Jack Grealish: Birmingham City fan jailed for pitch attack

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: UPDATED:FAN GETS JAIL/ ASSAULT & PITCH INVASION /VIDEO

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Birmingham & Black Country

Breaking:Jack Grealish: Birmingham City fan jailed for pitch attack

Monday 11th March 2019

Jack Grealish was attacked from behind by Paul Mitchell

A Birmingham City fan has been jailed for 14 weeks for attacking Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish during the second city derby.
Paul Mitchell, of Rubery, Worcestershire, hit Grealish from behind on the pitch about 10 minutes into Sunday's game.
Mitchell, 27, admitted assault and encroachment on to the pitch at Birmingham Magistrates' Court earlier.

He "cannot explain what came over him yesterday morning", his solicitor said.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Re: UPDATED:FAN GETS JAIL/ ASSAULT & PITCH INVASION /VIDEO

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Jack Grealish: Birmingham City fan jailed for pitch atta

Postby epping blue » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 pm

How the hell did he only get 14 weeks for that. No consistency in sentencing of football violence offences.
epping blue

Postby WelshPatriot » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:00 pm

I know I'm going back in time but the courts are a joke, am I to seriously believe that throwing a plastic police cone at opposition fans (Chelsea vs Cardiff) warrants a longer custodial sentence than a fan entering the field of play (illegal) and sucked punching a player from behind (assault).
WelshPatriot

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Jack Grealish: Birmingham City fan jailed for 14 weeks for attacking Aston Villa footballer

Breaking: SKY NEWS

The court hears Paul Mitchell decided to run on to the pitch for a "joke", as his mother breaks down in tears during the hearing.

Monday 11 March 2019

Jack Grealish attacked

Fan invades the pitch and attacks Aston Villa's Jack Grealish
Sky News

A Birmingham City fan has been jailed for attacking Aston Villa footballer Jack Grealish on the pitch.

Paul Mitchell, 27, pleaded guilty at Birmingham Magistrates' Court to assault and a charge of encroaching on to the playing surface during Sunday's derby match.

He was sentenced to 14 weeks in jail and given a 10-year football banning order. Birmingham City had already said the father-of-one will be banned for life from their stadium.

Grealish was punched by Mitchell less than 10 minutes into the live-televised game at Birmingham's St Andrew's ground.

Despite the assault, the Villa captain went on to score the game's only goal.

The court heard Mitchell decided to run on to the pitch for a "joke" and claimed not to have been drunk when he launched the on-field attack.

The pub worker, from Rubery in Worcestershire, allegedly told police he thought Grealish "was a k***".

In a statement read to the court, Grealish, 23, said: "I cannot help but feel how lucky I was in this incident.

Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish attacked by spectator in derby at Birmingham City.

Grealish says he feels 'lucky' after the incident

"It could have so much worse had the supporter had some sort of weapon."

Prosecutor Jonathan Purser told the court that Grealish felt "lasting pain" but suffered no "substantial injury" from the punch to his jaw.

The footballer was surprised at how easily Mitchell was able to run on to the pitch, Mr Purser added.

Vaughn Whistance, Mitchell's lawyer, told the court on Monday: "He cannot explain what came over him yesterday morning. His initial foolish intention was to just go onto the pitch and whip up the crowd.

"He has brought shame upon himself and his family... and the football club he has supported since he was a child.

"He apologises to Aston Villa and in particular Jack Grealish for his terrible behaviour.

"He is certainly remorseful today."

Mr Whistance said that Mitchell's family had been receiving abuse online after the incident and had been forced to move.

The defendant's mother broke down in tears as she sat with his father in the public gallery during the hearing.

Mitchell was ordered to pay £100 to Grealish as compensation for the pain, discomfort and shock caused by the assault.

He was also hit with a £115 victim surcharge and £135 in prosecution costs - and given a fortnight to pay the total sum of £350.

