EXCLUSIVE: NEIL WARNOCK FACES 'VENDETTA' OVER AGENT LINKS

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:12 am

Neil Warnock exclusive: "I've faced a vendetta over my links to Emiliano Sala agent"
By Tom Morgan

Sunday 10th February 2019

Neil Warnock says he has fallen victim to a "vendetta" over his links with the controversial businessman involved in the Emiliano Sala tragedy

In his most candid interview since Sala was killed in a plane crash, Warnock claims he had no choice but to use Willie McKay's help in signing Sala from Nantes for £15 million. The Cardiff City manager told The Sunday Telegraph he had been "putting on a front" to give the impression he was coping with criticism and rumours around the disastrous deal.

“It’s been bad, really bad behind the scenes" he said.

McKay, who unregistered with the Football Association, has faced scrutiny over his business dealings after he confirmed making the arrangements for Sala's doomed flight. The Monaco-based intermediary, who was declared bankrupt in 2015, has voluntarily disclosed details of how he muscled in on the Sala deal in January and planted fake stories to create a "buzz".

Warnock said of their relationship: "It’s suggested I am big pals with Willie McKay. Am I? I don’t think I am. He is an agent. You need these agents if you want to do a deal."

McKay's operation in bringing players from France to the Premier League is likely to eventually fall foul of tough new rules under consideration at FIFA, The Telegraph understands.

Greg Clarke, the FA chairman, refused to comment on the Sala case, but has confirmed he is working closely with FIFA on tougher curbs to ensure intermediaries are held to account.

"I'm a big fan of making sure that the agents are regulated properly, and that the market is transparent and clean and conforms to best practice," he said. "I am sure most agents would want that too."

Clarke will have increasing influence after being elected this week as vice-president at FIFA, which is considering a "clearing house" to scrutinise all transfers. The FA, he said, wants "sensible rules in place, drafted in conjunction with the players, FIFPro, the PFA and others that protect everybody. A transparent set of rules, a compliant set of rules, that is then adopted globally."

Warnock signed two of McKay's sons last year and had also used his services to sign Sol Bamba for free. The manager categorically denies the suggestion, however, that the Sala deal took place because of their relationship.

“I have been involved with three players with Willie McKay in the last eight years," he said. "One of them has been a free transfer who has proved to be our star player and one of the best in the Premier League, so you can’t knock it. It's disgusting that a lot more has been suggested, but Cardiff have dealt with these agents long before I arrived at the club.

“Ask anyone in the game, if you want a player from France or a French player, 99 per cent of the time you will have to deal with Willie McKay or someone like him. If you want to get the job done, then you need the Willie McKays of this world."

On Jan 8 - two weeks before the striker's death - McKay sent an email introducing himself to Sala, saying he would be able to get £1m for his mother if he signed for Cardiff.

When approached by The Telegraph over the deal, McKay has been repeatedly abusive. Warnock said: "Someone suggested that if I went to Sala’s funeral that Willie McKay would be standing alongside me. That was just distasteful.”

The 70-year-old added: “There has been a vendetta in some quarters, of that I am sure, and our chairman has told me he doesn’t want me to reply to them as it would destabilise the club."

Warnock, whose wife Sharon has been recovering after cancer treatment, said the timing of the tragedy has been particularly hard for his family. "It has been terrible at home, the emotion of it all," he said. "I am sure everyone knows how I have also suffered for the last couple of years with Sharon’s illness."
Attachments
Neil Warnock.jpg
Neil Warnock.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: NEIL WARNOCK FACES 'VENDETTA' OVER AGENT LINK

Postby Savigma » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:30 am

Sven wrote:Neil Warnock exclusive: "I've faced a vendetta over my links to Emiliano Sala agent"
By Tom Morgan

Neil Warnock says he has fallen victim to a "vendetta" over his links with the controversial businessman involved in the Emiliano Sala tragedy

In his most candid interview since Sala was killed in a plane crash, Warnock claims he had no choice but to use Willie McKay's help in signing Sala from Nantes for £15 million. The Cardiff City manager told The Sunday Telegraph he had been "putting on a front" to give the impression he was coping with criticism and rumours around the disastrous deal.

McKay, who unregistered with the Football Association, has faced scrutiny over his business dealings after he confirmed making the arrangements for Sala's doomed flight. The Monaco-based intermediary, who was declared bankrupt in 2015, has voluntarily disclosed details of how he muscled in on the Sala deal in January and planted fake stories to create a "buzz".

