I think it's all over

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I think it's all over

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 am

We'll certainly know by tomorrow evening but I was just looking at the remaining games and the best possible outcome within reason is losing out to Brighton on goal difference.

Of course we live in hope of a freak result against Liverpool or Manchester United but we can't rely on that.

Even if we win every "winnable" game and Brighton lose the ones they're likely to lose it'll be a tie ,and as we know , goal difference isn't our thing.

Who knows, something might yet happen but it'd have to be a freak occurrence at this point.

On the bright side, we've gotten into the premiership twice in the last few years after half a century when that seemed impossible . Perhaps we can do a Burnley or perhaps this was our high water mark.

It was close, and in the end it was a few bad refereeing decisions which made the difference although we shouldn't have been sailing that close to the wind in the first place.

I don't know whether I've got the willpower to get this invested in it anymore - the game's changed so much now and other than the pleasure of seeing Cardiff City succeed - which they have- I don't much like some of the characters involved or the fact that success at the very top is bought rather than earned.

Maybe I'll feel better after a bit of sunshine in the summer, or even if they somehow pull off a Houdini like escape at the last moment.
SirJimmySchoular

I think it's all over

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: I think it's all over

Postby Bonner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:43 am

Well it ain’t over til it’s over.. let’s give it out best shot..
If we do down, then let’s go again, the Champiinship is still a great division to be in.. lots of good teams ...
Football gets you down, but when your club wins there is no better feeling...
Bonner

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:00 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:We'll certainly know by tomorrow evening but I was just looking at the remaining games and the best possible outcome within reason is losing out to Brighton on goal difference.

Of course we live in hope of a freak result against Liverpool or Manchester United but we can't rely on that.

Even if we win every "winnable" game and Brighton lose the ones they're likely to lose it'll be a tie ,and as we know , goal difference isn't our thing.

Who knows, something might yet happen but it'd have to be a freak occurrence at this point.

On the bright side, we've gotten into the premiership twice in the last few years after half a century when that seemed impossible . Perhaps we can do a Burnley or perhaps this was our high water mark.

It was close, and in the end it was a few bad refereeing decisions which made the difference although we shouldn't have been sailing that close to the wind in the first place.

I don't know whether I've got the willpower to get this invested in it anymore - the game's changed so much now and other than the pleasure of seeing Cardiff City succeed - which they have- I don't much like some of the characters involved or the fact that success at the very top is bought rather than earned.

Maybe I'll feel better after a bit of sunshine in the summer, or even if they somehow pull off a Houdini like escape at the last moment.

Im the eternal optimist but if we beat Brighton we’ll be 2 points behind them.
Realistically our only real hope of points is Palace & Fulham
I’m reckoning 4 points from that which will put us 2 up on Brighton (1 if you look at GD)
They have a poor run in and are in free fall. It’s possible they could get just 1 point.

All of that is with us getting 4 points from Pslace and Fulham. Dare I say we may get 6?
All academic if we don’t win tomorrow mind.

I’d say at the moment it’s around 75/25 in Brighton favour but will go to 65/35 if we beat them.
Hope this all helps lol :lol:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Llan_Blue » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:06 am

but you reassured us all season we’d finish tenth.

How can this be? your never wrong
Llan_Blue

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:50 am

If we need to go to Old Trafford and get a point last game of the season although tough I don't think its impossible. Their players will be looking forward to their beach holidays by if their position is secure.

All ifs and buts, the biggest thing is beating Brighton and they will be favourites
2blue2handle

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:but you reassured us all season we’d finish tenth.

How can this be your never wrong

:laughing5: I was thinking exactly the same how can Sir Jim be wrong?
Tony Blue Williams

Postby nojac » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Give 100% tomorrow and hopefully non biased officials,and you never know.
But I would assume Brighton will be trying 100% too , so it should be a crazy game of nerves.
But I think we are overdue some luck,so fingers crossed we can sneak it .
Anyway I quite like the championship ;)
nojac

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Bonner wrote:Well it ain’t over til it’s over.. let’s give it out best shot..
If we do down, then let’s go again, the Champiinship is still a great division to be in.. lots of good teams ...
Football gets you down, but when your club wins there is no better feeling...