Meanwhile, a man has been charged with assault after an Arsenal fan ran on to the pitch at the Emirates Stadium and allegedly shoved Manchester United defender Chris Smalling.

Gary Cooper, 30, of Styventon Place in Chertsey, Surrey, was arrested on Sunday and will appear at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court in north London on Friday.

He has been charged with common assault and going on to the playing area, the Metropolitan Police said.
Attachments
skynews-jack-grealish-football_4603528.jpg
skynews-jack-grealish-football_4603528.jpg (102.48 KiB) Viewed 2312 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Re: Birmingham fan attacks villa player

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:02 pm

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Wider problem i feel is players and managers getting involved with fans after a goal? They should stay on pitch not do what grealish just did go into crowd after scoring, result a villa fan was forcefully taken away by police!

players have ran to the fans forever,

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ca ... &FORM=VIRE

not keen on knee jerk reactions that make it more and more sterilised.
was at the Den when a tw*t attacked Dwyer 40 odd years ago , its just the odd idiot.

Yes but times are different stewarding far more robust! This board as complained repeatedly about our stewards and their actions ? Weve seen incidents with monk and Wagner because wagner went in monks tech area, even had clopp running on pitch!!! Like said grealish almost caused further trouble and its about time fa stepped in before someone gets badly hurt after all there is nothing stopping fans getting crushed is there?
pembroke allan

Postby Bluebina » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:24 pm

14 weeks isn't very much for that !!!

I thought they would have gone to town on him, made up a new law found some drugs or something???
Last edited by Bluebina on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:25 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:I know I'm going back in time but the courts are a joke, am I to seriously believe that throwing a plastic police cone at opposition fans (Chelsea vs Cardiff) warrants a longer custodial sentence than a fan entering the field of play (illegal) and sucked punching a player from behind (assault).

Exactly ???

This doesn't make sense ???
Bluebina

Re: VIDEO: Birmingham fan attacks villa player

Postby Bluebina » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:27 pm

CityBlue93 wrote:
actionman wrote:All jokes aside what if he had a knife.

'If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle' springs to mind

Hmmmmmm not in this day and age, it would depend on how she/he identified him or herself, but that's another story :thumbup:
Bluebina

Re: Grealish gets punched

Postby Bluebina » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:31 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
BluebirdForever wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:http://www.skysports.com/share/11660885

More of a slight shove really, but of course he went down as if he'd been shot - probably thinking a player had touched him and wanting a penalty .
You can't condone this sort of thing, but I must say ...if ever anyone wanted punching ....

You’d define that as a ‘slight shove’? When have you ever clenched your fist and swung your arm to ‘slightly shove’ anything?

Well when I was that age to be honest that would hardly have been considered a shove. Perhaps we could call it an attempted bitch slap ? There was no weight in it even if it'd connected.
I mean, as I said,we can't condone the behaviour but it wasn't exactly a vicious assault.
Since we're on the subject, I find it very very strange that young fit men on a football pitch go down when they get slightly touched - I know they're putting it on to try and get penalties and so on, but why does anyone, especially referees, take them seriously ?
You'd think a professional athlete would be able to take a bit of a knock without it effecting them much. Mind you, I did once hit Lou Macarri , ( after he tried to hit me by the way and not on a football field), and he did actually have the upper body strength of a girl, so maybe my assumption is wrong.

I don't know, if he had caught him in the side of the jaw, when he didn't see it coming he could have done some damage and it would have been a shock, but he did go flying from the push, probably can't help it pre-programmed to go down like a sack of shit at the slightest touch.
Bluebina

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:41 pm

dogfound wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
dogfound wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
BluebirdForever wrote:

More of a slight shove really, but of course he went down as if he'd been shot - probably thinking a player had touched him and wanting a penalty .
You can't condone this sort of thing, but I must say ...if ever anyone wanted punching ....

You’d define that as a ‘slight shove’? When have you ever clenched your fist and swung your arm to ‘slightly shove’ anything?

