PSG's Qatar owners eye Championship club takeover

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:53 pm

PSG's mega-rich Qatar owners eye English club takeover - but with a Premier League twist
By Matt Maltby

PSG are regarded as one of the most powerful clubs in the world and have won the Ligue 1 title five times in the last six years

Paris Saint-Germain’s owners are reportedly interested in expanding their portfolio - and are targeting a Championship club, not a Premier League outfit.

Qatar Sports Investments (QSI) purchased the French giants in 2011 and have overseen a remarkable tenure that has seen the club become a European powerhouse.

PSG are now regarded as one of the most powerful clubs in the world and have won the Ligue 1 title five times in the last six years.

They’ve backed a string of managers including Laurent Blanc, Unai Emery and Thomas Tuchel with huge transfer war chests over the years, too.

Neymar and Kylian Mbappe have both arrived in Paris for world-record fees, with the club’s owners intent on making the club an attractive global brand.

And, according to The Telegraph , they now want to dabble in the market again by purchasing an English club.

The QSI company, which is chaired by Nasser Al-Khelaifi - who is also PSG's president - are believed to be seriously exploring the possibility of buying another football team.

It is claimed, via reports in France, that the most likely scenario is that they will buy a Championship club with potential.

Among the clubs touted are Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest and Queens Park Rangers, with the trio all boasting a significant fan base.

It’s understood the mega-rich owners would rather build a team into a powerhouse, increasing the likelihood that they’ll venture into the second-tier of English football.

UEFA rules prevent the same entity from controlling two clubs in European club competition.

That would mean if this potential club became successful and played in either the Champions League or Europa League, then the ownership structure would have to change.
Attachments
Nasser Al-Khelaifi.jpg
Nasser Al-Khelaifi.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 2765 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: PSG's Qatar owners eye Championship club takeover

Postby Sven » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Currently, Cardiff City are out of scope (as a Premier League club) and Swansea discount themselves under the laid down criteria "the most likely scenario is that they will buy a Championship club with potential"; something 'modern' Swansealona don't have! ;) :lol:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby theclaw » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:40 pm

Cardiff or Swansea are not an English team FFS.
theclaw

Postby skiprat » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:43 pm

QPR "a significant fan base" pmsl.
skiprat

Postby Sven » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:45 pm

theclaw wrote:Cardiff or Swansea are not an English team FFS.

They are in footballing terms, fella ;)

Cardiff are in the English Premier League and Swansea are in the English Football League Championship

I think you knew that but just wanted to maintain your propensity for using profanity at any opportunity :roll:
Sven

Postby bluesince62 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:12 am

Sven wrote:Currently, Cardiff City are out of scope (as a Premier League club) and Swansea discount themselves under the laid down criteria "the most likely scenario is that they will buy a Championship club with potential"; something 'modern' Swansealona don't have! ;) :lol:

Lose to Brighton mate,and we can chuck our hat in the ring :sad7: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:11 am

skiprat wrote:QPR "a significant fan base" pmsl.

Thought as that cannot fill a small stadium for big games! But they are planning new stadium so things could change given unlimited funds as these potential buyers have. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Wayne S » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:52 pm

skiprat wrote:QPR "a significant fan base" pmsl.

One word....... "London"

May not be football fans yet but there is a massive population.

Foreigners love the big city plus they have "Queen" in their title. They love that sort of shit.

Surely Villa or Leeds are their best bet.
Wayne S

Return to General Chat