Warnock said of their relationship: "It’s suggested I am big pals with Willie McKay. Am I? I don’t think I am. He is an agent. You need these agents if you want to do a deal."

McKay's operation in bringing players from France to the Premier League is likely to eventually fall foul of tough new rules under consideration at FIFA, The Telegraph understands.

Greg Clarke, the FA chairman, refused to comment on the Sala case, but has confirmed he is working closely with FIFA on tougher curbs to ensure intermediaries are held to account.

"I'm a big fan of making sure that the agents are regulated properly, and that the market is transparent and clean and conforms to best practice," he said. "I am sure most agents would want that too."

Clarke will have increasing influence after being elected this week as vice-president at FIFA, which is considering a "clearing house" to scrutinise all transfers. The FA, he said, wants "sensible rules in place, drafted in conjunction with the players, FIFPro, the PFA and others that protect everybody. A transparent set of rules, a compliant set of rules, that is then adopted globally."

Warnock signed two of McKay's sons last year and had also used his services to sign Sol Bamba for free. The manager categorically denies the suggestion, however, that the Sala deal took place because of their relationship.

“I have been involved with three players with Willie McKay in the last eight years," he said. "One of them has been a free transfer who has proved to be our star player and one of the best in the Premier League, so you can’t knock it. It's disgusting that a lot more has been suggested, but Cardiff have dealt with these agents long before I arrived at the club.

“Ask anyone in the game, if you want a player from France or a French player, 99 per cent of the time you will have to deal with Willie McKay or someone like him. If you want to get the job done, then you need the Willie McKays of this world."

On Jan 8 - two weeks before the striker's death - McKay sent an email introducing himself to Sala, saying he would be able to get £1m for his mother if he signed for Cardiff.

When approached by The Telegraph over the deal, McKay has been repeatedly abusive. Warnock said: "Someone suggested that if I went to Sala’s funeral that Willie McKay would be standing alongside me. That was just distasteful.”

The 70-year-old added: “There has been a vendetta in some quarters, of that I am sure, and our chairman has told me he doesn’t want me to reply to them as it would destabilise the club."

Warnock, whose wife Sharon has been recovering after cancer treatment, said the timing of the tragedy has been particularly hard for his family. "It has been terrible at home, the emotion of it all," he said. "I am sure everyone knows how I have also suffered for the last couple of years with Sharon’s illness."

Sorry but I haven't read past the first sentence. Why are you giving articles that claim Emiliano was (and I quote) "killed" any sort of attention.

Come on...
Savigma

Postby CasualClive » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:23 am

Savigma wrote:
Sven wrote:Neil Warnock exclusive: "I've faced a vendetta over my links to Emiliano Sala agent"
By Tom Morgan

Sorry but I haven't read past the first sentence. Why are you giving articles that claim Emiliano was (and I quote) "killed" any sort of attention.

Come on...

He was killed. It may not have been murder but he was killed!
CasualClive

Postby Lengee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:52 am

I am glad that Warnock has made a statement to a fairly reputable newspaper. I am glad it is short and that he has appeared to distance himself from Mr Mckay. I expressed concerns about this (sub) agent from the outset. I have been worried that Neil Warnock might get embroiled in things especially as we had his 2 sons on our books!
In accidents there is something called the domino theory. There are a number of things that go wrong and if you remove one (ie a domino) then it prevents the chain reaction) . The journey arrangements appear to have been key factors. (Plane, weather conditions and pilot). They appear to have been poorly "arranged" and perhaps cost was out before safety. Neil Warnock appears to be saying that he was not involved in such arrangements.
Let's hope the pilots body is found and we can now let the investigations continue and await the findings.
Lengee

Postby Sven » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Savigma wrote:
By Tom Morgan

Come on...

You again? :roll: :oops:

This makes it a double 'faux pas' and I refer to my earlier comment where you need to read more to gain proper knowledge ;)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=205023
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby valleyrambill » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Sad Warnock has little bad press but most of the football world are praising Warnock and our club in how dignifying we have been through all this.

