Swansea City fans march against American owners

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Swansea City fans march against American owners

Postby CF31 Company » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:39 am

I recall when they came down to play us it must have been one of the first championship derbys. And a lot of them had fake £ notes with Risdales head on them. They also took great delight by waving anything orange in the air following our play off defeat to Blackpool. So I have got any sympathy for them?

Well yes I have actually as I was brought up to to mock any body less fortunate than ourselves

UP THE CITY!

:bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
CF31 Company

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:54 am

northernbluebird wrote:american owners know that in order to make money in this business you have to control your costs.

when done 'correctly' (note that excellent financial performance does not always mean excellent football results - see arsenal, man utd) , it results in huge payoffs. problem is that they expect swansea to fund itself, without putting in a penny in themselves. they are a small club, with modest support, in an economically depressed region, so good luck with that.

with attendances down this year by about 3000, that's about £1-1.5m less ticket receipts too.

diddums.

Well put. When we came down in 2014 there was massive cost cutting with numerous players leaving with contractual pay offs. It wasn't popular at the time and it took us years to recover and we still carry a legacy of debt from those days.

They have to learn there is no magic money tree outside of the Premier League and owners even if they wanted to can't bail clubs out anymore.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:58 am

CF31 Company wrote:I recall when they came down to play us it must have been one of the first championship derbys. And a lot of them had fake £ notes with Risdales head on them. They also took great delight by waving anything orange in the air following our play off defeat to Blackpool. So I have got any sympathy for them?

Well yes I have actually as I was brought up to to mock any body less fortunate than ourselves

UP THE CITY!

TBH if you can't take banter then you shouldn't give it. I don't blame the Jacks for taking the piss when we were on our knees but like you I have absolutely no sympathy for them now :occasion5:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby since64 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:23 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
CF31 Company wrote:I recall when they came down to play us it must have been one of the first championship derbys. And a lot of them had fake £ notes with Risdales head on them. They also took great delight by waving anything orange in the air following our play off defeat to Blackpool. So I have got any sympathy for them?

UP THE CITY!

TBH if you can't take banter then you shouldn't give it. I don't blame the Jacks for taking the piss when we were on our knees but like you I have absolutely no sympathy for them now :occasion5:

Me neither but l hope they don’t fall too far ,if at all as long as they are below us,the rivalry is so important for Welsh football,banter that comes from rivalry is good,enemies whenever we play them yes , but only then,the real enemy of football in Wales comes from the rugger lot who would love to see us and the Jacks return to the days in the dungeon
since64

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:53 pm

300? Is that a real 300 or exaggerated like our 1500 who marched against Tan?
maccydee

Postby northernbluebird » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:01 pm

northernbluebird wrote:american owners know that in order to make money in this business you have to control your costs.

when done 'correctly' (note that excellent financial performance does not always mean excellent football results - see arsenal, man utd) , it results in huge payoffs. problem is that they expect swansea to fund itself, without putting in a penny in themselves. they are a small club, with modest support, in an economically depressed region, so good luck with that.

with attendances down this year by about 3000, that's about £1-1.5m less ticket receipts too.

diddums.

Well put. When we came down in 2014 there was massive cost cutting with numerous players leaving with contractual pay offs. It wasn't popular at the time and it took us years to recover and we still carry a legacy of debt from those days.

They have to learn there is no magic money tree outside of the Premier League and owners even if they wanted to can't bail clubs out anymore.

the problem is that in our case, we were heading for league 1 with the level of cost cutting. you have to spend money if you want to bounce back. operating on a championship budget in most cases means at best mid table, and at worst, relegation.

warnock managed to turn things around when he arrived and this has papered over the cracks. that's why in my view he is the best championship manager in history. when he leaves, my expectation is that the best we can hope for is mid table championship, if we operate on a similar budget to what warnock had in the championship.
northernbluebird

Postby Wayne S » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:30 pm

Unfortunately for them, this season's crowds are artificially high as many of the season ticket holders would have bought while they still had a chance of survival.

Next season will show the real level of support and the Americans will again need to cut their cloth accordingly.
Wayne S

Postby nubbsy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:52 pm

Embarrassing little stain of a club
nubbsy

Postby nubbsy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:54 pm

maccydee wrote:300? Is that a real 300 or exaggerated like our 1500 who marched against Tan?

I was there, there were thousands. It was against the rebrand, we stood up for our club whilst unfortunately many people including yourself rolled over.
nubbsy

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:56 pm

nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:300? Is that a real 300 or exaggerated like our 1500 who marched against Tan?

I was there, there were thousands. It was against the rebrand, we stood up for our club whilst unfortunately many people including yourself rolled over.

Yep and thousands would never come again while Tan was owner.

Funny that.
maccydee

Postby dogfound » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:31 pm

northernbluebird wrote:

diddums.

the problem is that in our case, we were heading for league 1 with the level of cost cutting. you have to spend money if you want to bounce back. operating on a championship budget in most cases means at best mid table, and at worst, relegation.

warnock managed to turn things around when he arrived and this has papered over the cracks. that's why in my view he is the best championship manager in history. when he leaves, my expectation is that the best we can hope for is mid table championship, if we operate on a similar budget to what warnock had in the championship.

we were heading for league 1 under Trollope and Warnock turned that on its head, true. but to suggest { which I think your post does } that it was down to cost cutting is wrong.

we signed Immers and Zohore who had been here on loan for what are substantial fees for a championship club along with Emyr Huws and Lambert for 7 figure amounts, swapped Malone for Jazz { which was an upgrade in that we payed jazz a heck of a lot more in wages } brought in bennet in the face of competition and Amos on loan { 18k a wk } ..
dogfound

Postby Wayne S » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:35 pm

maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Yep and thousands would never come again while Tan was owner.

Funny that.

Why is this a thing?

All done and dusted, all over with, we are as one as we have ever been. Let's just embrace it.
Wayne S

Postby dogfound » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:13 pm

Wayne S wrote:Unfortunately for them, this season's crowds are artificially high as many of the season ticket holders would have bought while they still had a chance of survival.

Next season will show the real level of support and the Americans will again need to cut their cloth accordingly.

yep, boycotting is self defeating in football .
dogfound

Postby Bluebina » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 am

BiglicksMcGoo wrote:The Yank's must be terrified by the weight of numbers protesting right there, they'll surely give up on the millions still left to wring dry from Swansea Town now, that's for sure....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:
Pathetic attempt !!!

Loving the fact they are struggling and crying, good enough for the rats !!!
Bluebina

Postby northernbluebird » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:18 pm

nubbsy wrote:

sorry, that's garbage. it might be true for you, and i don't want to flog a dead horse, but most were 'boycotting' crap football, not red.

this is shown by the fact our stadium was packed when we were in the premier league. most renewed for the championship season because we had a chance of staying up at the time, and then at some point IIRC the 5 year price freeze tickets came to an end, which led to another load not renewing.

we are certainly bigger than swansea, but our crowds would also plateau to about 15-16k if we had a couple of years of mid table mediocrity in the championship.
northernbluebird

Previous

Return to General Chat