Well when I was that age to be honest that would hardly have been considered a shove. Perhaps we could call it an attempted bitch slap ? There was no weight in it even if it'd connected.
I mean, as I said,we can't condone the behaviour but it wasn't exactly a vicious assault.
Since we're on the subject, I find it very very strange that young fit men on a football pitch go down when they get slightly touched - I know they're putting it on to try and get penalties and so on, but why does anyone, especially referees, take them seriously ?
You'd think a professional athlete would be able to take a bit of a knock without it effecting them much. Mind you, I did once hit Lou Macarri , ( after he tried to hit me by the way and not on a football field), and he did actually have the upper body strength of a girl, so maybe my assumption is wrong.

was a cowardly punch from behind and Grealish was fortunate as intent was there. thats what it was called outside of your dream world 50 years ago and still today...

Well, there you go then. It's perhaps a matter of concern because the nutter got onto the field and it was therefore possible that a more serious assault could have happened . It wasn't in itself a serious assault though and if you think that was an act of serious violence you must have led a sheltered life, which I'm glad about. It wasn't a punch though, it was a flailing swing with no force and only the weight of his arm behind it - and it missed anyway !
That wouldn't have put a normal man down and I think Grealish thought another player had bumped into him and went into full drama mode. Again, I don't condone it because it's public disorder, but a nasty assault it wasn't .

nothing to do with sheltered lives { i know you like to deflect this at every opportunity to mask your own life in the basement } .but everything to do with intent and right and wrong which clearly you need outside influence to grasp.
Grealish was fortunate in that the idiots left arm actually makes contact first pushing him away from idiots right handed punch..

if you do not know anyone who has been seriously injured or worse by one of these cowardly attacks and have your news papers censored good for you.

but did this clown attack Grealish from behind with the intention of harm ? if yes its nasty..

Yes, you make some excellent points . Yes I have some vague recollection of the word " intent".. Don't they sometimes call that mens rea? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere you know. Now I think of it, I remember one of the mice in the basement here telling me that what I believe he called the "Offences against the Person Act" , makes no distinction regarding common assault or section 47 assault upon intent.
Now, it's hard for me to keep up with you on complex matters like this, but I think Rupert, ( that was the mouse's name) told me that intent only comes into it with Section 18 or Section 20 offences. What was it he called them now .. grevious bodily harm was it ?

I mean, I don't know - you've obviously got some experience and expertise in the law , so I shouldn't really contradict you on legal matters in case I sound like a stupid tw*t or anything.

Anyway, yes I do also seem to recall seeing quite a lot of people injured or worse - quite a lot worse actually ,and all sorts of quite unpleasant mayhem and dismemberments, so I must be quite honest, I probably didn't fully appreciate the shock and dismay you must have suffered having witnessed this terrifying onslaught, albeit on YouTube .
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Bluebina wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
BluebirdForever wrote:

I don't know, if he had caught him in the side of the jaw, when he didn't see it coming he could have done some damage and it would have been a shock, but he did go flying from the push, probably can't help it pre-programmed to go down like a sack of shit at the slightest touch.

Yeah exactly . To be honest I can't see that blow having caused any damage, although you at right that if you're not expecting it you can get conceivably your jaw broken.
It was what it was really, some sad little pisshead making a half arsed lunge at someone. He deserves to be nicked and the sentence seems about right, but more on the public order side than the actual violence perpetrated .
I think it raises security questions, but I also think some people are reacting hysterically to the thing.
SirJimmySchoular

Re: trouble at brum

Postby nubbsy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:31 pm

CityBlue93 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
CityBlue93 wrote:https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1104717324622405637 :laughing5:

Not really funny though is it

You're right, I wish Grealish a speedy recovery... Idiotic Brum fan coming on the pitch, swinging the worst timed arm flap I've ever seen at Grealish, nobody got hurt and the fan will rightly do time for it but not exactly something you can't joke about is it?