Sky BT Sport Radio 5 and Talk sport all pundits praising Warnock and the club sadly there are low lifes out there who will try and put negatives to us but they can all f**k off and rot in hell
[color=#0040BF][/color]
valleyrambill

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:41 pm

I'm sure I will get the ”svenism” on my back asking this. But why did we sign this agent kids? It's not like they are any good, is it?
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby angelis1949 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:44 pm

I had no idea of the close connection between Warnock and Salas agent also Warnock sanctioned the signing of the agents son only to send him out on loan just after the Sala tradgey,it seems to me there are questions to be asked and answered or this whole buisness could fester
angelis1949

Postby dogfound » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:15 pm

angelis1949 wrote:I had no idea of the close connection between Warnock and Salas agent also Warnock sanctioned the signing of the agents son only to send him out on loan just after the Sala tradgey,it seems to me there are questions to be asked and answered or this whole buisness could fester

yes there are questions that most of us would like the answers to.

those 2 boys going on loan are not one of them.
how can anyone think there is anything wrong/strange in getting 2 young men { who are footballers irrelevant of how good or not good some might think they are } away from a situation that is very toxic towards their family . would imagine the boys, their family and our club all thought it for the best.
dogfound

Postby Taffrocker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:28 pm

I was told Warnock had been clever getting the agents sons on our books. Meant the agent would be more likely to offer us decent players. To me, that’s fair enough, and a clever move.
Taffrocker

Postby Taffrocker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:30 pm

And yes, I understand why we needed to loan them out.
People will blame the son for being involved in arranging the plane, and also we don’t want any connection to this agent anymore now some of the truth of how he operates has come out.
Taffrocker

Postby snoopystorm » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:31 pm

Can’t see how 3 deals in 8 years is a close connection unless you mean that McKays boys are on the books at the club...

Think the best decision was to let them go out on loan with everything that has happened
Once a Bluebird, Always a bluebird
snoopystorm

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:44 pm

Taffrocker wrote:And yes, I understand why we needed to loan them out.
People will blame the son for being involved in arranging the plane, and also we don’t want any connection to this agent anymore now some of the truth of how he operates has come out.

Why would anyone blame the son? What is rather strange is why his father didn't send the text's himself. And it really is strange we signed them boys in the first place. Either someone don't know their head from their ass ( from what I have read on their merits and ability) signing them, or there where alternative motives. Valid questions.
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby Taffrocker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:49 pm

They signed the sons so the father was more likely to want to help us out with players. Shrewd I thought.
Taffrocker

Postby Sven » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 am

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:I'm sure I will get the ”svenism” on my back asking this. But why did we sign this agent kids? It's not like they are any good, is it?

Svenism? :? Oh dear, that one again; how original you are! :lol: :oops:

What an odd comment to make! it's a reasonable question to ask, so why would I get on your back, ScandinavianTroll? :roll:

As an answer to the reasonable part of your post, it is unclear as to why they were signed other than maybe 'to give them an opportunity' and to curry favour?

But I'm guessing you'll already know that as you suggest you've seen them both play judging by your comment "It's not like they're any good, is it?" :thumbright:
Sven

Postby northernbluebird » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 pm

the problem with agents isn't complicated, it is simply that they have a conflict of interest if they are supposed to be representing one party but are paid by another (or more than one).

if they are representing the player, their only fee should be from the player, simple. anything other than this and there is a conflict.
northernbluebird

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 pm

northernbluebird wrote:the problem with agents isn't complicated, it is simply that they have a conflict of interest if they are supposed to be representing one party but are paid by another (or more than one).

if they are representing the player, their only fee should be from the player, simple. anything other than this and there is a conflict.

Hmm. Not unlike FIFA and UEFA. Difficult trade fotball is..
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby northernbluebird » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:
northernbluebird wrote:the problem with agents isn't complicated, it is simply that they have a conflict of interest if they are supposed to be representing one party but are paid by another (or more than one).

not sure what you're saying.

but people consistently misunderstand the problem with agents is not the fees they charge (because it should be up to the player to determine how much the services are worth, because he should be the one paying him), but the conflict of interests.
northernbluebird

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:55 pm

northernbluebird wrote:
Scandinavianbluebird wrote:

not sure what you're saying.

but people consistently misunderstand the problem with agents is not the fees they charge (because it should be up to the player to determine how much the services are worth, because he should be the one paying him), but the conflict of interests.

I am saying it's a dodgy business. From the very top to bottom. There is a lot of money doing rounds. And where there is money.. Sepp Blatter. World cup moves to Christmas due temperatures in Quatar. The Platini saga. Football leaks. Tv money. Territory among agents. It's become a dirty business.
Scandinavianbluebird

Return to General Chat