POLL: VAR NOW YOU'VE SEEN IT

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Now seen in action, do you think VAR will be positive or negative for the game of football?

Positive
55%
Negative
33%
Still unsure
12%

Total votes : 60

Postby Sven » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:55 pm

VAR is now a regular thing at top end games and England have been on the receiving end of two disallowed goals that I am confident would have stood previously

Whilst I agree with goal line technology and post-match reviews of disciplinary matters, having now seen VAR in use, I am of the strong opinion that VAR will ruin the spectacle and debate of football as we know it

With its introduction to the Premier League and others next season, we are sure to se a big increase in game time interference (on top of the already tactical stops) and also the beginning of the sanitisation of football to the point where few decisions will be debatable and almost all given or declined on pure technicalities
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: POLL: VAR NOW YOU'VE SEEN IT

Postby Jimmykingz » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:14 pm

It take away a certain human element for me. No doubt we could have benefited from it this last season but that’s part of my love of football.

It works in rugby as you naturally have long breaks in play. I personally think football is too quick of a game for video analysis.

I can understand why people want it though. There is too much on the line in the modern day game that one mistake can have huge effects on the outcome of a game
b*stard
Jimmykingz

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:19 pm

Sven England goal today was technically a foul but what's going to happen next season when every man and his dog hold players at corners? What makes me laugh is the referee no longer as control of a game var does because it's his opinion of what he sees that counts not referees? Ultimately feel var will expand just like tmo as in rugby and spontaneity will go out game look at England other night var killed the momentum and excitement by stopping game twice in couple of minutes..
pembroke allan

Postby 2blue2handle » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:23 pm

I still don't think it will stop the big teams getting the decisions.

I can see why people want it but personally I hate it.
2blue2handle

Postby dogfound » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:26 pm

Jimmykingz wrote:It take away a certain human element for me. No doubt we could have benefited from it this last season but that’s part of my love of football.

It works in rugby as you naturally have long breaks in play. I personally think football is too quick of a game for video analysis.

I can understand why people want it though. There is too much on the line in the modern day game that one mistake can have huge effects on the outcome of a game

my issue is that most of the rescent decisions...if called by VAR the opposite way would still have been called correct...people still argue there is not this overwhelming thought of how wonderful it is. its purely the opinion of someone less qualified than the ref...absolutely nutty bonkers..the technology that is not technology...
dogfound

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:35 pm

dogfound wrote:
Jimmykingz wrote:It take away a certain human element for me. No doubt we could have benefited from it this last season but that’s part of my love of football.

my issue is that most of the rescent decisions...if called by VAR the opposite way would still have been called correct...people still argue there is not this overwhelming thought of how wonderful it is. its purely the opinion of someone less qualified than the ref...absolutely nutty bonkers..the technology that is not technology...

Take England offside goal other night was less than 2 inches in it that is bonkers to disallow goal because of shoelace being to long! And that's my point referee no longer makes decisions var does and is that person equally qualified to do that?
pembroke allan

Postby jimmy_rat » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:53 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Take England offside goal other night was less than 2 inches in it that is bonkers to disallow goal because of shoelace being to long! And that's my point referee no longer makes decisions var does and is that person equally qualified to do that?

2 inches is 2 inches! At least offisde is black and white, as is the new hand ball rule! It's the penalty decisions where they're deciding if it was a foul or not that are going to be the worst. It'll still be given to Liverpool and never given to teams like Sheff United/Norwich.
jimmy_rat

Postby deadmouse » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:14 pm

if VAR is to be used as it was today nil-nil draws will be a good bet..
but it will not be and hasn't been ? its about as consistent as hospital custard.
deadmouse

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:36 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:

2 inches is 2 inches! At least offisde is black and white, as is the new hand ball rule! It's the penalty decisions where they're deciding if it was a foul or not that are going to be the worst. It'll still be given to Liverpool and never given to teams like Sheff United/Norwich.

Was being generous with 2ins suspect was less and what happened to clear and obvious mistake? Guess call 2ins an obvious mistake :laughing6: if you think handball will be black and white your in for a shock at end day every decision is a matter of interpretation of incident as we've seen only person who thinks some decisions are right are the var official even ex refs say it was wrong! Var is supposed to eradicate disparities with big/small teams but you've just said it won't do so var not fit for purpose if that's the case.... :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:43 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Was being generous with 2ins suspect was less and what happened to clear and obvious mistake? Guess call 2ins an obvious mistake :laughing6: if you think handball will be black and white your in for a shock at end day every decision is a matter of interpretation of incident as we've seen only person who thinks some decisions are right are the var official even ex refs say it was wrong! Var is supposed to eradicate disparities with big/small teams but you've just said it won't do so var not fit for purpose if that's the case.... :roll:

Ps var Gave handball in Scot/eng game no one believes it was pen from both sides and that's the new rule coming into play..... but its var
officials interpretation and hes always right? :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby jimmy_rat » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:49 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Ps var Gave handball in Scot/eng game no one believes it was pen from both sides and that's the new rule coming into play..... but its var
officials interpretation and hes always right? :roll:

Yeah. I'm sure it's pretty much if the ball hits the hand it's a pen? Unless the hand is against the body. I.e. you can't make your body any larger.
jimmy_rat

Postby WelshPatriot » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Personally think it's great.