The little prick only got a clip round the ear, it might do him some good.
nubbsy

Postby llan bluebird » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:41 pm

I am genuinely surprised by the leniency of the sentence. Not in anyway an expert (in anyway shape or form) but in my view this is far worse than having a pint in the Cornwall when fans hell bent on trouble attack you. But didn't those guys have some hefty sentences ?
llan bluebird

Postby CF23 Bluebird » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:22 pm

Whether Grealish is a p@@@@ or not that cannot excuse what that idiot did. All of you saying it was only a sucker punch. Would you be saying the same if it happened to one of our players?
CF23 Bluebird

Postby AV3 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:26 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I am genuinely surprised by the leniency of the sentence. Not in anyway an expert (in anyway shape or form) but in my view this is far worse than having a pint in the Cornwall when fans hell bent on trouble attack you. But didn't those guys have some hefty sentences ?

& remember, some of the Villa fans sentenced went nowhere near the pub and still got 9 months.

I too am shocked at the leniency. The big difference is that because of the amount of people involved at the Cornwall, the police were able to charge with S2 violent disorder which is a very serious offence and almost always gets sent to a crown court to deal with. The pitch invader was only charged with pitch encroachment which is nothing and common assault which only carries a maximum sentence of 6 months. It is a worrying loophole because now every fan in the country knows that the sentence for attacking a player is likely to be a fraction of that imposed if you throw a bottle from 20 yards away in a street brawl.

That is why the sentence as so lenient.
Young Nibs said:
Sven I’m not sure if you're stupid or just pretending to be mate!
AV3

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:14 pm

AV3 wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:I am genuinely surprised by the leniency of the sentence. Not in anyway an expert (in anyway shape or form) but in my view this is far worse than having a pint in the Cornwall when fans hell bent on trouble attack you. But didn't those guys have some hefty sentences ?

& remember, some of the Villa fans sentenced went nowhere near the pub and still got 9 months.

I too am shocked at the leniency. The big difference is that because of the amount of people involved at the Cornwall, the police were able to charge with S2 violent disorder which is a very serious offence and almost always gets sent to a crown court to deal with. The pitch invader was only charged with pitch encroachment which is nothing and common assault which only carries a maximum sentence of 6 months. It is a worrying loophole because now every fan in the country knows that the sentence for attacking a player is likely to be a fraction of that imposed if you throw a bottle from 20 yards away in a street brawl.

It's the level of injury or causing distress to the public in the area you see,
As far as I can gather that punch up in the Cornwall resulted in some people getting badly injured and the whole incident would have caused anyone innocently passing to be in fear. In this case no one was seriously injured or placed in fear.
Without having looked closely at the Cornwall ph case, I did think they were unfortunate in a way because it seemed to have been less serious than you'd see three examples of in West London pubs most nights, but no one gets charged with violent disorder or affray.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Alan_in_China » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 am

AV3 wrote:

Found a loophole, are you serious? :laughing6:

Are you really suggesting thugs are going to be thinking to themselves.. "Nah, I won't get involved in any tear up pre- or post-match, I'll invade the pitch on national TV and assault a player. I'll only go to prison, lose my job and shame my family in the process."

Yeah, I can see it catching on.. :roll:
Alan_in_China

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:36 am

'It doesn't surprise me' Neil Warnock's damning verdict on Jack Grealish attack at Birmingham City

Birmingham Live

Tuesday 12th March 2019

Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish struck by pitch invader

Neil Warnock has called for more severe punishments for pitch invaders who attack football players after Sunday's incident in the Second City derby.

Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish was attacked by Birmingham City fan Paul Mitchell 10 minutes into the match at St Andrew's. He’s been sentenced to 14 weeks in prison and ordered to pay Grealish £100 compensation.

Chris Smalling was also confronted by a pitch invader during Arsenal's 2-0 victory over Manchester United, while Rangers defender James Tavernier was accosted by a Hibernian fan.