That's how I feel. If or when we go down we do so in a far better shape than we did last time. We must have made a healthy profit this season and no doubt player contracts have relegation clauses and no Boney situation where a player is on £70 grand a week. We have substantial parachute payments for 2 seasons £40m for next and £35m for the year after.

Our FFP position will be strong and provided the money made is invested wisely we should in theory be competitive for the next few years.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

:lol:
The most pompous poster on here ..... surely he hasn’t gotten something wrong?
No, it can’t be. He’s always right in his own mind at least.
;)
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby fred keenor » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:46 pm

A little worrying that NW stated in this mornings press conference, he had not heard anything from Vinnie or Mehmet? Thought at least there would be a telephone call giving him support for the difficult matches we have had.
fred keenor

Postby Crayfish » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:56 pm

The problem for me is we don't score goals away from home our total of nine is the worst in the top at least seven divisions of English football in fact I could not find any team who had scored less than us. I did manage to find one team who had scored the same as us nine goals it was Halesowen in the Evo-Stick Southern central premier. The have played more games than us too 19 as opposed to 16 so stuff you Halesowen. Given that we score one goal every two games away I can't see how we are going to beat both Brighton and Fulham or even get four points out of those games. Admittedly Brighton are a bit crap at the moment but so are we.

If anyone thinks we will stay up get down to the bookies they must be offering terrific odds on us staying up.
Crayfish

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:02 pm

fred keenor wrote:A little worrying that NW stated in this mornings press conference, he had not heard anything from Vinnie or Mehmet? Thought at least there would be a telephone call giving him support for the difficult matches we have had.

Think positive they dont want to get in the way of preparations. Sure they'll send good luck messages at right time :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Bluebina » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Crayfish wrote:The problem for me is we don't score goals away from home our total of nine is the worst in the top at least seven divisions of English football in fact I could not find any team who had scored less than us. I did manage to find one team who had scored the same as us nine goals it was Halesowen in the Evo-Stick Southern central premier. The have played more games than us too 19 as opposed to 16 so stuff you Halesowen. Given that we score one goal every two games away I can't see how we are going to beat both Brighton and Fulham or even get four points out of those games. Admittedly Brighton are a bit crap at the moment but so are we.

If anyone thinks we will stay up get down to the bookies they must be offering terrific odds on us staying up.

Maybe the fact that one of them is just a few points ahead of us and just got stuffed five-nil at home, by a team we beat and one of them is below us in the league, gives us just a slight glimmer of hope?
Bluebina

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:53 pm

We’ll find out tomorrow night if we still have a chance.

Strange time to make this post, and even stranger that it’s a sticky.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby BLUEBIRD » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Got to win tomorrow night to stand any chance
BLUEBIRD

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Actually I'm usually not, but I hope I am on this one.
I still think we could have made tenth but a combination of bad luck , terrible mistakes and the psychological blow of a dreadful tragedy got in the way. We had the tools but we didn't get the breaks we might have expected.

Hey, I'm still hoping too. I didn't mean to sound defeatist.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:52 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

;)

Bit harsh I think.
Everyone gets stuff wrong occasionally, but I've found its no bad thing to be decisive or confident. It can often be the crucial factor and in general I've been successful in doing that. The alternative is to be wishy washy.
You can often transmit determination and confidence - even expectation and that's only ever meant to help you know. I'll admit that there was a touch of that in the tenth place thing, but I don't apologise.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Bluebina » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

;)

Bit harsh I think.
Everyone gets stuff wrong occasionally, but I've found its no bad thing to be decisive or confident. It can often be the crucial factor and in general I've been successful in doing that. The alternative is to be wishy washy.
You can often transmit determination and confidence - even expectation and that's only ever meant to help you know. I'll admit that there was a touch of that in the tenth place thing, but I don't apologise.

