics used, a striker playing up top on his own gets judged on his ability to retain possession and bring other players into play. Like I said, Ward's footballing brain in getting himself into positions, making angles so he's available to receive the ball and his overall intelligence using the ball is streets ahead of Zohore. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I see it. Zohore is bigger, quicker and more powerful than Ward, but Ward seems the cleverer, better footballer to me so far this season.

It's frustrating, because I saw Zohore's performance home to Villa last season and he destroyed James Chester and John Terry that day. Zohore ran them both ragged, used his power to bully them and left them trailing behind with his pace. Zohore has all the attributes and he has Ronnie Jepson there to coach him on his game, but I personally think he lets himself down with his attitude and lack of application.

Obviously, I don't expect Zohore to run around like a mad man and waste energy, but he needs to learn when to come short to receive to feet, when to go on the shoulder of the last man for a through ball, when to stay in the centre, when to run the channel, I just think he makes too many wrong decisions with his positioning, which hold him back and make him look way more isolated than he should be. He doesn't seem hungry either and he currently looks very easy to play against because of his current lack of work rate. I find him incredibly frustrating, because I know he can perform so much better.

Im not sure what to think of him myself. Ive seen him hold up the ball and make runs like anyone, and other times look like a lost puppy. But that often comes down to team balance, as the whole team can look awful at times when not in balance. Now that we got Arter, i think we can be more dynamic up front and risk more with runs around the striker and try to feed of him. But when it comes to games like tomorrow, i tend to agree with Blakey. Play Reid up front. Apart from that, its even steven for me.. But no doubt Zahore has the biggest talent. Playing two up front tomorrow will get us murdered though. I know you think football in straight lines and me in triangels El Tontego. But that is part of the fun ;)
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

I simply think we played better up front against Arsenal because Danny Ward was on the pitch instead of Zohore. We played better up front away to Huddersfield when Ward came on instead of Zohore as well. This is because in my opinion, Danny Ward gives us a lot more up front. He wins more headers, he takes up better positions, he uses the ball better, he makes himself more available and most importantly, he covers more ground and works a lot harder.

Against Huddersfield we gave Zohore nothing, I've never seen a game where we have given the striker nothing, we could hardly play a long ball near him and he had to come wide to get it. .Ward did better when he came in because we had an extra player and midfield finally started to use the ball.

If zohore had started against Arsenal I have little doubt he would have played better than he did previously. However Ward started and did well and no deserves his place.
2blue2handle

Postby dogfound » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

you do know that Huddersfield had a player sent off...?

and for the entire time they had 11 we could barely get out of our half let alone get the ball to Ken..
dogfound

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:20 am

dogfound wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

you do know that Huddersfield had a player sent off...?

and for the entire time they had 11 we could barely get out of our half let alone get the ball to Ken..

You do know Huddersfield had a player sent off AFTER Ward came on? Ward instantly made a difference and Ward actually pressured their defender into giving away our corner which led to Huddersfield’s sending off...
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:44 am

Hogg was sent off 4 minutes after Ward came on.
2blue2handle

Return to General Chat