Reflecting on a damaging weekend for football, Cardiff City manager Warnock revealed he's contacted the FA on numerous occasions to voice his concerns.

“I wrote to the FA a few times in my career because I’ve always been worried about the dugout areas," he told talkSPORT.

"I’ve been close to being accosted a few times and I never think there’s enough cover from the stewards around so it doesn’t surprise me.

“For me it’s got to be a six-month prison sentence. People will think twice if it’s something like that – a deterrent. It’s got to be a little bit more severe for people like that.

“It’s too often now and it can’t continue and I think the FA have got to get a grip with the government because stewards can’t stop everything.

“There are thousands of people but if you get one nutter wanting to run they’ll get on somehow."

What's happening at Aston Villa?

Warnock added that clubs like Birmingham should not be punished for their fans' behaviour.

The Cardiff manager is now fearful fans could attack players with weapons.

He said: “It can be pretty frightening for the stewards when you see the hatred that they have in their faces sometimes. I smile at it but I don’t think just stewards should necessarily get punished for one fan.

“I don’t think a club should get punished for the behaviour of one fan.

“These people aren’t just doing this in football, they’re like this in their lifetime.

“I know there is some kind of check [for weapons] but I don’t think you can check everything with a metal detector.

“It’s going to take something like that incident with the tennis player Monica Seles (who was stabbed during a match in 1993). Who’d have thought that would happen in the modern day?

"We need to prevent something like that before it happens."
Attachments
image-3.jpg
image-3.jpg (122.46 KiB) Viewed 1882 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby AV3 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:32 pm

Alan_in_China wrote:
AV3 wrote:

Are you really suggesting thugs are going to be thinking to themselves.. "Nah, I won't get involved in any tear up pre- or post-match, I'll invade the pitch on national TV and assault a player. I'll only go to prison, lose my job and shame my family in the process."

I'm suggesting that there is a possibility.

Many people who are involved in this stuff are people who are desperate to prove themselves. I know because I used to be one of them many years ago. It is a lot easier to run onto a pitch & judas a player from behind than it is to stand on in a street brawl where the numbers are equal or even against you and you don't know what the bloke in front on either side of you is going to do because you are focusing on the bloke directly in front of you.

For anyone who wants to make a name for themselves, they will now realise that the consequences are far less for doing what happened on Sunday. And I don't mean losing a job, shaming a family either because you might be surprised to learn that some people don't care about that. I'd wager that the selfish little shit on Sunday didn't care twopence about his crummy job or his pregnant wife - He wanted the "glory" and nothing else mattered to him.
Young Nibs said:
Sven I’m not sure if you're stupid or just pretending to be mate!
AV3

Postby Alan_in_China » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:53 am

AV3 wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:
AV3 wrote:

I'm suggesting that there is a possibility.

Many people who are involved in this stuff are people who are desperate to prove themselves. I know because I used to be one of them many years ago. It is a lot easier to run onto a pitch & judas a player from behind than it is to stand on in a street brawl where the numbers are equal or even against you and you don't know what the bloke in front on either side of you is going to do because you are focusing on the bloke directly in front of you.

For anyone who wants to make a name for themselves, they will now realise that the consequences are far less for doing what happened on Sunday. And I don't mean losing a job, shaming a family either because you might be surprised to learn that some people don't care about that. I'd wager that the selfish little shit on Sunday didn't care twopence about his crummy job or his pregnant wife - He wanted the "glory" and nothing else mattered to him.

Running onto the pitch and attempting to attack a player isn't a new phenomenon, it may not be a regular occurrence, but it's certainly not something new.
As you said: .."And I don't mean losing a job, shaming a family either because you might be surprised to learn that some people don't care about that" - people with that kind of mindset don't care, they don't care whether the sentence is 14 weeks or 14 months.. they act on impulse and often under the influence.

Perhaps it could be said the sentence was too lenient, however, it's not going to lead to others following suit.
Alan_in_China

Previous

Return to General Chat