Has a team ever lost their most expensive signing through a plane crash into the sea in a single-engined aircraft before he ever played before?

Without mentioning the penalties not given to us and generally appaling decisions given against us, it was almost impossible for our 11 to beat 15, week after week, especially when the extra four officials could do what they liked and held all the cards.

We've had the worst luck possible but, if we beat Brighton, you never know :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Bluebina

Postby thomasblue » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:09 pm

If we win tomorrow then it is in our hands really.

We would then have to beat palace and Fulham to stay up imo
thomasblue

Postby Steve Zodiak » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:12 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

;)

Bit harsh I think.

Always thought Jimmy that you were being a lot more optimistic than realistic with your top ten forecast. Personally, I thought from day one that this was going to be a long season of constant struggle with a possibility of 17th place if things went well on and off the pitch. Still possible but unlikely.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:42 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

;)

Bit harsh I think.

Always thought Jimmy that you were being a lot more optimistic than realistic with your top ten forecast. Personally, I thought from day one that this was going to be a long season of constant struggle with a possibility of 17th place if things went well on and off the pitch. Still possible but unlikely.

I always thought the same. From the start of the season i thought we'd probably be somwehere between 16th and 19th and be fighting a relegation battle. I didnt think we'd be 20th as the team that usually ends up there has a lack of fight and tends to down tools, and thats not something you'll ever find in a Neil Warnock side, however anyone who thought we'd be higher is deluded imo because you only have to look at the quality of players in other teams squads, and the amount of money these teams have spent to know we'd be in a relegtion battle. Imo we've done better than i thought we'd do considering we started the season with no preimer league striker and more or less the same team that played in the championship who were deemed to be overachieving. I really hope we stay up but if we do go down the quality of players coming in has got to be better next season and not players like Bacuna, Cunningham, and Madine who are average championship players who can "do a job".
Bluebird Warrior

Postby Dahboy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm

It's simple? we dont win tomorrow we are down. For me a pointless strung out season and warnock should resign.
Dahboy

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:19 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:We’ll find out tomorrow night if we still have a chance.

I never know what a sticky is and I'd be interested to learn.

No it's not a strange time really. The whole point was that when I was looking at the permutations this morning I realised with horror that the Brighton result isn't likely to save us because even if subsequent the games go as we want them to it'll only bring us level with them. I'm not saying it's impossible that it can happen but we really need a point against Liverpool or Manchester United now because we got bugger all at Burnley.

Anyway, no one should think I'm being negative because I promise you I'll be hoping right to the line. I just spoke my thoughts and maybe I shouldn't have but I expect like everyone else I'm trying to cope with a reality I don't like much.

I don't take anything away from Sir Neil or the boys either. It's been a brave effort which may yet succeed but it's looking hard at the moment. Having said this I keep thinking we'll get away with it somehow, but I'm not sure how .
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Cardiff dyskinesia » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:43 pm

I do find it irritating that at the beginning of the season when some supporters made comments based on a sense of realism, they were criticised for being negative. In summary, we had the spirit but not the class. Anyway, I think we’ll finish 10th
Cardiff dyskinesia

Postby dogfound » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:04 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

;)

Bit harsh I think.

so you've ditched the transmitting determination and confidence

and taken up transmitting defeatism and negativity.

I agree both can be crucial factors.
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:52 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:We’ll find out tomorrow night if we still have a chance.

:lol: :lol:
and theres me thinking it was you making his and that grange.end1927s posts stickies..
dogfound

Postby streamfeeder » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:02 am

brightons only chance of a win is tonight, we need 2 wins out of tonight fulham and palace, if we do win tonight,( i got a feeling it will end in draw), but if we can nick a win its all to play for and game on.
streamfeeder

Return to General Chat