Heard English commentators say the following today:

"The offside was marginal"

"That was a light foul"

Well offside is offside regardless how marginal, VAR was correct.

A foul is a foul regardless how light VAR was correct

If it wasn't for VAR Holland may have been robbed of a final.
WelshPatriot

Postby WelshPatriot » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:53 pm

Imagine if we had VAR in 77
Attachments
joe-jordan-uses-his-hand-against-wales-35-years-ago-539234711.jpg
joe-jordan-uses-his-hand-against-wales-35-years-ago-539234711.jpg (40.73 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
WelshPatriot

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:25 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:Imagine if we had VAR in 77

We would still be waiting on var to make minds up! :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby dogfound » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:25 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:Imagine if we had VAR in 77

his arm is over his shoulder mate...another ref might not have given it. VAR would though. or might have, depends what sort of not good enough to ref bloke is in the tv box...
time will tell...but for me the advantages are not clear enough to be disrupting the game..
dogfound

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:28 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:Personally think it's great.

"That was a light foul"

Disallowed England goal for a pull on defender should seen two pulls on Holland players at corner just as bad and fck all given seems like you can rugby tackle in area as long as player doesn't fall over? :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby dogfound » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:37 pm

"That was a light foul"

regardless how light ?....let me know when you've watched a game where that is upheld constantly...if im in the other place ask st peter if you can send me a message..
dogfound

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:45 pm

If we'd had VAR we wouldn't have been relegated
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Sven » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:43 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:If we'd had VAR we wouldn't have been relegated

In one game but not in a certain other ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Bluebina » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:19 am

If we had it last year we would still be in the premier league!
Bluebina

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:07 am

"That was a light foul"

Your basically saying whatever decision var makes its a correct one? Considering fouls handball ect are based on a persons interpretation of whether it was an infringement or not! But when you get ex refs saying not an infringement how right is var? You will see next season how many var pens are given for handball that others will say no pen ! What is a silhouette when you are falling over because if hand out to stop you falling on face ball hits hand bar will give a pen mind boggles at the thought of 10 or more stoppages in a game. :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby dogfound » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:33 am

maybe
apart from anything else teams who have the least possession and are in their own half more than the opponents half are likely to get the least VAR decisions..? and even if equal are more likely to be getting them in their defending half ? over the last 4/5 games you can make a case but over a whole season ?
you just do not know..
if id watched one single VAR game with zero disagreement and pundits in total unified praise of the VAR i might have a different view..but
there were 2 games yesterday which were VAR.ed completely differently..??????????..its not technology by any stretch of the imagination its interpretation and opinion just as it is without VAR only now you have less qualified blokes putting presure on more qualified blokes who are actually out there...i have a photo of me holding the tower in piza up too. doesnt mean i did..my wife knows this as she took the pic..VAR would have me as the new charles atlas...
dogfound

Postby JJ1927 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:09 pm

I don't like it because it takes away the spontaneous excitement of a goal. Now everyone is waiting to see if VAR is going to intervene. But worse still is the stupidity of the new handball rule. Its interesting to note that most people who say its daft are players and the ones who seem to agree with it are referees. As someone said on tv recently, they know the rules but don't understand the game.

Next season will see the aim of the game being to hit a ball onto the hand of your opponent in the penalty area in knowledge that the jobsworth operating VAR -who knows the rules but doesn't understand the game -will alert the referee.

We will see less goals in open play and a succession of games won on a penalty. Depressing.
JJ1927

Postby RV Casual » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:35 pm

Sven wrote:VAR is now a regular thing at top end games and England have been on the receiving end of two disallowed goals that I am confident would have stood previously

Whilst I agree with goal line technology and post-match reviews of disciplinary matters, having now seen VAR in use, I am of the strong opinion that VAR will ruin the spectacle and debate of football as we know it

With its introduction to the Premier League and others next season, we are sure to se a big increase in game time interference (on top of the already tactical stops) and also the beginning of the sanitisation of football to the point where few decisions will be debatable and almost all given or declined on pure technicalities

It's not for me Sven, I am with you on this one.
RV Casual

Postby Bluebina » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:21 pm

100%, of course, we would have, they couldn't turn a blind eye to every decision against us they would have had to review and be fair, it would take the excuse we couldn't see it which nine times out of ten worked against us.
Bluebina

Postby BC-CB » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:42 pm

I don't think much of current referees, God help future refs. Might as well let technology take over and forget refs altogether. Problem then is football dies as no technology on the parks. VAR effectively alters the laws of the game.
BC-CB

Postby Sam ReaN » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:12 pm

For Sure It's A Positive, The Only Problem With It Is That It's Not In The EFL Leagues.
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Return to General Chat